Marina and Current Weather in French Polynesia

ksilver22

We arrived on Thursday night.

Friday and Saturday were intermittent showers, more on Saturday. More rain yesterday, although it cleared enough for us to eat at the roulottes.

Today was heavy rain most of the day. We got drenched on a one hour hike, couldn't do any other outdoor activities.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We have been in Moorea since Saturday. The weather was poor when we arrived and has gotten worse. High winds and heavy rain yesterday and overnight with more of the same this morning. We board Marina today. The itinerary has been changed in an effort to get to better weather for the cruise.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Forums mobile app

We have been in Moorea since Saturday. The weather was poor when we arrived and has gotten worse. High winds and heavy rain yesterday and overnight with more of the same this morning. We board Marina today. The itinerary has been changed in an effort to get to better weather for the cruise.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Forums mobile app

Sorry to read this.Moorea was beautiful when we were there just over a week ago.One of our favourite islands on our trip.We left Tahiti to fly to Los Angeles the following day and sadly those left in Papeete had dreadful rain,we had unusual warm,glorious sunshine.

I hope things get sorted so you can enjoy yourselves.

So sorry to hear of the itinerary change, it's disappointing but I'm sure necessary. Wishing you better weather and appreciate the update. Will keep fingers crossed for you and hope things improve for all of us on the 2/25 sailing. Enjoy!

Edited by ksilver22

We have a room with a Veranda Room on Deck 9....Is there coverage to be out on the Veranda during the rains?

My wife enjoys her morning cup of coffee./OJ on the Veranda....that was her bday present from me but I forgot to consult the rain gods.

..... let's see if it plays out this way.

We have a room with a Veranda Room on Deck 9....Is there coverage to be out on the Veranda during the rains?

My wife enjoys her morning cup of coffee./OJ on the Veranda....that was her bday present from me but I forgot to consult the rain gods.

..... let's see if it plays out this way.

We' in a veranda room also but on deck 7. I hope this picture I found of a veranda room opens up for you. Looks like there is some coverage.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/marina-526/veranda-cabin-354209/veranda-cabin--v16051176/

We' in a veranda room also but on deck 7. I hope this picture I found of a veranda room opens up for you. Looks like there is some coverage.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/marina-526/veranda-cabin-354209/veranda-cabin--v16051176/

That photograph is not of the veranda of a room but rather of a Penthouse Suite. The coverage is from the overhang of the pool deck (Deck 11) over Deck 10.

143338.jpg

Decks 7,8 and 9 may be protected from a "direct down" rain, but not much else

DSC_0673-496x716.jpg

DSC_0673-496x716.jpg

That photograph is not of the veranda of a room but rather of a Penthouse Suite. The coverage is from the overhang of the pool deck (Deck 11) over Deck 10.

143338.jpg

Decks 7,8 and 9 may be protected from a "direct down" rain, but not much else

DSC_0673-496x716.jpg

DSC_0673-496x716.jpg

Disagree. It looks identical in all aspects to the concierge veranda cabin we just had on deck 9 of the Marina. Our veranda was covered by the deck 10 penthouse veranda above us. The size of the veranda, the amount of cover from the cabin above and the furnishings are identical to what our cabin had.

The bathroom is also identical to ours.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks CoColab....I've never seen that picture good to know.....Warm rain isn't going to spoil her morning coffee..

Thanks CoColab....I've never seen that picture good to know.....Warm rain isn't going to spoil her morning coffee..

We're on the same cruise as you....hopefully we'll meet on board. We're coming from Milwaukee with a local radio station group. So there will be a lot of us beer, brat and "cheeseheads" on board.

I'm Mary and hubby is Abs

Hi, anyone in French Polynesia for a weather report? Is it raining as much as it says on the websites and cams? Has there been any sun? On Marina departing 2/25. Thanks!

Just got off the Feb 3 cruise and staying in Moorea for 2 more days. We haven't seen the sun since Feb 1. Rain everyday, the lagoons are muddy from rain running down the mountains. We joked about this being the black and white cruise, no turquoise water or blue skies. Hurricane conditions almost now, constant rain and big swells. Hope it subsides for your cruise. If we come back, it won't be in Feb.

On the other hand, the ship, crew and food were excellent, no complaints other than the weather.

Just got off the Feb 3 cruise and staying in Moorea for 2 more days. We haven't seen the sun since Feb 1. Rain everyday, the lagoons are muddy from rain running down the mountains. We joked about this being the black and white cruise, no turquoise water or blue skies. Hurricane conditions almost now, constant rain and big swells. Hope it subsides for your cruise. If we come back, it won't be in Feb.

On the other hand, the ship, crew and food were excellent, no complaints other than the weather.

Did the Code Red conditions on Marina get settled down?

Just in: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-14/cyclone-gita-batters-fiji,-upgraded-to-category-five/9445612

Weather report as of 14 Feb reported by ABC news Australia

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looks like this is heading from Fiji towards Vanuatu and New Caledonia, opposite direction of Tahiti. Yay, fingers crossed this will all be cleared up in 10 more days.

I honestly don't understand why people go to Tahiti this time of year. I understand the desire to get away from cold North American winters, but the typically unpleasant weather there December - April is certainly no secret.

We went in July and it was absolutely perfect.

Perhaps because that's when this cruise line is there?

Of course there are other options.

Did the Code Red conditions on Marina get settled down?

Lots of hand washing stations and we were delayed getting into the cabins on day 1 due to cleaning crews. Other than that, no evidence of Code Red, all venues were open. We stayed away from the coughers and washed, washed, washed our hands. BTW, day 2 after the cruise in Moorea, the sun came out!!

Count me as one of the stupid people who didn't check historical weather reports before booking the cruise.

In our experience, tropical dai s are often fleeting, so we didn't worry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

For those that say we're stupid to go in Feb. We did our research and knew it was rainy season, but even the locals said their weather patterns are changing this year. January was dry, when it's usually wet. Feb should have been better, but it seems the rainy season is moving further out in the year. No one expected a typhoon type rain system stalled over FP.

We didn't expect picture perfect days everyday, just not 12 days in a row of clouds and rain.

The rain did stop during the day for most snorkeling and motto picnic action (we did all independent tours). But everyone still had the best time possible and joked about sending back black and white pictures to those folks at home. A rainy day in Tahiti is still better than a rainy day at home!

If you have an opportunity come to FP, take it now, you never know what tomorrow may bring. No regrets for coming in Feb, at least there are no crowds.