Norway Fjords from Southampton P&O vs Royal Caribbean

ladybrockett

We are looking at taking a cruise in May this year to Norwegian Fjords. Have cruised before in Med, Caribbean and Asia with Celebrity, RC & MSC but never from Southampton or with P & O. We have found 2 cruises that suit our dates with P & O & RC but they vary in price considerably with RC being twice the price nearly of P & O and although it includes drinks & gratuities still seems a lot more money. Questions:-

1) What age group cruises from Southampton with P&O & RC during term time? The Ships are Azura & Independence of the Seas. We are aged 51 & 52...... Bit concerned the evenings may be lacking in atmosphere if passengers going to bed early due to a lot older age group?

2) What are cabins like on either ship - with price being so much higher on Independence we would most likely take an inside. With P & O we could have a balcony.

3) What is entertainment like on P & O and how formal are the gala nights? We do enjoy wearing formal dress but many cruise lines have made this more smart/casual.

4) P&O don't seem to offer a drinks package, are you allowed to take alcohol on board, what price are drinks?

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice.

1) What age group cruises from Southampton with P&O & RC during term time? The Ships are Azura & Independence of the Seas. We are aged 51 & 52...... Bit concerned the evenings may be lacking in atmosphere if passengers going to bed early due to a lot older age group?

- Can't say sorry

2) What are cabins like on either ship - with price being so much higher on Independence we would most likely take an inside. With P & O we could have a balcony.

- cabins very similar, you've got to go balcony if going to fjords surely

3) What is entertainment like on P & O and how formal are the gala nights? We do enjoy wearing formal dress but many cruise lines have made this more smart/casual.

- in term time similar uptake to RC about 70/80 % I would say.

4) Drinks are uk pub prices, you can take 2 bottles of wine onboard per cabin

Hi m'lady,

>with price being so much higher on Independence we would most likely take an inside. With P & O we could have a balcony.

I would urge you to have the balcony for a fjord's cruise.

Ira

I second the motion.

Usually I put the price difference between inside and balcony toward paying a huge chunk of the next cruise. However, when we cruised to the fjords on Britannia, the cost of the balcony was not that much more (give all outside cabins on her are balconies). The views are well worth the balcony. Were I returning I'd go for the balcony on P&O over the toys on Royal Caribbean.

We've cruised on Independence of the Seas, and enjoyed her. Lots of toys on board to entertain yourself with. But since Royal Caribbean keep doing their "limited" offers for "free" drinks (by jacking the price of the cruise up by a few hundred Pounds to cover their costs of the "free" drinks, we not gone back with them.

Regarding some of your other questions,

Can't comment on age mix in term time (being married to a teacher)

We've been on Azura's sister ship and found cabins comparable to Independence.

The stage shows are also comparable between the two brands. P&O still do the formal nights. Black tie or smart suits for the gents.

We don't drink, but P&O don't have the draconian attitude to your own drinks robbing them of the chance to rob you at the bars. I may have read that some restrictions have been put in place, but it's not the total ban Royal Caribbean operate. I'm also told that bar prices are far more reasonable than Royal Caribbean, plus they don't stick the 18% fine on top of each purchase.

But all said, I'd say the ability to have a balcony for a fjord cruise trumps all other considerations. That it will be cheaper is a bonus.

We are in our mid 50’s and have sailed a few times on Azura out of school holidays,never felt overly young.

As others have said the drinks are comparable to pub prices with no extra gratuities on top.

You can bring one bottle of wine or spirits each on at Southampton and as much soft drink as you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I first cruised on P&O in my forties and didn't feel out of place or in a minority.

Drink prices are the same as pub prices.

I agree with the others, definitely a balcony for a Fjord cruise. The scenery is stunning and its nice to sit on your own balcony, with a cup of cabin brewed coffee in hand, taking in the views.

Personally given the choice of a balcony or inside cabin costing more, it has to be balcony especially with the cruise going to the Fjords.

A May cruise to the Fjords is not forced to be cold. We have worn T shirt and shorts but also fleece and long trousers in May in the Fjords. You can have all seasons in one day. Take layers and a waterproof outer and you wont go wrong.

May is our favourite time to cruise there, the snow capped mountains and there is plenty of snow melt for the waterfalls.

Thank you all. We have now booked a balcony with P&O as it was similar price to a RC inside.

Have never gone with PO or on a cold cruise before so am looking forward to the experience. Good or bad !!

Cold cruise means different things to different passengers,we did Iceland & Norway some years ago on Crown Princess in July,on our first full day out in the Irish Sea while we were still in t shirt & shorts many of our fellow passengers had already taken to coats,hats,scarves & gloves,no sign of them out on deck a couple of days later,not a hardy crew!

Got to agree the scenery in the fjords is stunning but even though we had a balcony cabin we ended up out on deck where we could see the all round view instead of just our side,worked quite well until the camera brigade appeared & tried to hastle everyone into 'photo opportunities',they were a pain!

I second the motion.

Usually I put the price difference between inside and balcony toward paying a huge chunk of the next cruise. However, when we cruised to the fjords on Britannia, the cost of the balcony was not that much more (give all outside cabins on her are balconies). The views are well worth the balcony. Were I returning I'd go for the balcony on P&O over the toys on Royal Caribbean.

We've cruised on Independence of the Seas, and enjoyed her. Lots of toys on board to entertain yourself with. But since Royal Caribbean keep doing their "limited" offers for "free" drinks (by jacking the price of the cruise up by a few hundred Pounds to cover their costs of the "free" drinks, we not gone back with them.

Regarding some of your other questions,

Can't comment on age mix in term time (being married to a teacher)

We've been on Azura's sister ship and found cabins comparable to Independence.

The stage shows are also comparable between the two brands. P&O still do the formal nights. Black tie or smart suits for the gents.

We don't drink, but P&O don't have the draconian attitude to your own drinks robbing them of the chance to rob you at the bars. I may have read that some restrictions have been put in place, but it's not the total ban Royal Caribbean operate. I'm also told that bar prices are far more reasonable than Royal Caribbean, plus they don't stick the 18% fine on top of each purchase.

But all said, I'd say the ability to have a balcony for a fjord cruise trumps all other considerations. That it will be cheaper is a bonus.

I think both now have the same drinks policy for bringing your own, p&o might be slightly better if you are a spirits drinker.

The fact you can have a balcony or outside on P and O would have made me choose P and O. I would imagine P and O will be a bit older, a bit quieter and a bit more formal than Royal Caribbean. That may not makes big difference to your cruise experience. Norway cruise tend to be quieter than Mediterranean cruises anyway. Late night deck parties with a do not really work. You may want to be up early in the mornings (from 6AM) for the cruise through the Fjords to the days port. The captain wii tell you when the best views are likely.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

All cruise lines have the same excursions withe the same local guide. I have chatted to them. They will work for P&O one day and RCI the next and then Cunard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums