Does Viking include all transfers?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

It's interesting that my invoice indicates "included" on arrival and departure transfers but does not say the same for the transfers involved in the pre and post-cruise extensions. Guess I'll have to call them but figured someone here would know.

I'm wondering two things: 1) being that we don't yet have air booked for this cruise (next March), could that be why the invoice doesn't say "transfers included"? and 2) if I choose to not book air with Viking, then are the airport to hotel transfers on me?

Thanks...

Edited by three4rd

Hi,

It's interesting that my invoice indicates "included" on arrival and departure transfers but does not say the same for the transfers involved in the pre and post-cruise extensions. Guess I'll have to call them but figured someone here would know.

I'm wondering two things: 1) being that we don't yet have air booked for this cruise (next March), could that be why the invoice doesn't say "transfers included"? and 2) if I choose to not book air with Viking, then are the airport to hotel transfers on me?

Thanks...

If you are taking the pre and post extenson that Viking offers, the transfers are included along with the air deviation fee of $100. 00 if you use Viking air. but to get a better flight you need to pay $50.00 ari plus fee. Go to the web site and read aobut Viking air. If you booked for March 2019 , air flights are not available yet.

We have paid the $50 pp fee for Viking Air Plus for both our Rhine Getaway in 2016, and for our Grand European in the fall. We got our flights and seats 10 months out. We picked the flights and I had no problem changing the seats for one of the flights.

For the Rhine Getaway we did a post cruise extension through Viking so we got the transfers included.

We booked our own air for our West Indies Explorer cruise next month because Viking Air Plus was not available. We got an air allowance but no transfers. No big deal, we will just take a cab. I don’t understand why so many put such importance on getting the transfers.

For our Grand European, we are doing air through Viking Air Plus, but we are not doing any pre or post extension through Viking. We are doing the day before in Budapest and 3 days in Amsterdam on our own. We paid the $100 deviation fee and will arrange all our own transfers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have paid the $50 pp fee for Viking Air Plus for both our Rhine Getaway in 2016, and for our Grand European in the fall. We got our flights and seats 10 months out. We picked the flights and I had no problem changing the seats for one of the flights.

For the Rhine Getaway we did a post cruise extension through Viking so we got the transfers included.

We booked our own air for our West Indies Explorer cruise next month because Viking Air Plus was not available. We got an air allowance but no transfers. No big deal, we will just take a cab. I don’t understand why so many put such importance on getting the transfers.

For our Grand European, we are doing air through Viking Air Plus, but we are not doing any pre or post extension through Viking. We are doing the day before in Budapest and 3 days in Amsterdam on our own. We paid the $100 deviation fee and will arrange all our own transfers

Sometimes, it is just easier. When we traveled to China with Viking, the transfers were important. Most cabbies in China don't speak or read English--and it was long drive from the airport to Shanghai.

If the ground transportation arrangements are long or complicated or expensive, I'm just as happy to be herded on to the bus.

I don't find the description of Viking air services on the website to be very complete. It doesn't really explain the details all that well. What is this "air deviation" fee you are referring to?

Agreed!

A deviation fee is paid when you choose to arrive on other than Day 1 of the cruise and depart later than disembarkation day; this does not apply to those who are doing pre- or post-cruise extensions with Viking. Viking does not offer free transfers if you choose to arrive or depart on other then the stated arrival or departure days. Moreover, deviations may incur additional airfare.

Sometimes, it is just easier. When we traveled to China with Viking, the transfers were important. Most cabbies in China don't speak or read English--and it was long drive from the airport to Shanghai.

If the ground transportation arrangements are long or complicated or expensive, I'm just as happy to be herded on to the bus.

I have to agree. As I'm getting older, the less complex things are the better! As you said, perhaps some transfers can be a bit more complicated in foreign countries.

Agreed!

A deviation fee is paid when you choose to arrive on other than Day 1 of the cruise and depart later than disembarkation day; this does not apply to those who are doing pre- or post-cruise extensions with Viking. Viking does not offer free transfers if you choose to arrive or depart on other then the stated arrival or departure days. Moreover, deviations may incur additional airfare.

Very well explained. Our pre and post extensions are all booked through Viking - so then I would think any necessary transfers will be arranged by them? Or is it still concomitant on booking an air package?

Very well explained. Our pre and post extensions are all booked through Viking - so then I would think any necessary transfers will be arranged by them? Or is it still concomitant on booking an air package?

I believe you have to book your air through Viking for them to handle transfers (unless you pay extra, maybe?). We are doing a post-trip extension but are handling our own airfare. Viking is not handling our transportation to or from the airport.

OP, suggest you read the detailed description of the Pre and Post cruise extensions. The ones I have booked clearly state "includes all transfers" and in the description of each days activities says you will be met and transferred upon arrival for the Pre and transferred to the airport on final day of the Post. You should be all good.

I just called and asked. Here’s the scoop: if you booked a post-cruise extension AND you fly out the same day as the end of the extension, then Viking will take you to the airport, even if you booked your own air. You just need to give them your flight info.

In our case, we’re staying an additional day after the extension, so we’re on our own.

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to Viking today (see my other highly complimentary thread) and she went over everything. As long as I'm within a Viking extension timeframe, and not adding extra dates on my own, they take care of all the transfers. I didn't know if they were willing to get into too many details about my trip being that I had the whole thing moved to my TA - but based on my conversation today it seems there is no problem. What a change from a recent customer relations experience with another line I'm sailing with in the near future. All I basically heard was, in so many words, "you need to have your agent contact us about that". Give me a break.....

For those who find themselves without transfers, and who find the prospect of arranging their own in a foreign country where language might be a problem, or who just would prefer to have everything taken care of - contact your hotel. Many will make arrangements for you.

Our hotel in Amsterdam arranged for a car to meet us outside customs with a sign. It was lovely at 7am when we were tired from the flight. And since the hotel made the arrangements, he knew right where to take us.

There are certainly lots of cheaper ways to go, but this was worth it.