Chain Bridge (Budapest) - anyone know the status of the repairs?

franski

Hi -

I understand the Chain Bridge is slated to be closed for repairs. Most of the information I can find just says "starting in 2018" - so am not sure if the repairs have commenced.

Anyone been to Budapest lately and able to comment on the status of the bridge?

Thanks so much.

Fran

Thanks, Catherine...

We will be in Budapest in late October. While not a huge issue for us (we have been to Budapest a few times before, and have seem many of the sights in Buda) we do enjoy the walk across the bridge. We would be disappointed if it was closed. Anything I can find on-line doesn't give dates - just says "commencing in 2018".

Fran

We were also there about two weeks ago. There were no visible repairs under way and the bridge was open. Then Will Smith climbed it as some sort of photo shoot or stunt, which prompted many others to climb it, which prompted the police to close it down for the day. :rolleyes: I understand there are now large signs telling you not to climb the bridge.

We were also there about two weeks ago. There were no visible repairs under way and the bridge was open. Then Will Smith climbed it as some sort of photo shoot or stunt, which prompted many others to climb it, which prompted the police to close it down for the day. :rolleyes: I understand there are now large signs telling you not to climb the bridge.

It sounds like Will Smith's stunt was semi-spontaneous. According to the BBC, he had a cameraman and a drone but no permission to climb the bridge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44817582