Selecting a Cruise for delayed Honeymoon: Nieuw Statendam or New Amsterdam?

Reg Dunlop

So long story short, my wife and I are approaching our 5 year anniversary. We never did a real honeymoon as well life was busy for us. We are finally in a position where we can sit back and relax. We are looking at taking a cruise in November 2019. I've done a search and narrowed it down to 2 possible options, Nov 23 on Nieuw Amsterdam or Nov 24th on Nieuw Statendam. This is where I need your help, suggestions, and input.

I have been on one cruise in my life, it was aboard the Volendam in 2000 (Alaska Inside Passage) when I was only 12. It was truly the time of my life. At that age, I was too old for Club Hal and too young for The Loft so I participated in neither and just enjoyed my time sipping orange juice in the Crow's Nest, watching the evening entertainment in the theater, and lounging about the ship while gorging myself on fantastic food.

My wife on the other hand has never been on a cruise, but I am certain that after one week onboard she will be hooked and we'll make this an annual tradition. Her first idea for a honeymoon was an all-inclusive resort, but those places tend to be lacking in entertainment and after 2 days of lounging on the beach you want more. As it is her first cruise, I did explore other options such as Celebrity, but I can't help but feel a large ship like the Solstice class will just be too much and will lack the intimate feel you can get on a HAL ship. I'm going with HAL not only because of my past positive experience, but my knowledge that you can still get away from crowds on a HAL ship and enjoy a quiet moment or two.

With that in mind, which ship would present the better option for a honeymoon? We're going to be booking balcony staterooms and the price is the same. I know these ships are larger than the Volendam that 12 year old me fondly remembers, but I figure they make up for that with the added music venues and specialty restaurants.

I apologize in advance if I'm a bit long winded here, but I eagerly await your comments.

Which itineraries????

That can make a difference.

We are looking at the Nieuw Statandam, in late September, for both the itinerary and the newest ship!

Both seem to be hitting the same ports of call (but in different orders)

Leaving from Fort Lauderdale and going to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, and Key West before returning to Fort Lauderdale.

We did this itinerary on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the NA sister ship Konigsdam was in one of the ports with us, side by side. Personally, for a first introductory cruise I would do the smaller Nieuw Amsterdam. Easier to get your head around this ship for a first time cruiser. But lots do like the larger variety of offereings on the brand new ones too. Looks like you can't lose.

I'd be tempted to go on the N. Statendam. We've been on both the NA & Koningsdam and didn't find the Koningsdam too big.

Originally I worried about the larger ship but found it quite nice. I think being on the newest ship in the fleet would be a great honeymoon. Can't go wrong with either though.

I echo what CanadianBear said. As well, the Nieuw Statendam will have the new washrooms with walk-in shower. Those were awesome on the Koningsdam. I also enjoyed the outdoor theatre at the Lido pool. It was like going to a drive-in movie!

Before you book anything - are you choosing those dates because they fall over Thanksgiving weekend? Be forewarned that both ships will be full of families with kids. Maybe not the honeymoon atmosphere you'd like.

That being said, I've been on both the Nieuw Amsterdam and the Koningsdam, sister ship to the Nieuw Statendam. I think you can't go wrong with either!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have sailed the N. Amsterdam, she's a great ship, I am going to sail the Koningsdam this coming March, which is sister ship to the new N. Statendam. My sister sailed the Koningsdam this past March for her honeymoon, they could not say enough good about the ship, the crew and the passengers, they are looking forward to our family cruise on the Koningsdam this coming March, even if it is the same itinerary.

My thought is either ship you cannot go wrong with, but like another poster here said, the N. Statendam will be the newest, I'd probably lean towards that ship.

Have a wonderful honeymoon.............

To expand on doone’s comments, above, the crew on the Koningsdam were amazing. The stewards in The Retreat were saying that only the top staff are eligible to work on that ship. And that’s saying something because HAL’s staff are above and beyond. I imagine the same thing will happen on the Nieuw Statendam.

To expand on doone’s comments, above, the crew on the Koningsdam were amazing. The stewards in The Retreat were saying that only the top staff are eligible to work on that ship. And that’s saying something because HAL’s staff are above and beyond. I imagine the same thing will happen on the Nieuw Statendam.

Now I really can't wait til March :D

I too have been on both the NA and Koningsdam; I don't think you can go wrong with either ship. NS will be bigger than NA with more guests, certainly, but we never felt like Koningsdam was too big or overcrowded.

