Best rum in the Carribean.

I'm not trying to be foolish but as long as you buy local, I have never had bad rum in the Caribbean. You probably already know this but you can bring it home with you.

Your ship may hold it until after the cruise. I think you can bring back 1 litre per person without paying duty. If you find that perfect rum, paying the duty is worth it.

Cheers! :whiskey-glass:

I've bought/tasted rum from Jamaica (Appleton), Barbados (Mount Gay), Bermuda (Black Seal), Puerto Rico (Bacardi) and from several other islands. Hands down the best rum I ever had was from Cayman Islands--Seven Fathoms Rum. I can't find here in the states but we toured the distillery in Grand Cayman and bought a bottle. So smooth...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure which islands or ports you're visiting but there are several rums I can recommend. We first found Pyrat Rum in St Thomas and it is an excellent on-the-rocks sipping rum. Recently I've found Bumbu, from Costa Rica, which is also an excellent sipping rum. Zaya Grand Reserve and St Theresa are a couple of others to search out. We've found that most Caribbean rums are available at discount prices (compared to US prices) even if the rum is not made on that island. Search the duty-free shops next to the port for deals.

Any suggestions on the best Dark Rum (not cheapest) you can get on the islands stopping at on Princess Cruises Eastern Carribean cruise. Love Rum and want to get a spectacular one to take home.

Jamacia - Appleton Joy

Babados - Foursquare Zinfandel Cask, Foursquare Triptych, St.Nicholas Abbey 18/21

Martinique - La Favorite La Flibuste, Clement XO Carafe, Clement 15

St Lucia - 1931 Anniversary

Antigua - English Harbour 1981

Anguilla - Pyrat Cask (prior to Patron only - If you can find it)

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Pyrat

My vote goes to Cruzan Rum! Cruzan rum sells light, dark, 151 and flavored rums such as coconut, pineapple at others.

Very smooth and great tasting. Cruzan rum is made in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands and is found in stores in the Virgin Islands and in the United States.

IMHO it's only worth bringing home rum that can't be purchased at home. That being said, once you find that perfect bottle to bring home, once you finish it, that's it. No more. Or at least until you return to the island!

I got lucky. I asked the shopkeeper in Barbados for a recommendation of a rum not sold in the States, and he pointed me to Doorly's XO, which is aged in a Sherry cask. OMG! Soooooo good! So I drank my bottle, then wondered how I'd ever be able to drink "regular" rum again. I searched for a comparable rum, and actually found one distilled in Florida. That worked for a few years, until they stopped distributing to Nevada, where I live. Now I start to panic, but then discovered that Doorly's XO has started to be sold in the US! I immediately bought 12 bottles, just in case they had a limited amount (Total Wine & More). So far I've been able to replenish my stock, and have introduced others to this delicious rum.

I drink it mixed in Coke with lime, as I don't sip straight rum, but I'd bet this would be great over ice, or neat. If you find a bottle (about $20) give it a try. Then thank me later! [emoji846]

I've bought/tasted rum from Jamaica (Appleton), Barbados (Mount Gay), Bermuda (Black Seal), Puerto Rico (Bacardi) and from several other islands. Hands down the best rum I ever had was from Cayman Islands--Seven Fathoms Rum. I can't find here in the states but we toured the distillery in Grand Cayman and bought a bottle. So smooth...

I have to agree with TXCruiser10 on the Seven Fathoms from Grand Cayman, it's the smoothest I have drank. It's small batch & is not available in the states. :loudcry::loudcry:

Agreed!

My husband is a rum fanatic and would tell you hands down that Seven Fathom's rum is THE best. We took a tour of their factory twice now; Once before they moved to their larger location, and the the last time we were there he bought several bottles and they personally signed them and numbered them while we were there. When we go again next year, we'll be buying more. Too bad they don't sell it in the states.

He does buy rum from different ports we've been to, just to say he bought it there. We now have a "rum bar" room because of this.:rolleyes: