Comparing time in ports

ollienbertsmum

Hi everyone

I know that some of my ports are on the Dalmatian coast but it seems like this is the best place to ask my question.

I have been longing for a cruise from Venice to the Greek Islands. I went to a couple of islands long ago (think Mama Mia) but I still long to cruise out of Venice.

DH has been reluctant to fly until recently. Now he is happier to venture further than Barcelona so now things have changed.

I now have the opportunity to go from Venice for my 60th birthday. DH has never been to Greece so a priority for him would be Athens. I have been there and so done the Acropolis (full of ouzo but I did it).

I think that we could well do another Greek cruise once I retire, so anything that we do miss out can be repeated.

Right now I am hoping for some advice about which cruise to go on this coming April (which is my 60th birthday). My birthday is in April so that limits us somewhat in the choice of cruises. I want to cruise from Venice because I have never been there.

My concern is the comparison of two MSC cruises. They are similar prices but for the more convenient cruise (it goes from Venice to Venice) the length of time in port seems to be shorter.

So any comments on the difference between

Bari - 6 hours

Katakalon - 6 hours

Mykonos - 9 hours

Athens - 9 hours

Sarande 6 hours

Dubrovnik - 8 hours

with

Koper - 10 hours

Split 9 hours

Kotor - 10 hours

Mykonos - 9.00 am - 2 am the next day

Santorini - 6 hours

Corfu - 7 hours.

We would then arrive in Bari - have to arrange our own excursion and then probably get to Rome where we would get a direct flight back to Malaga.

The second option seems to give so much longer in each of the ports, but am I panicking, is 6 hours enough in Bari, Sarande and Katakalon.

Any thoughts would be so welcome

6 hours is more than enough in Sarande. For years people tried to escape from it towards Corfu and freedom. Sarande gives a view of what the Eastern bloc was like during the cold war.

Enjoy your freedom to leave when you want to leave.

I cruise Silversea and one of the biggest differences between the luxury lines and mainstream is the longer time in port. I would pick the 2nd itinerary because you get a better feel for the places you visit in the evening. I’ve enjoyed dinners off the ship which give you more of a feel for the places you visit. The only concern would be the short time in Santorini.

My upcoming cruise is there from 9am until midnight!!!

We applaud the OP for having the common sense to even look at port times :). And you should also look at which day of the week you are in various ports....versus what you want to do in those ports and whether the option is even open. Too many times we have seen folks complain that their cruise was in Civitavecchia on a Sunday (when the Vatican Museums are usually closed) or in another port on a Sunday when most of the shops were closed. The time to look at this stuff is BEFORE you book a cruise.

Hank

I cruise Silversea and one of the biggest differences between the luxury lines and mainstream is the longer time in port. I would pick the 2nd itinerary because you get a better feel for the places you visit in the evening. I’ve enjoyed dinners off the ship which give you more of a feel for the places you visit. The only concern would be the short time in Santorini.

My upcoming cruise is there from 9am until midnight!!!

I did notice the time in Santorini and had already thought that this might be the one port that I would see what tours the ship had to offer simply because that might get us on one of the earlier tenders. Santorini was not high priority for me because although it is a long time ago, I have spent 3 days on the island.

On the plus side, we are going in April, I did not have many cruise choices so it may well be that there the actual number of tourists on Santorini may be a bonus.

Finding a way to stay until late does seem to be a good plan, sunset with a view of Oia seems to be one of the "things to do".

I am starting to think that another trip we could do is going to Athens and doing some island hopping via the ferry system just as I did when I was at university.

We applaud the OP for having the common sense to even look at port times :). And you should also look at which day of the week you are in various ports....versus what you want to do in those ports and whether the option is even open. Too many times we have seen folks complain that their cruise was in Civitavecchia on a Sunday (when the Vatican Museums are usually closed) or in another port on a Sunday when most of the shops were closed. The time to look at this stuff is BEFORE you book a cruise.

Hank

Thanks Hank.

Hi everyone

I know that some of my ports are on the Dalmatian coast but it seems like this is the best place to ask my question.

I have been longing for a cruise from Venice to the Greek Islands. I went to a couple of islands long ago (think Mama Mia) but I still long to cruise out of Venice.

DH has been reluctant to fly until recently. Now he is happier to venture further than Barcelona so now things have changed.

I now have the opportunity to go from Venice for my 60th birthday. DH has never been to Greece so a priority for him would be Athens. I have been there and so done the Acropolis (full of ouzo but I did it).

I think that we could well do another Greek cruise once I retire, so anything that we do miss out can be repeated.

Right now I am hoping for some advice about which cruise to go on this coming April (which is my 60th birthday). My birthday is in April so that limits us somewhat in the choice of cruises. I want to cruise from Venice because I have never been there.

My concern is the comparison of two MSC cruises. They are similar prices but for the more convenient cruise (it goes from Venice to Venice) the length of time in port seems to be shorter.

