Impact of current heat wave on rhine river cruising

senoraviajera

My family of five are booked for summer 2019 viking rhine river cruise and i have just read about current heat wave in europe and its effect on river water level and river cruises. Would appreciate very much to read the experiences of those who took the rhine river cruise this summer (july-august 2018). Thank you in advance. I have three days to decide to keep or cancel our booking.

My family of five are booked for summer 2019 viking rhine river cruise and i have just read about current heat wave in europe and its effect on river water level and river cruises. Would appreciate very much to read the experiences of those who took the rhine river cruise this summer (july-august 2018). Thank you in advance. I have three days to decide to keep or cancel our booking.

There are a number of existing threads covering this topic that include the information you have requested. Many people have already shared their experiences.

Do keep in mind that just because it has been unusually hot and dry this summer does not mean that next summer will be the same.

Do keep in mind that just because it has been unusually hot and dry this summer does not mean that next summer will be the same.

I second that. This year is exceptional in that we are experiencing low water levels as early as mid-July.

You are not stating when in Summer you will be travelling. From most year's experiences I would say that June, July and at least into middle of August there is enough water to get you from Amsterdam to Basel or vice versa. Last year there were only about two weeks in October that came close to a situation we have at the moment.

I am just curious: why is it so important to cancel within three days, seeing that your cruise is about one year away? Deposit? Viking's terms of payment? You might want to speak to your TA or Viking's helpline about that, perhaps it will help you decide: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753506&highlight=Viking+policy

notamermaid