Norwegian Spirit Reviews

Ourhappyplace

Hello and good morning to everyone.

My family and I really want to take a cruise to the Canary Islands out of Barcelona, Spain in November and we have read bad reviews about the Spirit in some places and good reviews in others.

Can anyone here tell us the real story of the Norwegian Spirit? Someone who has actually been on the ship.

Thanks in advance for the reviews.

We've sailed on the Spirit three times in the Med and enjoyed every one of them. She doesn't have the bells and whistles that the mega ships have and maybe that's one problem folks have. The crew has always been fantastic, and ship is easy to navigate, access to shows is easy, she was spruced up in dry dock last year, and there's a great viewing area up top. And because the Med itineraries are port-intensive, there's little need for water slides, rock-climbing walls, go-carts, and 30 bars. You don't have anything to worry about with this ship.

Well I was on in January with my wife and friends and we had a great time,weather was great, the itinerary was great but some issues with where shuttle drops you in Casablanca,food was very good in our opinion in all restaurants and we didn't use specialty ones. We also thought entertainment was very good overall. So we all thought excellent value for money.

Hello, My wife and I were on that same itinerary on December 3rd thru the 13th 2017. We really enjoyed the cruise. We had been on the Epic and the Getaway and as was said before the Spirit is smaller but we felt less crowded than the Epic or the Getaway. There were not as many activities as the Epic on the sea days,but the ports were fantastic. We really enjoyed the international travelers from the UK that were alot of fun. We had a midship balcony and most of the time we didn't even feel like we were moving. We ate at the Teppanyaki and Cagneys which were very good. Crew members were all very friendly. It seemed to attract a bit of an older crowd of cruisers but we all had fun. Keep in mind and you may be aware of this but when we were in Spanish ports or just out of Spanish ports you pay a tax on your drinks. The notice was posted whenever that applied even with the ultimate beverage package. It wasn't an issue for us since it was only usaully less than 2 dollars. As far as the ports, they were fantastic !

We are going on the Spirit for the fourth time next month and will be booking a fifth and maybe a sixth cruise for next year when the itineraries are released.

It is a lot different from the newer ships, and that is one of the reasons for the mixture in reviews.

I wouldn’t say that the Spirit is my favourite ship. It is a so different to the mega ships that I don’t think you can compare the two.

There are certainly some negatives. The cabins are smaller, and the age means that there so seem to be more maintenance issues. Some people complain about smells, especially from the bathrooms, and I have noticed this in the past, but to a small extent. Nothing to be a major problem.

Obviously you are missing the water slides, ropes courses etc. If that is a big problem then I wouldn’t recommend the Spirit. We like those things, but they aren’t essential. There are also less food options than the newer ships and fewer bars.

But in my opinion there are a number of areas where the Spirit beats other ships. We have always found the staff to be the best of all the NCL ships. Whilst there are fewer venues, some of them are amongst our favourites.

Henry’s Pub is a great bar, for example, with a real pub atmosphere. Best of all, in my opinion, is Raffles Terrace at the back of the ship, which slopes down from the buffet. We always enjoy breakfast out there, and have enjoyed many a lazy afternoon during sea days relaxing with a drink and maybe a snack whilst watching the wake. Just thinking about it makes me crave a cruise. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the Mediterranean last October on the Spirit and enjoyed it very much. I haven’t been on any of the newer NCL ships but she’s on par with the other older NCL ships that I’ve been on. Wind, Star, Pearl, POA

The inside family “sideways” cabins are way bigger than any inside cabin we’ve ever had on any cruise ship.

I will be doing the Canary Islands in 2 weeks on the Spirit again.

Thanks very much to all who have responded so far. Your reviews are very helpful. I had truly hoped the bad things we read were not as terrible as portrayed because we really want to cruise to the Canary Islands.

Does anyone have insider info on which cabins would be the best to look for and did NCL offer the chance to bid on the upgrades on this itinerary? The last cruise we did just this past Thanksgiving we had the chance to bid and won an upgrade to a Suite from a Mid Ship mini suite for just $500 each. We had some serious issues with the room but NCL worked with us to make it right. So I would not be adverse to trying an upgrade again.

Thanks again for all the responses and I look forward to hearing more.

Thanks very much to all who have responded so far. Your reviews are very helpful. I had truly hoped the bad things we read were not as terrible as portrayed because we really want to cruise to the Canary Islands.

Does anyone have insider info on which cabins would be the best to look for and did NCL offer the chance to bid on the upgrades on this itinerary? The last cruise we did just this past Thanksgiving we had the chance to bid and won an upgrade to a Suite from a Mid Ship mini suite for just $500 each. We had some serious issues with the room but NCL worked with us to make it right. So I would not be adverse to trying an upgrade again.

