Oceania/Viking Comparisons on Crystal Site

ABoatNerd

FYI, on the Crystal site there is an active thread called "Crystal vs Viking".

This thread contains many references to the food/atmosphere on Oceania - so worth a look.

The posters have all done the mass lines and many are Crystal regulars trying out Viking.

Unfortunately, many posts are not complementary of Oceania food; particularly the MDR and some of the specialities.

Considering Oceania is within this cruising segment (some may say Crystal is in the luxury), I am a bit concerned about well travelled cruisers not speaking well of Oceania food.

I will say my September 2017 Baltic on Marina; the MDR food was not worthy, at all, of Oceania standards, and I posted same in my review.

It seems to me that Viking has strong potential to take customers away from Oceania considering they have an all new fleet..........

Thoughts?

Thanks for the tip and I just read the thread.I have mixed feelings about vIking. Overall it is a couple levels below Oceania for my wants but it is a very good product.

Their specialties were excellent but they only have two, some would say they have one and a half specialties. Manfredi was excellent, food, menu, service.

Chef table West Indies menu was wonderful but if I had not been able to get a reservation for this menu I would skip it. I’ve seen all five menus and four of them are not appealing to me.

The Restaurant served very nice food but the selections were pretty limited compared to GDR. Portions were pretty small some nights. The house wine is included and it was decent. The rolls and bread served here were tasteless.

The world cafe is a self service buffet, other than a daily carving station, soup and pasta area where staff is plating the food. Self service really surprised me.

Pool grill was very good.

I really disliked the main pool area which has a retractable roof. Ventilation was very poor and this area was hot and humid. The roof was closed if a few drops of rain fell, often it was closed for hours. Pool seating was uncomfortable, mostly mesh loungers without cushions. They do have some cushioned loungers Along the windows, if you can find one.

I couldn’t find open air shaded areas with comfortable seating.

I enjoyed some of the included tours but having this built into the base price is a disconnect for me. We prefer DIY, private tours or just relaxing on board.

Cabins were wonderful, all cabins have verandas. Very intuitive storage in the bathroom. Wonderful shower with a narrow bench. I loved the spa. I loved the endless interior living rooms, very comfortable seating. I loved the explorers lounge with an outdoor observation area.

The crew was helpful, anxious to assist and very, very nice.

Lots of shows, some were pretty good. Lots of lecturers. Great interactive TV. Pretty good TV and movie lineup.

Viking has simplified lots of things that other cruise lines make more complicated. Even lining up for included excursions was a breeze- you meet ashore and everyone is off and running right away, staggered departures.

Great care and attention from the shore excursion staff. Great care and attention on the transfer bus to and from the airport. Viking has an employee on board every bus.

I would take another Viking, itineraries are expanding.

FYI, on the Crystal site there is an active thread called "Crystal vs Viking".

This thread contains many references to the food/atmosphere on Oceania - so worth a look.

The posters have all done the mass lines and many are Crystal regulars trying out Viking.

Unfortunately, many posts are not complementary of Oceania food; particularly the MDR and some of the specialities.

Considering Oceania is within this cruising segment (some may say Crystal is in the luxury), I am a bit concerned about well travelled cruisers not speaking well of Oceania food.

I will say my September 2017 Baltic on Marina; the MDR food was not worthy, at all, of Oceania standards, and I posted same in my review.

It seems to me that Viking has strong potential to take customers away from Oceania considering they have an all new fleet..........

Thoughts?

We were also on a September 2017 Baltic on Marina. We had dinner in the specialties the first 2 nights, then the MDR. We also felt not only the food, but the service, was not on par with our previous Marina cruise, such that we only went to a specialty or the Terrace the rest of the time, which were all excellent. Our friends with us who had not cruised O before and are big Celebrity cruisers, did not feel the food in the MDR was a step up, tho they also loved the Terrace & specialties.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed on the Riviera in March 2017. This June we will be sailing on the Viking Star for 14 days. While we felt the specialty restaurants on Oceania were terrific, we were very disappointed in the main dining room. The food, in general, was no better than Hal or Celebrity and the service was very poor. We are looking forward to giving Viking a try.

