“Viking Daily” Needs More Port Info

harryw

Just completed my first Viking cruise after many years with Oceania, and noticed that O’s daily included much more useful port info - how close to the terminal, town and sights, availability of taxis, buses, and approximate fares, shuttle info...

Viking publishes basically no info, and unless you listened to the port talk or actively inquire, there is a disadvantage.

Maybe this is a business ploy to steer passengers towards their excursions.

I noticed the same thing. I really missed the Oceania shuttles.

There is a lot to like about Viking but I am not sold on the included excursions. They are built into the per diem price.

We attended a few port talks which concentrated on the excursions offered.

Just completed my first Viking cruise after many years with Oceania, and noticed that O’s daily included much more useful port info - how close to the terminal, town and sights, availability of taxis, buses, and approximate fares, shuttle info...

Viking publishes basically no info, and unless you listened to the port talk or actively inquire, there is a disadvantage.

Maybe this is a business ploy to steer passengers towards their excursions.

I don't understand your statement. For every port Viking publishes "A Helpful Street Guide" which has plenty of info and room for notes. Sorry you didn't know about the complimentary shuttles but we've always found them to be available. 1518879551142.thumb.jpg.48ba58f6a04cc7f4603938b0efd39b26.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I don't understand your statement. For every port Viking publishes "A Helpful Street Guide" which has plenty of info and room for notes. Sorry you didn't know about the complimentary shuttles but we've always found them to be available. [ATTACH]414651[/ATTACH]

Thnaks for info. Their maps look a lot better than the ones from Celebrity, unless you go to their concierge desk , whcih most peole do not even know it exist

. Where do you pick up the "helpful street Guide"? At guest services? Are the shuttle service, place and times printed in the Viking Daily?

I always do lots of research before hand on each port of call. I know what I want to see and areas to explore. And I ask lots of question,s if need be, once on board.

This will be my maiden sailing on Viking so I will be doing this the first and second day of my cruise to totally get the lay of land.

So excited to try this new cruise line.:D

The Daily never mentioned the Guides nor did we see any when disembarking. There just needs to be better communication.

The street guides can be found at the exit when you're disembarking. They're in a basket. Or you can pick one up at Guest Services the night before or the day of. The cover is always bright Viking red so they're easy to spot.

About the shuttles--info is in the Viking Daily. If you're confused about details, Guest Services will answer any questions.

I guess I was spoiled by Oceania. The night before, the newsletter had all the important information. (And in many ports local reps had an info desk). I’ve been writing and editing newsletters for 15 years so helpful communicatiion is important to me. Based on my Cartagena experience. no one

should count on the Daily for

shuttle information.

I don't understand your statement. For every port Viking publishes "A Helpful Street Guide" which has plenty of info and room for notes. Sorry you didn't know about the complimentary shuttles but we've always found them to be available. [ATTACH]414651[/ATTACH]

I agree with you. I felt Viking does a great job. I knew every port that a shuttle was provided. If I am correct, the morning announcement provided it as well. I feel that it is my job to research the ports before leaving so I am always armed with my notes and the ones that Viking or any other cruise line provides.

I agree with you. I felt Viking does a great job. I knew every port that a shuttle was provided. If I am correct, the morning announcement provided it as well. I feel that it is my job to research the ports before leaving so I am always armed with my notes and the ones that Viking or any other cruise line provides.

My thoughts as well. Perhaps the original poster is unfairly comparing a cruise line on which he had sailed for many years with one he has only been on one time. He has accumulated a wealth of knowledge about the details for Oceania, but perhaps forgets that in the beginning it took some time to learn the ropes. I have only sailed on Viking Oceans once so far (two more booked), and I can't remember which things I learned on the ship and which hints I gained from Cruise Critic before or since that trip. I am sure I knew about the free shuttles before boarding, as we planned to remain in Dubrovink on our own after the included tour.

Much of the fun of a trip is the planning in advance. I research each port to help decide which shore excursions we might want to take. If we are going to have a meal in the port, I will use Trip Advisor to find some options, and then star their locations on my Google map, which I download to use offline when in port. It does take some effort, but I enjoy it!

I was on the Viking Star in January, and at each port when you exit the ship there was always a detailed map that they gave out, in Marseille the map detailed all the highlights of the city , in the VD, it describes the shuttle bus with a map , times of pick up, shows where the boat is and where the shuttle stop is too. On all the Viking river cruises that I have been on there was always a map at every stop too. Usually I book my cruise a year in advance and in that time I research my ports and figure out what I am going to do when I get there. I have never had any issues with Viking not providing maps or information on where the boat stops.

I guess I was spoiled by Oceania. The night before, the newsletter had all the important information. (And in many ports local reps had an info desk). I’ve been writing and editing newsletters for 15 years so helpful communicatiion is important to me. Based on my Cartagena experience. no one

should count on the Daily for

shuttle information.

