Speciality Dining on the Sun

BCSmallTownGirl

I am looking at the speciality dining packages for our upcoming cruise on the Sun. If you have been on the Sun, what is the food in the buffet and other 'complimentary' restaurants like? What types of food? Changing offerings, or the same all the time?

We haven't cruised at all before. We found when vacationing at our favourite all inclusive resorts in Mexico that the we didn't miss out much by just sticking to the regular restaurant (changing menu, theme nights, etc.) and only doing a couple of nights at the speciality ones. Just wondered what it is like on the cruise?

Getting very excited for our trip!!

I am looking at the specialty dining packages for our upcoming cruise on the Sun. If you have been on the Sun, what is the food in the buffet and other 'complimentary' restaurants like? What types of food? Changing offerings, or the same all the time? We haven't cruised at all before. We found when vacationing at our favourite all inclusive resorts in Mexico that the we didn't miss out much by just sticking to the regular restaurant (changing menu, theme nights, etc.) and only doing a couple of nights at the specialty ones. Just wondered what it is like on the cruise? Getting very excited for our trip!!

So,,,, the vast majority of people will take all of their meals in the complimentary main dining rooms. No need to buy into the hype about specialty dining and spending extra money.

The main dining room menus have a set of "classic" dishes served every night (steak, chicken, fish, spaghetti, lasagna, veg pasta), and 7-8 specials of the night (one recent night featured Pasta with Duck, Pan Seared New Zealand Hake Fillet, Eggplant Gorgonzola, Thai Green Chicken Curry, Caribbean Mojo Roast Pork Loin, Beef Meatballs, Prime Rib) . The food is great. And if you don't like something, send it back and get something else.

The Buffet will have a different theme ever night. Yes, there will be basic items served every night, along with kids foods (that us big kids like too).

The Tapas bar has a changing menu of tapas. And the Sports Bar has pub foods.

I am looking at the speciality dining packages for our upcoming cruise on the Sun. If you have been on the Sun, what is the food in the buffet and other 'complimentary' restaurants like? What types of food? Changing offerings, or the same all the time?

We haven't cruised at all before. We found when vacationing at our favourite all inclusive resorts in Mexico that the we didn't miss out much by just sticking to the regular restaurant (changing menu, theme nights, etc.) and only doing a couple of nights at the speciality ones. Just wondered what it is like on the cruise?

The sun is my favorite ship.

Sports bar opens at 5pm similar to oSheehan’s on other NCL ships.

The great outdoors on the aft of the ship is a great place to get some food.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2529761

My pictorial review from 2016 can give an idea of what is offered on the sun!

The buffet on the Sun is small. There is the outside area with food as well and Moderno on the other side of the buffet serves breakfast and lunch.

People also tended to linger in the buffet seating area which made it hard to find seats.

As far as a romantic and/or nice seating restaurant La Cucina is very nice.

For us the MDRs are ok, but we still prefer a few nights in a specialty dining rooms. As for choices the MDR will be change the menu for lunch and dinner daily. The buffet will be somewhat different as well. The breakfast, both MDR and buffet will be pretty much the same daily. the buffet is on the small side, so seating can be a challenge unless you time it so it isn't during the heavy meal time.

The sun is my favorite ship.

Sports bar opens at 5pm similar to oSheehan’s on other NCL ships.

The great outdoors on the aft of the ship is a great place to get some food.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2529761

My pictorial review from 2016 can give an idea of what is offered on the sun!

Is the Great Outdoors accessible from the main buffet? I guess what I am asking is can you gather food from the main buffet (with more options) and sit outdoors? We enjoy dining Al Fresco on Oceania, but the buffets on their ships are located very close to the outside seating. Is there a way to get served drinks in the buffet or Great Outdoors, or is it all self serve?

Is the Great Outdoors accessible from the main buffet? I guess what I am asking is can you gather food from the main buffet (with more options) and sit outdoors? We enjoy dining Al Fresco on Oceania, but the buffets on their ships are located very close to the outside seating. Is there a way to get served drinks in the buffet or Great Outdoors, or is it all self serve?

Yes, you can walk the food out to great outdoors.

Drinks are self service (milk, tea, water, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, you can walk the food out to great outdoors.

Drinks are self service (milk, tea, water, etc)

Do drink servers from the bar come around ...or is there a bar right out there...we have no problem going to a close bar.

LOL...our cruise is an around the horn SA so there will probably be only 4 to 6 days where outside dining will work....

Another question...does the Great Outdoors tend to get crowded...or is it a relief from the madness of the small buffet? We are in a suite, but looking at the menus for lunch, I can envision my DH wanting to switch up for the ethnic food offerings in the buffet. And, he might want to to do some of the themed ethnic dinners if the weather is nice outside.

Do drink servers from the bar come around ...or is there a bar right out there...we have no problem going to a close bar.

LOL...our cruise is an around the horn SA so there will probably be only 4 to 6 days where outside dining will work....

Another question...does the Great Outdoors tend to get crowded...or is it a relief from the madness of the small buffet? We are in a suite, but looking at the menus for lunch, I can envision my DH wanting to switch up for the ethnic food offerings in the buffet. And, he might want to to do some of the themed ethnic dinners if the weather is nice outside.

There is a Great Outdoors Bar. You can also take your plates into the Sports Bar inside. Moderno also has pizza and lunch bar items each day. Breakfast and lunch in La Cucina is a real treat - so quiet compared to the crazy buffet.

As a suite guest you will want to enjoy most or all of your lunches in La Cucina. While the menu never changes, it is leaps and bounds above the pathetic buffet. Think shopping at Gucci versus Walmart.

Well, I can't afford Gucci ;) Nor a suite on the ship.

Hoping for something in between! ;)

Well, I can't afford Gucci ;) Nor a suite on the ship.

Hoping for something in between! ;)

LOL...and some of us that have the Gucci option might not want it. I am also interested in the standard fare available and the “ feel” of the included restaurants.

As others have said, you'll want to take advantage of your suite lunch options. That being said, if he is looking for ethnic options at the buffet be advised that it is a tiny buffet with few options of all NCL ships we've been on. Even the older Spirit has a bigger, nicer buffet.

When we were on the Sun last summer, we did three nights of specialty dining and the rest in the MDR. We found the MDR to be consistently good, so you’d be okay just eating there. We ate at Teppanyaki, Cagneys and Moderno. Teppanyaki and Cagneys were great, and Moderno was just ok. I have the menus and photos in my trip report in my signature :)

I do remember that the buffet was always really busy and small. It would get a little crazy during breakfast but we always managed to find a seat.

Have a wonderful trip!

Have a great cruise on my favorite NCL ship. And yes, do try at least one specialty dining room, but you can get plenty to eat and enjoy every bite in the main dinging rooms.

We're booked on the Sun in May and if it weren't for the fact that we get 3 nights with our package at the specialty restaurants we would be happy just eating at the complimentary places . We loved the food on the Jade which was our first time on Norwegian in January and both my husband and I agreed it was actually the best buffet food we've had so far on all the cruise lines we have sailed .