So any comments on the difference between

Bari - 6 hours

Katakalon - 6 hours

Mykonos - 9 hours

Athens - 9 hours

Sarande 6 hours

Dubrovnik - 8 hours

with

Koper - 10 hours

Split 9 hours

Kotor - 10 hours

Mykonos - 9.00 am - 2 am the next day

Santorini - 6 hours

Corfu - 7 hours.

We would then arrive in Bari - have to arrange our own excursion and then probably get to Rome where we would get a direct flight back to Malaga.

The second option seems to give so much longer in each of the ports, but am I panicking, is 6 hours enough in Bari, Sarande and Katakalon.

Any thoughts would be so welcome

Tough choices. Both itineraries have pluses and minuses. I assume both leave from Venice, but only one of them is round-trip?

I think the time allotted for Katakolon is fine if you want to see the ancient site of Olympia and the museum. You can do it on your own or via ship tour -- the distance isn't so much that I'd worry excessively about getting back.

With Sarande, I'd highly recommend a tour of Butrint, the late Roman site just outside town. It sits in a beautiful park just on a lake and is well worth visiting. A tour through the ship would likely to a creditable job in the time allotted. (Bring mosquito repellent though!)

Six hours is tough in Bari, depending on what you'd want to do with the time.

Regarding the second itinerary: on the positive side I like Split more than Dubrovnik, and you get to Santorini, albeit briefly. But Kotor and Koper don't really give you that Greek isle feeling, and the itinerary doesn't include Athens. I like Sarande on the first cruise more than Corfu on the second (I might be in the minority there, however.... Ancient ruins, you know... :D), and everyone should visit Olympia at least once!

MSC tends to give short times in port. Many other lines that visit these ports allow for 10 or 12 hour days there. Are you only considering MSC?

Tough choices. Both itineraries have pluses and minuses. I assume both leave from Venice, but only one of them is round-trip?

I think the time allotted for Katakolon is fine if you want to see the ancient site of Olympia and the museum. You can do it on your own or via ship tour -- the distance isn't so much that I'd worry excessively about getting back.

With Sarande, I'd highly recommend a tour of Butrint, the late Roman site just outside town. It sits in a beautiful park just on a lake and is well worth visiting. A tour through the ship would likely to a creditable job in the time allotted. (Bring mosquito repellent though!)

Six hours is tough in Bari, depending on what you'd want to do with the time.

Regarding the second itinerary: on the positive side I like Split more than Dubrovnik, and you get to Santorini, albeit briefly. But Kotor and Koper don't really give you that Greek isle feeling, and the itinerary doesn't include Athens. I like Sarande on the first cruise more than Corfu on the second (I might be in the minority there, however.... Ancient ruins, you know... :D), and everyone should visit Olympia at least once!

MSC tends to give short times in port. Many other lines that visit these ports allow for 10 or 12 hour days there. Are you only considering MSC?

Aarghh Cruisemom !!! Just when I thought everyone agreed that the second itinerary was the best, you come along and give me a different opinion!!

I am only looking at MSC because this seems to be the only line that goes from Venice to Greece in April - thus I can be in Venice on my 60th birthday and then cruise to celebrate. This is a cruise that has been on my radar for a long time. I have to do it.

I have been to Athens anyway, although DH hasn't and it was immediately on his wishlist when I talked about the cruise. However we will go back. Now that I am doing the planning for this cruise I think it would be good to get to Athens and then do some island hopping. So this is certainly not a once in a lifetime opportunity.

By ending in Bari - on the second itinerary, which has those tempting longer stops, I would plan on staying at least overnight and would have time to visit the Trulli - which is (are??) on my wishlist.

So I still do not know what to do. I will mull the options over the weekend and then consult DH and give him the impression that his opinion is important ;)

Hank

Ha ha Hank, after basking in the glory of your applause, I have just been travel-plan-shamed. My daughter has pointed out that my 60th birthday is on Maundy Thursday - with all the closures it entails, and any trip planned would then run into the Greek Orthodox Easter!! I can't believe I missed that.

I think the Greek islands are going to have to wait.

Ha ha Hank, after basking in the glory of your applause, I have just been travel-plan-shamed. My daughter has pointed out that my 60th birthday is on Maundy Thursday - with all the closures it entails, and any trip planned would then run into the Greek Orthodox Easter!! I can't believe I missed that.

I think the Greek islands are going to have to wait.

ROFL! The Europeans have never met any holiday they do not celebrate :(. The irony is that even in very secular countries (such as France) they still close businesses for all kinds of religious holidays that we ignore in our own country that is supposed to have a Christian culture (or so my Christian friends tell me). And yes, Maundy Thursday does have an impact. In fact, many Europeans will turn that into a 4 day holiday weekend even if they have no clue as to the reason for the holiday. We once ran into "Whit Sunday" which had me shaking my head.

Hank