Island Massage

gjcocruiser

I'm sure you realize just how much territory you're covering there. Care to narrow it down a little? I'm assuming you're asking about a land based therapist vs a spa masseur/masseuse?
Yes land-based therapist I'm on back-to-back 20-day cruises I'll be in St Thomas, Martinique ,Granada, Bonaire ,Curacao, St. Kitts ,St Lucia, Barbados and Antigua

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

I doubt you'll find a "massage therapist" offering massages on the beach....if you google your ports and "massage therapy", you may find your answer. Most folks are simply looking for a massage of the "spa" variety...not sure how they differ, but if you are looking for some sort of medical manipulation, I'm wishing you good luck!

Many people, myself included, have massage as part of a therapy program for various issues.

Certainly massage is often an important part of therapy prescribed by a physician. But, if it's "therapeutic" massage that you want/need, the practitioner to seek out would be a registered physical therapist, someone with far more rigorous professional preparation and experience than what is generally offered by "massage therapists" (or even "physical therapy assistants."

If you've got decent medical insurance, go to a P.T.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Certainly massage is often an important part of therapy prescribed by a physician. But, if it's "therapeutic" massage that you want/need, the practitioner to seek out would be a registered physical therapist, someone with far more rigorous professional preparation and experience than what is generally offered by "massage therapists" (or even "physical therapy assistants."

If you've got decent medical insurance, go to a P.T.

Um, no. Of course the US has much more lax standards and requirements than in Canada, where Massage Therapy is a registered health profession with rather strict standards for registration and practice. But even in the US (which varies from state to state), a massage therapist has to undergo post secondary training that can take years. Any PT worth going to would refer his patient to a RMT if massage therapy was indicated. And check your insurance. Ours covers massage therapy by a registered massage therapist. Please don't confuse trained professional massage therapists with the service providers at the usual store front massage parlours.

Um, no. Of course the US has much more lax standards and requirements than in Canada, where Massage Therapy is a registered health profession with rather strict standards for registration and practice. But even in the US (which varies from state to state), a massage therapist has to undergo post secondary training that can take years. Any PT worth going to would refer his patient to a RMT if massage therapy was indicated. And check your insurance. Ours covers massage therapy by a registered massage therapist. Please don't confuse trained professional massage therapists with the service providers at the usual store front massage parlours.

No matter how or where you slice it or dice it, massage therapists fall far short of the training, experience and licensure requirements expected of a registered physical therapist.

No matter how or where you slice it or dice it, massage therapists fall far short of the training, experience and licensure requirements expected of a registered physical therapist.

I think you are still refusing to acknowledge that they have different areas of expertise. PTs fall far short of the training, experience and licensure requirements of an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine. But I wouldn't expect him/her to be able to competently provide the services of either of these other professionals. The Orthos that I know will refer patients to PTs or RMTs (or both), according to the specific needs of their patient. And it is very common here for PTs to refer their clients to a RMT if it is indicated. Why would they do that if RMTs are so "inferior"?

Here in the US I go regularly to a licensed massage therapist for deep tissue massages. Since I will will be on 2 20 day cruises I was looking for recommendations on the islands rather than having the people on the ship do the work. I haven't found the shipboard work to be worth the exorbitant prices charged. I will check the island boards. Thanks for the advice.

I think you are still refusing to acknowledge that they have different areas of expertise. PTs fall far short of the training, experience and licensure requirements of an orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine. But I wouldn't expect him/her to be able to competently provide the services of either of these other professionals. The Orthos that I know will refer patients to PTs or RMTs (or both), according to the specific needs of their patient. And it is very common here for PTs to refer their clients to a RMT if it is indicated. Why would they do that if RMTs are so "inferior"?

"Expertise" in any scientifically related field demands an in-depth academic preparation even before the specific training associated with therapeutic work. A HS diploma or GED, which is all that is required to be admitted to a massage "therapist" program is hardly the same as a BS (or in some cases, MS [for many of the DPT programs]) degree with the proper extent of prerequisite coursework in anatomy and physiology that is reasonably expected of someone who will lay their hands on you for reasons of healing.

And let's face it, there's also the reality that some (but admittedly not all) folks who go to massage school do so because they either couldn't get into a PT program or didn't want/couldn't afford to invest the time/energy to pursue that clearly preferred course of professional preparation.

Finally, I'm betting that if you were to seek a referral from an orthopedist affiliated with a university medical school or one of it's clinics, it is a PT that would be prescribed, even for massage.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

"

Finally, I'm betting that if you were to seek a referral from an orthopedist affiliated with a university medical school or one of it's clinics, it is a PT that would be prescribed, even for massage.

Then you couldn't be more wrong. My surgeon is also the head of the department at a major teaching hospital. He regularly refers to RMTs as well as PTs and occasionally, when the need arises, to OTs. You appear to have a particular prejudice against these practitioners (and again, I am speaking of qualified, professional therapists, not the purveyors if the rub and tug variety), and an overinflated one for PTs in an area they are unlikely to have much in depth instruction. I will debate this no further with you.

OP, yes, please check each of the Ports of call forums for the islands you will be visiting. Someone may know of a good wellness centre where you could make an appointment, rather than a day spa. You might also try asking the same question on the island specific forums on TripAdvisor. Many of those forums have very helpful and knowledgeable local posters.

• 3 months later...
I always have to chuckle when someone who does massage is now referred to as a "therapist."

If you’d ever suffered debilitating neck pain, you’d understand. You might need to search for one that fits your needs, but I wouldn’t give mine up. PS, she doesn’t expect a tip either. I don’t tip my physical therapist.

"Expertise" in any scientifically related field demands an in-depth academic preparation even before the specific training associated with therapeutic work. A HS diploma or GED, which is all that is required to be admitted to a massage "therapist" program is hardly the same as a BS (or in some cases, MS [for many of the DPT programs]) degree with the proper extent of prerequisite coursework in anatomy and physiology that is reasonably expected of someone who will lay their hands on you for reasons of healing.

And let's face it, there's also the reality that some (but admittedly not all) folks who go to massage school do so because they either couldn't get into a PT program or didn't want/couldn't afford to invest the time/energy to pursue that clearly preferred course of professional preparation.

Hmm, so you plumber does not have expertise? Or your electrician? Or any of the MANY professionals in MANY areas that do not have college degrees?

And PT is a different set of skills than a registered or licensed massage therapist.

And strangely, my orthopedic DOCTOR, gave me scripts for BOTH PT and massage therapy for my back issues. But what would a DOCTOR know about that, since you are obviously such an expert.

Oh, and my orthopedist is affiliated with one of the major sports medicine clinics in the Baltimore area. And supply services to several pro teams.