Salmon or Halibut Fishing in the middle of June

ken_nyc

I have searched and really did not see anything on Salmon or Halibut Fishing in the middle of June. Our cruise next year leaves Vancouver June 14th. This cruise was on my bucket list and wanted to do some fishing while in Alaska as I am always fishing back home. Which fishing should I do and from which port? I am leaning towards Salmon fishing from a boat since I do not fly fish. I also would like to ship the filets home and would like to have some idea of cost. Can you also recommend which excursion, Royal or private.

Thank you so much in advance!! :)

Which ports are you visiting? and are you in port long enough for a charter?

The men in our extended family take a long weekend to fish in Alaska every yr, mid June. They always catch enough salmon and halibut to fill the freezer until next June. They used to fish in Ketchikan but for the last several yrs they've gone to an all inclusive resort in Sitka instead.

Since it's just a 2 hr flight for us they just have the fish cleaned and flash frozen and bring it home as excess luggage. You can call any fish processing vendor to get their prices or ask a charter company. Fed Ex is a popular option for shipping .... they'll pick up from your processor's freezer and you pick the delivery date.

I've seen Baranoff in Ketchikan mentioned in a few trip reports. Download the Ketchikan Visitor Guide for a list of MANY charter companies. https://visit-ketchikan.com/en/About-Ketchikan/Free-Guide

Edited by mapleleaves

Which ports are you visiting? and are you in port long enough for a charter?

The men in our extended family take a long weekend to fish in Alaska every yr, mid June. They always catch enough salmon and halibut to fill the freezer until next June. They used to fish in Ketchikan but for the last several yrs they've gone to an all inclusive resort in Sitka instead.

Since it's just a 2 hr flight for us they just have the fish cleaned and flash frozen and bring it home as excess luggage. You can call any fish processing vendor to get their prices or ask a charter company. Fed Ex is a popular option for shipping .... they'll pick up from your processor's freezer and you pick the delivery date.

I've seen Baranoff in Ketchikan mentioned in a few trip reports. Download the Ketchikan Visitor Guide for a list of MANY charter companies. https://visit-ketchikan.com/en/About-Ketchikan/Free-Guide

Thank you for your reply!

Ketchikan 6:00 am - 4:00 pm, Icy Strait Point 9:00 am - 6:00 pm, Juneau 7:00 am - 9:30 pm and Skagway 7:00 am - 5:00 pm

We halibut fished in mid July out of Ketchikan and it was awesome. We used Baranof fishing. They were same company that did the NCL excursion but going through them was cheaper and just us on the boat. They also do salmon fishing. We had to keep throwing back smaller ones as kept catching bigger. We were limited to one halibut per person but were able to keep any rockfish and cod. We had 4 big halibut, 3 cod and 3 rockfish and it cost about $200 to ship it home and have about 47 filets of fish costing $37 a pound. Great place. They suited you up also with rubber boots, bibs, etc. Great day on the water. Ask for John a school teacher he was great.

We halibut fished in mid July out of Ketchikan and it was awesome. We used Baranof fishing. They were same company that did the NCL excursion but going through them was cheaper and just us on the boat. They also do salmon fishing. We had to keep throwing back smaller ones as kept catching bigger. We were limited to one halibut per person but were able to keep any rockfish and cod. We had 4 big halibut, 3 cod and 3 rockfish and it cost about $200 to ship it home and have about 47 filets of fish costing $37 a pound. Great place. They suited you up also with rubber boots, bibs, etc. Great day on the water. Ask for John a school teacher he was great.

Thank you Krisco!

There are just 2 of us and I wanted to go on with at least 2 others to keep our cost down.

• 2 weeks later...