Viking is new to ocean cruising - well as compared to other lines anyway. It’s such a different experience from river cruising, might take them awhile to get things tweaked. They are responsive to customer input. Why don’t you contact tellus@vikingcruises.com and make the suggestion.

On the river cruises they stressed the importance of attending the daily briefing. I understand that on the ocean cruises they run them on the TV as well.

We did all the included tours on the river cruise and have already signed up for many optional ones for our upcoming West Indies Explorer.

This is a bit different from say a Mediterranean cruise as it’s all tropical islands. While each has its individual charm and culture - much is the same. We had originally planned not doing much - just relaxing and doing a bit of scenery gazing or paying a visit to a beach - but their optional selection was intriguing and the prices were very reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with HarryW, I was on the same cruise, and there was no info about the shuttles. I watched a couple of the port talks, also not very helpful, more a listing of the excursions than any useful information. But that's what so great about this board, we all learn from each other. I didn't know about the maps at guest services, but those of you going in the future do now! Unfortunately our excursions thru Viking were not very good, did so much better on the ones we booked privately.

I try to do a lot of research too. In the Caribbean, most of the time we cab it to a beach. Oceania’s newsletter conveniently indicated the night before distance to beaches, availability of taxis, and fare estimates. This supplenented my research.

The Daily also neglected to

inform guests that beach towels were available when disembarking,

I try to do a lot of research too. In the Caribbean, most of the time we cab it to a beach. Oceania’s newsletter conveniently indicated the night before distance to beaches, availability of taxis, and fare estimates. This supplenented my research.

The Daily also neglected to

inform guests that beach towels were available when disembarking,

While I am a big fan of Viking, it does seem that when they move into a whole new area, the shore end of things has the biggest learning curve. We cruised in the Mediterranean, during their second year of sailing. By then, most of the early kinks with shore excursions had been worked out. Hopefully, some of these issues that you experienced in the Caribbean/South America will be improved with client feedback.

But all things considered, it was a wonderful vacation. The Cruise Director's one man show was the most entertaining I've seen in years (great singer and humor) and the Viking Band with the two lead vocalists shined every time we went to hear them.

But all things considered, it was a wonderful vacation. The Cruise Director's one man show was the most entertaining I've seen in years (great singer and humor) and the Viking Band with the two lead vocalists shined every time we went to hear them.

I’m confused. Which ship and itinerary were you on? We are on the Viking Sea for the West Indies Explorer. I’m getting a bit concerned that perhaps the crew on the Sea is not up to the standard we’ve come to expect from Viking.

I’d asked about towels for beach excursions and was told they would be placed in the cabin the evening before.

I’m also hearing conflicting tales about what is available to those who purchase the Silver Spirits package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the San Juan 2/5 South American and Caribbean cruise on th Viking Sea that returned last Thursday. In three ports we used beach towels that were piled near the exit, easy to miss if you weren’t looking. There were no beach towels left in the cabin.

While I am a big fan of Viking, it does seem that when they move into a whole new area, the shore end of things has the biggest learning curve. We cruised in the Mediterranean, during their second year of sailing. By then, most of the early kinks with shore excursions had been worked out. Hopefully, some of these issues that you experienced in the Caribbean/South America will be improved with client feedback.

Well, the islands are still felling the effects of last year’s hurricanes so you have to use some degree of Change . It will get better but it won’t be the same for awhile . There are just too many ships in to few stops , with the large ships just making things worst .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, the islands are still felling the effects of last year’s hurricanes so you have to use some degree of Change . It will get better but it won’t be the same for awhile . There are just too many ships in to few stops , with the large ships just making things worst .

Oh, so true. I had not even thought about that aspect of things.

Timing is everything. When we were in St. Kitt’s last week, the Viking Sea was the only ship there in the morning, and we practically had one of the beaches to ourselves. Returning to the pier, a Costa megaship was disembarking, We lucked out...

The Daily never mentioned the Guides nor did we see any when disembarking. There just needs to be better communication.

Did you go to the port talks.? They have all the info on your upcoming port. They discuss the port shuttles and where to pick them up . Also if you take a tour, they will leave you off in the port, so you can shop . The only time they won’t do that is if you are scheduled to leave soon and there’s no time left .

You can also watch on the ship’s TV for the port talks . Not sure how much easier they can make it for you .

Newsletter info like O has saves passengers the time of having to go to a port talk or watch it on TV. Also, beach towels were sort of a secret. They were off to the side when disembarking, easy to miss. One sentence in the newsletter is all it would take.

Newsletter info like O has saves passengers the time of having to go to a port talk or watch it on TV. Also, beach towels were sort of a secret. They were off to the side when disembarking, easy to miss. One sentence in the newsletter is all it would take.

Sounds like a great suggestion for tellus@vikingcruises.com (I think that’s the address). I too would prefer to get port info from something printed. Different strokes and all that.