Found an underwater camera: need help finding owner - Disney Cruise

jim1521

Quite the crazy story here....

We were down in Islamorada, FL two weeks with our boat diving Alligator Reef. As I'm driving the boat out to the reef, I spot something floating in the water. I motor over and it's a Vivitar camera in a watertight case (about the same size as my GoPro Hero 3). I plucked it out of the water and it's in full working condition (battery was dead). I pulled the memory card out and stuck it in my laptop and was able to download all the photos and videos. Unfortunately there was nothing that I could use to tell me names, phone numbers, etc.

Please see the link above for more details.

Originally we thought the cruise took place in Jan of 2015, however it appears that when the battery goes dead, the dates default to Jan 2015, so we don't have reliable dates.

From the images I came up with the following:

- they were on a Disney cruise out of Port Canaveral. Ship was possibly the Fantasy. The camera didn't look like it was in the water that long.

- they were scuba divers. Plenty of underwater photos. They dove with Red Sail Sports out of Grand Cayman. The dive shop confirmed this, as thier employee was in one of the photos. They don't recall these folks.

- it appears that they were a family of 3 generations on the cruise (kids, parents, and grandparents).

We've posted pics to FB to try and spread the word, and it's getting around, but thought I'd try here directly.

No scam, no gimmick. We'd really like to get the camera and these pictures and videos back to the owners.

If you're on Facebook, please share the Facebook page

sunp0103_moment-jpg.445978

sunp0060-jpg.445973

Edited by jim1521

I read through the thread on ScubaBoard and it seems you've narrowed it down to a specific month and a Western itinerary on the Fantasy. Excellent investigative work, BTW. It would seem to me that if you approach DCL from the angle of "what a great PR tool to impress your guests", they might email all the passengers who sailed Fantasy on a Western Caribbean cruise during that month. (Grasping at straws here, but might be worth the effort.)

• 3 weeks later...