As the itineraries are so similar and your time frame the same, I think I might, were I you, choose NS over NA just simply to see the newest ship in the fleet with all her new spaces, restaurants and style. Someone else has pointed out that families will be in greater abundance the week you are looking at but we've done Thanksgiving week before and not been annoyed by wild children and that can happen whether there's one child or dozens aboard. What I've noticed on holiday cruises is that passengers tend to hang out in familial groups and stay more to themselves. So long as you can find that "quiet place" you are seeking you'll probably be good.

You've not mentioned the cabin type you are looking for but be sure to stay clear of cabins directly below or above the Queens Lounge where the BB Kings All Star band will entertain or annoy you (in cabin) until nearly midnight most nights. Also note that this space has been moved on NS from where you'll find it on Koningsdam, being swapped with Lincoln Center Stage.

We'll be on NS in January 2019 and are looking very forward to comparing her to Koningsdam. Good luck with your choice; I don't think you can go wrong either way. :D

WAY off topic... But, about the retreat...

Is it just me, or would this not be claustrophobic. It seems like a very limited space that is like crammed in like office cubicles??? I would not pass up the opportunity on some other ships/lines... But, maybe I am missing the appeal here?

Is it just me, or would this not be claustrophobic. It seems like a very limited space that is like crammed in like office cubicles??? I would not pass up the opportunity on some other ships/lines... But, maybe I am missing the appeal here?

For me, the appeal is having somewhere to go where I am guaranteed a lounger in a secluded area. I like having someone bring me breakfast/lunch/snacks/beverages because I hate fighting the crowds in the Lido. I like having bottled water and champagne. I don’t eat the frozen grapes or chocolate dipped strawberries, but others find them nice. I like the fruit basket.

We didn’t find it claustrophobic but others might. Great they have choices so we can all enjoy the experience. There is an open space in the center with loungers for those that want some sun, tables to enjoy your b’fast or lunch, play cards etc. on some ships there is a table in your cabana if that is what you prefer. Great service from the staff, you order they deliver. Yes, you are paying for the experience but we found it worth it. DH does not do sun and the cabana offered him the shade he desires. No running all over the ship with your towel looking for the shade, I tend to participate in events on the ship, DH does not, well except for happy hour [emoji4]. I always know where to find him. Love the frozen grapes and champagne they serve in late afternoon. Again, not for everyone but these are just my opinions on the subject.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam several times and enjoyed her.

Yes, the Nieuw Statendam will have more eating venues, but the cabins are smaller.

The dates you have chosen are over Thanksgiving. JMO -- I would other dates. We did the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam over Thanksgiving and both ships were mobbed with children -- quite a few not supervised.

I've cruised on the K'dam (same itinerary) but prefer the Nieuw Amsterdam. We have a cruise booked for 2019 on the Nieuw Statendam, but would have booked it on the Nieuw Amsterdam had it been an option.

Your comment about the Solstice class ships surprises me, as your only talking about an extra 200 or so passengers. Having sailed several times on the Eclipse, I can say that it felt no bigger than the K'dam.

I realize that being over Thanksgiving, we should expect more kids running about. With that in mind, my preference would have been to go a week earlier, but Thanksgiving week is also the week that we will have my parents available to watch our toddler. I figure HAL will mean fewer kids that week than we would find on most other lines. We struck RCI, NCL, etc. from our list instantly for that reason. I guess HAL's reputation of being the line for older cruisers may help us out here. Having once been a child on a HAL cruise, I can say the ships are kid friendly, but I don't think word has gotten out on that one.

... We struck RCI, NCL, etc. from our list instantly for that reason. I guess HAL's reputation of being the line for older cruisers may help us out here. Having once been a child on a HAL cruise, I can say the ships are kid friendly, but I don't think word has gotten out on that one.

Nieuw Amsterdam is a bit closer to the Volendam in terms of traditional cruise experience (full-size promenade deck, smoother passenger flow, nicer spa pool). Nieuw Statendam is a bit closer to the Celebrity Solstice class, maybe just a tad smaller than the Solstice with a more contemporary vibe than the NA and more pay dining options. Both are perfectly suitable for your needs, however.

We have been on both the NA and the Koningsdam. We have been sailing on HAL since our early 30’s and are still quite young for HAL demographics mid 40’s/50. Having said that, we are passionate about the line and love it’s classic and uncrowded feel.

We were on the Koningsdam in her inaugural 6 months for 3 weeks to Uk/Iceland/Norway. It was planned for a year and I counted down the days and watched every detail about the new ship build. We couldn’t wait to be on the newest ship. The ship was beautiful but something wasn’t right. It took us a week to figure out that we were not relaxing as usual because it was just too crowded! It left us stressed. We couldn’t get away from people. Elevators, lounges, shops, lido, pool.... always people everywhere! They were setting up folding tables around the pool so people would have a place to eat. Again, I loved the ports but would have had a much better time on a Signature class ship (NA or Eurodam).

