Nieuw Statendam Changes

ipoder

I just sat through a HAL webinar on the Nieuw Statendam. Basically, they affirmed that the Nieuw Statendam will be almost identical to the Koningsdam, with similar theming, staterooms, and public spaces. The atrium "harp" sculpture will also be on the N.S. It seems the only changes will be minor cosmetic/decor changes, the venue swaps on Deck 2, and the open air concept in Tamarind.

Thank you for the information. In my opinion, one of the things that I like about the Signature Class sisters and the Volendam/Zaandam sisters is the different decor themes. In my mind, that small difference between each ship allows each ship to have her own "personality". Maybe my thinking is incorrect, but I think HAL missed an opportunity to give each of the Pinnacle Class ships their own personality rather than relying on the same "theme" for both.

I am still interested in the new configuration of the bars and music venues that has been up-in-the-air !

That, and any decor/color scheme changes to the main dining room.

The deck plans for Nieuw Statendam can be downloaded and compared to the deck plans for Koningsdam. The switches of venues are shown. Looks OK to me, but I have not sailed on Koningsdam.

aybe my thinking is incorrect, but I think HAL missed an opportunity to give each of the Pinnacle Class ships their own personality rather than relying on the same "theme" for both.
Unless they plan on maintaining deck plans with different deck names than Beethoven/Gershwin/Mozart/Schubert, Pinnacle III will also have a music theme.

I am still interested in the new configuration of the bars and music venues that has been up-in-the-air !

That, and any decor/color scheme changes to the main dining room.

The deck plans for Nieuw Statendam can be downloaded and compared to the deck plans for Koningsdam. The switches of venues are shown. Looks OK to me, but I have not sailed on Koningsdam.
Yes, nothing is really up in the air at this point, with the exception of the mystery space in the former Billboard Onboard space on Deck 2, Forward. The presenters mentioned some minor changes in color scheming, but that the same décor influences and focus on music will exist. I wouldn't expect any changes to the main dining room, save for perhaps a differently colored carpet.

All of this discussion increases my anticipation of being a guest on the the Nieuw Statendam's early January, 2019 Caribbean cruises. What will I experience? Another travel adventure, I think.

Oh yes, another adventure that's for sure. I don't mind hearing peoples complaints, because it reminds me that in about 6 and a half months we will be on board.

Sandra

• 2 months later...

I saw the most recent Youtube video and listened to this week's travel agent podcast, which briefly addressed the Nieuw Statendam. Nothing new to report. It seems that the swapped music venues on Deck 2 and the addition of al fresco dining to Tamarind will be the only major differences of the Nieuw Statendam. Same theming, same design, and same general layout as the Koningsdam (which we expected).

Thanks! As of right now, three are a done deal

I also heard a HAL Captain say that a ship larger than a Pinnacle class one had been approved. He said it marked a real confidence in HAL’s future by the company. I asked if he could say anything else about it and he said that’s all he knew.

I also heard a HAL Captain say that a ship larger than a Pinnacle class one had been approved.

Reading this makes me glad that my cruising life is winding down, rather than starting up. I'm happy I was able to see so much of the world when ships were small communities of out-going people who had a great opportunity to really get to know each other --- all while on elegant vessels taking them on fabulous adventures.

Oh yes, another adventure that's for sure. I don't mind hearing peoples complaints, because it reminds me that in about 6 and a half months we will be on board.

Sandra

Pretty much decided on a Niew Statendam cruise early next year.Am excited to see what she looks like.No preconceived notions here!:cool:

I also heard a HAL Captain say that a ship larger than a Pinnacle class one had been approved. He said it marked a real confidence in HAL’s future by the company.
It is an interesting lens through which to see the news: What is meant by "HAL's future" is, of course, an open question. That confidence is surely not in the Holland America of the past or even the present, given how hard the cruise line is working to change. That confidence is therefore in the future of the cruise line (where such confidence belongs). CCL knows they can fill ships, but how they brand their offerings is something that they can change relatively easily over time (especially with regard to different brands owned by the same subsidiary). We can rest assured that the cruise line will change as much over the next ten years as it has over the last ten years, if not more.

And in what direction is it changing? In what direction do Konigsdam and Nieuw Statendam point? In what direction did Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam point? The changes to Holland America over the last ten years made it remarkably difficult to decide between Holland America and Princess. I bet more than one "feature" of today's newest Princess ships will be prominent among the new features of this post-Pinnacle ship.

It is an interesting lens through which to see the news: What is meant by "HAL's future" is, of course, an open question. That confidence is surely not in the Holland America of the past or even the present, given how hard the cruise line is working to change. That confidence is therefore in the future of the cruise line (where such confidence belongs). CCL knows they can fill ships, but how they brand their offerings is something that they can change relatively easily over time (especially with regard to different brands owned by the same subsidiary). We can rest assured that the cruise line will change as much over the next ten years as it has over the last ten years, if not more.

And in what direction is it changing? In what direction do Konigsdam and Nieuw Statendam point? In what direction did Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam point? The changes to Holland America over the last ten years made it remarkably difficult to decide between Holland America and Princess. I bet more than one "feature" of today's newest Princess ships will be prominent among the new features of this post-Pinnacle ship.

I'd settle for a Lido where getting something more substantial than bread did not involve waiting in a cafeteria-style line. I found the buffet on the Royal Princess spread out and easy to deal with.

Another question... I am noticing cabins C1127 - C1135 off the Atrium, that seem to be like Ocean View cabins, but are much larger... and NO windows shown??? Does anyone know anything about this?
If they didn't have windows they couldn't be classed as C, which is "oceanview".

I'd settle for a Lido where getting something more substantial than bread did not involve waiting in a cafeteria-style line. I found the buffet on the Royal Princess spread out and easy to deal with.

On my last cruise, the only times I ever had to wait in the Lido was when I ordered fresh cooked eggs or toast from the grill at breakfast or had the omelettes or pastas from the on-demand stations. Other than that, the "line," such as it was was smooth and no waiting.

Where will the dance floor be for the new BB Kings? Every time we have sailed on the KD, BB King was packed and the dance floor was jammed! It would be a shame if the incredible Queens Lounge went to sleep at 10!
You make a good point. I think the Queens Lounge space is much better suited for BB Kings than it is for Lincoln Center. Hopefully they get creative with the new BB Kings and former Billboard spaces.