I looked up prices for a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean for Jan 2019.

Oceania Sirena Suite from $4800 pp.

Crystal Esprit Suite from $6490 pp.

Why compare the two?

((I))

I trust the two suites are comparable in terns of square footage. Crystal does offer more, all-inclusive of beverages and gratuities, nice internet benefits for those who have sailed before. Crystal has a great enrichment program, while O offers only cooking and art classes that you have to pay for. On the other hand, Oceania has great food, quality like big-city restaurants, while Crystal's is very old fashioned. However the price differential here is large and would buy a lot of gratuities, booze & internet.

I trust the two suites are comparable in terns of square footage. Crystal does offer more, all-inclusive of beverages and gratuities, nice internet benefits for those who have sailed before. Crystal has a great enrichment program, while O offers only cooking and art classes that you have to pay for. On the other hand, Oceania has great food, quality like big-city restaurants, while Crystal's is very old fashioned. However the price differential here is large and would buy a lot of gratuities, booze & internet.

Don’t know when you were last on Crystal but their modern menu beats anything we have had on O for 13 cruises.

Our last time on Regatta the food in all venues was fair to middling at best. Crystal costs about the same as O for the larger accommodations and is worth much more to us.

Don’t know when you were last on Crystal but their modern menu beats anything we have had on O for 13 cruises.

Our last time on Regatta the food in all venues was fair to middling at best. Crystal costs about the same as O for the larger accommodations and is worth much more to us.

Definitely agree 200%. The food on Regatta was definitely subpar compared to our Serenity cruise last year. As far as prices even for the Verandas. Compare a Nordic Nautica cruise to that of Crystal A2 versus B2 and you will find similar. Same with our booked Amazon cruise. Sirena vs Symphony. Even lower since Crystal had a sale with a 15 percent discount for prepayment 10 months out.

If you are talking about specialties on an R ship there are more available on the revamp of Symphony plus incredible Sushi at Uma/Silk road. The only negative on Crystal is the extra charge after your first visit to 2 of them plus an occasional formal night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were on a 16 day cruise on Nautica in a Concierge cabin a few years ago, we dined 5 times in Polo for no extra charge.

Cheers

Don

Of course. That is not uncommon.

The issue here is about additional charges in crystal’s specialties for those in top suites

Of course. That is not uncommon.

The issue here is about additional charges in crystal’s specialties for those in top suites

The prices for the to suites on Crystal are over the top. Could be twice as much as Oceania. That is why after 5 cruises on Crystal we stoped sailing with them and changed to Oceania.

We are bouncing our last check. I don’t find the prices for the ph suites outrageous. Oceania is just getting old for us — restaurants, itineraries. We rArely see familiar staff anymore so it seems less welcoming. Looking forwRd to a change

We are on seabourn in Antarctica now. Last landing day. This is an indescribable experience. I recommend to everyone.

You can also get more than two reservations in the very exceptional specialties.

yes bit its $50 pp and the choice is a sushi bar and a Italian, neither Which i care for...

Cristal is too formal, drinks included, I seldom dirnk now, Smaller cabins per se and Larger pax ships.... so for me 4 no and no yes

Viking the same, package cruises with shore ex, 1 real specialty, Tight with drinks even soft drinks, free for all buffet,... for those that like european cutoms and the way of doing stuff... I have seen their river operation and it turned me off.

I suppose its great for folks who have little confidence or experience in travel but if your independent your tubed

yes bit its $50 pp and the choice is a sushi bar and a Italian, neither Which i care for...

Cristal is too formal, drinks included, I seldom dirnk now, Smaller cabins per se and Larger pax ships.... so for me 4 no and no yes

Viking the same, package cruises with shore ex, 1 real specialty, Tight with drinks even soft drinks, free for all buffet,... for those that like european cutoms and the way of doing stuff... I have seen their river operation and it turned me off.

I suppose its great for folks who have little confidence or experience in travel but if your independent your tubed

I couldn't have said it better myself.