All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

Do posting guidelines permit you to share how/where you found such a great deal?

I cant name agents but it doesn't really matter, Travel deals are out there if you take time and look for them.

The free air is an Ama waterways promotion for November on selected sailing. I thought that was a good deal in itself

The rest was by driving to my local branch that sometimes has member benefit vacations of which this happened to be one.

The upgrade was generosity from Ama which were are very thankful.

Last May we went on Viking and received free air with transfers, $400 obc, Premium beverage packages, champagne with glasses and a google dot. We booked that at a travel show.

I cant name agents but it doesn't really matter, Travel deals are out there if you take time and look for them.

The free air is an Ama waterways promotion for November on selected sailing. I thought that was a good deal in itself

The rest was by driving to my local branch that sometimes has member benefit vacations of which this happened to be one.

The upgrade was generosity from Ama which were are very thankful.

Last May we went on Viking and received free air with transfers, $400 obc, Premium beverage packages, champagne with glasses and a google dot. We booked that at a travel show.

Fayew, I tell my travel agent which river we want to sail on and she tells me when a 1/2 price sales comes up. There were quite a few of these last year, starting in November for sailings from November to May. If you have a TA that works for you,he/she should be able to find you something that is a great deal you won't see advertised on the web sites. It sure makes this type of travel more reasonable for many travellers.

Thanks for the details. We are booked on the 8/20 trip from Basel to Amsterdam on Amastella. Was hoping to escape the heat of Florida but it does not look like that will happen. Warm/hot weather will certainly affect our final wardrobe choices. Sounds like shorts during the day...

Does the ship have AC?

Yes. The ac worked great in the ship. The shops and cafes in the towns...well, not so much.

Perfect, mostly shorts/tshirts or capri pants. We took some warmer clothes but even when we were up on Mount Pilatus, it was sunny and beautiful. We lucked in as last year we went in April and had sunshine but then it turned rainy with a bit of snow. Thanks for layers.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the Amastella and Amakristina are both on the Rhine between Amsterdam and Basel. Trying to follow both this week to see if there are any deviations (due to water levels).

The location of both show on this website: http://www.cruisemapper.com

But only Amastella shows on this website: https://www.rivercruiseshiptracker.com

In any event, they both seem to be following the published itineraries...

I am on th AMA Cello in April. I have heard that the rooms dont have much room for luggage bags. Is there room for 2 large bags to fit under the bed?? Or do they fit in closet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

There was lots of space under the bed for our two 30" pieces of luggage plus the pull out storage unit was great to put the extra blanket from the closet in and all our shoes. Gave us more closet space.

I am on th AMA Cello in April. I have heard that the rooms dont have much room for luggage bags. Is there room for 2 large bags to fit under the bed?? Or do they fit in closet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We were on Amacello 2 years ago and our bags would not fit in the "under-the-bed pull out storage bins." However, they did fit in the closet and you could put other things (i.e. shoes) in the storage bins. The rooms are small but if you put everything away it is definitely not a problem. And, unlike the big ocean cruise cabins, you truly are not in the room very much. There is always a tour each day or at least a scenic cruise where you want to be where you can see both sides of the river. We were only in our rooms for bathing, dressing and sleeping; otherwise we were on the top of the ship (weather permitting), in the lounge or on a tour.

We were on Amacello 2 years ago and our bags would not fit in the "under-the-bed pull out storage bins." However, they did fit in the closet and you could put other things (i.e. shoes) in the storage bins. The rooms are small but if you put everything away it is definitely not a problem. And, unlike the big ocean cruise cabins, you truly are not in the room very much. There is always a tour each day or at least a scenic cruise where you want to be where you can see both sides of the river. We were only in our rooms for bathing, dressing and sleeping; otherwise we were on the top of the ship (weather permitting), in the lounge or on a tour.
I should have specified that I was on the AMASerena and AMADante, and we had the storage under the beds four luggage. I assumed that the AMACello would have the same size storage space. On the two ships we were on, there was only one pull out storage area, the rest was free space. Sorry if I passed on the wrong information.

As a first time river cruiser, we are completing our research for our Melodies of the Danube from Budapest to Vilshofen next month. Do any readers who have done this itinerary have any suggestions as to which night would be the best for the Chefs Table. Thanks

As a first time river cruiser, we are completing our research for our Melodies of the Danube from Budapest to Vilshofen next month. Do any readers who have done this itinerary have any suggestions as to which night would be the best for the Chefs Table. Thanks

We went on the second night - the day you leave Budapest - and thought that was a perfect time to do it. You will love it!!

We went on the second night - the day you leave Budapest - and thought that was a perfect time to do it. You will love it!!

Thank you very much for your quick response - I had been thinking of then, so long as its not booked up when we board.

On every AMA cruise they serve a special dinner in the dining room...the Chaines des Rottiseurs Dinner. When we make our reservation for the Chef's Table, I ask what night that dinner is served and do the Chef's Table on another night. From the cruises I've been on the Chaines des Rottiseurs Dinner is done towards the end of the cruise. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, because I am married to someone who wants everything planned right up front so we will be looking to book as soon as we board. Boarding - when does that start? (Our documents have not arrived yet, I am sure they will tell us)

Hello

Anyone with experience of river cruise on AmaDara, who can answer a question on Vietnam / Money/ Currency.

We have a couple of nights hotel stay in Vietnam before embarking cruise half of which is Vietnam before entering cambodia. I know I can use USD in Cambodia, but can anyone advise realistically how much money should I change into Vietnam Currency for general spending for the duration.

Thanks, because I am married to someone who wants everything planned right up front so we will be looking to book as soon as we board. Boarding - when does that start? (Our documents have not arrived yet, I am sure they will tell us)

I think official boarding doesn't start until 3pm but you can get on the boat at anytime. We have done 4 cruises with AMA and usually arrive around 11-11:30 am. They hold your luggage, provide a light lunch in the lounge around noon with soup, sandwiches and squares. You can't get in your cabin then but you can stay in the lounge or go up to the sundeck, we usually leave the boat and walk around returning around 2:30 or so. On the Paris-Normandy cruise we were on some people's flights had arrived early the morning of embarkation and they went straight to the boat from the airport. It was no problem arriving on the boat early but made a long day for them.

For some reason on our last river cruise in May, the Maitre'd was asking people each day if they wanted to sign up at the Chef's Table. The attendance was low on this particular cruise for the Chef's table.

I am like that too! We were staying in Budapest prior to the cruise, so we checked out at 11:00 and went to the ship, dropped out luggage and then went back out to the city. They had a free shuttle bus for that too.

We are doing a 14 day cruise out of AMS in June!!! Any tips from former Ama sailers? This is our first river boat cruise!!!

Sue

What date are you going? We are sailing on the June 10th sailing out of Amsterdam.

Well Dang, Sue

I just looked at your post again and realized that you most likely have gone already. ;p

We are going in 2019. This will also be our first river cruise, so any info or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well Dang, Sue

I just looked at your post again and realized that you most likely have gone already. ;p

We are going in 2019. This will also be our first river cruise, so any info or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2zhaus, what information would you like to know. We have been on two AMA river cruises last two years and loved it. If I can be of assistance, let me know and I will gladly pass on any information on your questions that I can assist you with. Best way to travel ever. After 14 or so ocean cruises we are hooked on river cruising.