We have been on the NA several times and love that ship. We have hardly ever waited for an elevator or felt crowded by passengers on that class of ship. We can always find a quiet corner of the ship to relax.

You mentioned that you loved the intimate feel of the Volendam. If the space ratio is important to you, you might want to consider the NA over the NS. To us it was a big deal! For others, maybe not.

You can look up websites where they list the passenger space ratio for all cruise ships. The NA is 34 while the NS will be only 31 like it’s sister the Koningsdam. The Volendam is 36. The higher the number, the more “space” it has when fully booked.

I hope you have a great time and I want to offer a different perspective than others may have. The crowdedness of a ship is very important for our enjoyment. We thought all HAL ships would feel spacious. (We learned that wasn’t true the hard way after our Koningsdam trip). For us, the drop in passenger:space ratio between the Signature and Pinnacle classes was too much. We will not be choosing the Kdam or NS in the future.

Again, I hope your delayed honeymoon is fabulous and you enjoy every minute of it. Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have cruised on both the Nieuw Amsterdam and Koningsdam and loved them both. Everything else being equal, I would choose the Koningsdam (or in your case, the Nieuw Statendam).

We loved the decor, the great cabin bathrooms with the glass walk-in showers. The built-in USB ports in the cabins are great for all the electronics everyone needs to charge. The main theater with the wrap round digital screen makes for some really interesting shows. The Grand Dutch cafe is a really nice place for some different food choices, and it is only on the 2 newest ships.

We never had any trouble finding quiet spots to just sit and read, and we never found the ship to be crowded.

Regarding cruising over Thanksgiving: We have done that several times and it has never been an issue for us as far as hoards of kids being a problem. There will be more kids than on other sailing dates, but still relatively few.

We have done three cruises on the Koningsdam and we found her to be a very stable ship even in rough seas. Anyone who is prone to motion sickness might appreciate that.

We have liked every HAL ship we have been on and feel you won't go wrong with either of your choices, but the newer ship would be our choice. As a matter of fact we are booked on the Nieuw Statendam's maiden transatlantic - can't wait!!

My wife and I did a 2 week back to back Eastern and Western Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The staff treated us with special attention the entire first week. We really loved the ship and the staff.

I give you permission to use my ship for your honeymoon as well.

I agree with a previous poster and urge you to still consider Celebrity. The solstice class ships have just a few more hundred people but a lot more area to hide them. The area to passenger capacity ratio is excellent on those ships, better than on K-dam. Take a gander at the new Celebrity Edge that will debut around the same time as the Nieuw Statendam. The concepts they're implementing on that ship look pretty cool, but only time will tell if they pull them off. You have plenty of time to book your cruise and can wait for reviews of the ship before committing. That said, I enjoy both lines and have a large group booked on the Nieuw Statendam next September. You can't go wrong either way!

• 2 months later...
So long story short, my wife and I are approaching our 5 year anniversary. We never did a real honeymoon as well life was busy for us. We are finally in a position where we can sit back and relax. We are looking at taking a cruise in November 2019. I've done a search and narrowed it down to 2 possible options, Nov 23 on Nieuw Amsterdam or Nov 24th on Nieuw Statendam. This is where I need your help, suggestions, and input.

I have been on one cruise in my life, it was aboard the Volendam in 2000 (Alaska Inside Passage) when I was only 12. It was truly the time of my life. At that age, I was too old for Club Hal and too young for The Loft so I participated in neither and just enjoyed my time sipping orange juice in the Crow's Nest, watching the evening entertainment in the theater, and lounging about the ship while gorging myself on fantastic food.

My wife on the other hand has never been on a cruise, but I am certain that after one week onboard she will be hooked and we'll make this an annual tradition. Her first idea for a honeymoon was an all-inclusive resort, but those places tend to be lacking in entertainment and after 2 days of lounging on the beach you want more. As it is her first cruise, I did explore other options such as Celebrity, but I can't help but feel a large ship like the Solstice class will just be too much and will lack the intimate feel you can get on a HAL ship. I'm going with HAL not only because of my past positive experience, but my knowledge that you can still get away from crowds on a HAL ship and enjoy a quiet moment or two.

With that in mind, which ship would present the better option for a honeymoon? We're going to be booking balcony staterooms and the price is the same. I know these ships are larger than the Volendam that 12 year old me fondly remembers, but I figure they make up for that with the added music venues and specialty restaurants.

I apologize in advance if I'm a bit long winded here, but I eagerly await your comments.

Hands down NS, we are taking her in April 2019 can’t wait! I love new, yes it’s bigger, but it’s new!