I just received an upgrade email for March

I was on the Spirit for 11 nights in April 2017, and it was an EXCELLENT cruise. I went on a Western Med cruise with my best friend, and we had the Specialty Dining Package promo. We ate in Cagney's and Le Bistro; the food was above excellent! The nights we ate in the main dining room we found the food and service to be wonderful; no problems or complaints.

The ship was lovely, in good condition, and had just come out of drydock for refurbishing a few months before.

The crew were gracious and very cheerful.

We also had the Shore Excursion Discount promo, and the excursions were excellent as well.

I would go back to the Spirit in a heartbeat; as a matter of fact I'm trying to convince my friend to go on a Greek Isles cruise this Fall.

We've been on the Spirit twice, last time Dec 2015. It is the oldest ship in the NCL fleet but it is a great ship.

As far as rooms, I'd book one of the suites. They are great on this ship.

If you are thinking of an ocean view cabin, the mid-ship cabins on deck 4 are great. Nice size, good light from the window, but the real plus is they are located next to the debark/embark doors while in port. No elevator waiting: you just go through security, make a u-turn down to the hallway, and you are in your cabin within seconds. We LOVED this location! Plus, the elevators are steps away.

We had a wonderful cruise on the Spirit. It was, without a doubt, overall the best service we have ever received on any ship, on any line.

The ship itself is older and smaller and has few bells and whistles, but as a hotel that drove us from place to place -- fantastic!

Hello cruisers, my wife and I (and another couple/friends) will be on the Spirit later this month, I have not been to Europe before...wonder what I need to know as far as currency off the ship at ports? Thank you in advance for info and advice!!

All of the ports other than Casablanca use Euros. You will be able to use credit cards in most places, but it’s worth having some Euros as well for small purchases or the occasional places that don’t take cards. I’d get some out from an atm at the airport.

In Casablanca, it depends what you are doing. If you are on an NCL tour then there should be need for local currency, as the places they will take you should accept cards and dollars/Euros in cash. The same should be true of any private tours.

If you are heading off by yourself in Casablanca then you may need currency but, and I say this as someone who prefers to do it ourselves, currency is not the biggest issue you will face in that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are going to love your cruise! My friend and I left on 3/15/17 for 11 nights, and loved the ship and the itinerary. Euros is the predominant currency, unless you are in the UK. Croatia has there own currency, but accepts Euros.

There are three basic opinions about cash in Europe. One is to order currency through your bank. The other is to use ATMs on your trip. The third is to use the ship's currency desk to get Euro's.

Taking Euros with you means paying the fee for them, AND trying to second-guess how much you will need. Then, you have to pay another fee to convert them back to USD when you get back, unless you plan to travel to Europe again. Plus, you have to keep the Euros safe, and when you're in port and you need more money, having it in the cabin safe doesn't help you much.

Skipping to the third option, getting Euros on board the ship you will probably pay a higher fee, but I've done this in a pinch. I found the conversion rate not too much more than normal, but they will round up to the nearest Euro, as they don't give out coins.

Using ATMs is my preference. I've cruised in Europe 5 times, and done short land trips before and after 4 times. I opened a Schwab savings account before our first trip in 2005, and find the debit card invaluable in Europe. You can withdraw from any ATM, anywhere, and the ATM fees are reimbursed when your monthly statement is produced. They have improved getting money into the account with their mobile app. We leave for a b2b2b next month in the Caribbean, and I just deposited our traveling money using my phone. I wrote a paper check, deposited it using the mobile app, and the money was available within 48 hours.

You just walk up to any ATM and get your Euros, plus you can just get enough for that day, and not carry a lot of cash with you.

When I fly into Europe, I research the airport to find an ATM. Most aiports have very detailed maps, plus you can ask any information desk where one is located. This is if you are taking a taxi and need to pay in cash. I usually book and pay my transfers ahead of time, but I like to have some local currency, anyway.

It doesn't matter what bank owns the ATM, you will get the fee reimbursed. Just allow for multiple fees over your trip, and put extra in your account before you leave.

Then, when you get home, just go to your regular bank's ATM, withdraw the remaining cash, then deposit it with your usual debit card right at the same ATM.

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide so much detail, very much appreciated!

You're very welcome. That's what these boards are for, and I like to pay it forward. I never know when I'm going to need advice and information.

We cruised on the Spirit to the Canaries from Nov 23rd to Dec 3rd 2017 there were 6 in our party and I can't say that any of us had a single complaint, infact the cruise was far better than I expected. The service was excellent, we were never left waiting or hanging on.

I liked the fact that the ship is a little quirky, things like the Blue Lagoon is just part of a corridor, the entrance to the theatre seems to be backwards, the shop seems hidden away but isn't. I think Henrys pub is too small and cramped and the usual complaints about finding a seat in the buffet at certain times. We could easily cope with those small things. Overall I was far more impressed than I thought I would be after reading some reviews on here.