Surprising someone with the gift of a cruise

bananatami

It was during Christmas 2003 and I was with my husband family (total of 14 people). We were all sitting around and just talking. The granddad looked at his wife and said "Should we tell them now"? Everyone heard him say that and everyone got really quiet. We didn't know what they were going to say. He is about 74 so we didn't know if he was sick or what. So he begins and says, "I can't take it with me to my grave so, I am taking everyone on a cruise". We couldn't believe it. First of all, it was a relief but we were all excited.

Now, almost a year and half later, our cruise is just around the corner. :) This will be the first cruise for our entire group except 4 people. I can't wait!

• 3 months later...

I'm a last minute kinda guy and one year at Christmas time I hadn't gotten my roomate a gift. I found myself sitting in front of my computer at 1am Christmas morning and decided a cruise would be the perfect present. I proceded to book it, and print the confirmation. I then rummaged around for the perfect presentation idea. Digging through the garbage I found some empty Corona bottles. I cleaned one up, rolled up the paper confirmation and printed out a big picture of the ship "Carnival Fantasy" stuffed them inside creating a "ship/cruise" in a bottle..slapped a bow on it and called it a night. It was well recieved and we had a blast on our impromptu cruise 3 weeks later.

My sister and I decided to send my parents on a cruise to Bermuda in July 1998, right after their 25th anniversary. They fell in love with cruising when they first took us to Bermuda on Royal Caribbean's Nordic Prince (now long gone) in July 1990 and they became addicted immediately, as did we. So we sent them on the same itinerary on Royal Caribbean's Song of America (also long gone now) July 1998. We were going to arrange with my dad's boss for him to have that week off, as we were going to surprise them on July 1st (their actual anniversary) but the cruise was leaving on July 5th or something. That way they would have still had a few days to pack and stuff.

Well, the November before their anniversary, things were already underway and their cruise had been booked a few months before. I was down in Maryland at school (University of MD) and my sister was at home going to COlumbia University for grad school. My parents' friends had come over one night and their 25th anniversary was going to be 2 months after my parents'. They started talking about booking a Bermuda cruise in July 1998 to celebrate their silver anniversaries together! Naturally my sister was shocked and didn't know what to do. She called me in Maryland and asked if it was ok with me if she told them about the anniversary cruise. She said she would do it while I was on the phone. I said yes, to avoid any trouble my parents might have had if they would have booked something else. So she told them with me right there on the phone. They were so surprised and overjoyed. My mother couldn't stop thanking me and my sister.

They went on their cruise and had a blast. They met a very nice couple from England and did some shore excursions with them in Bermuda. My parents said that the only thing that was missing on that cruise was me and my sister. We thought that was sweet and very touching of course!

It was so nice to do this for my parents. They have done so much for us over the years and have been there for us, that we felt they deserved this ten times over and then some!

-Bonnie

• 12 years later...

OK, so my son and daughter in law are planning on a Honeymoon Cruise and have been saving up for it. DH and I are gifting them the cruise as a wedding present! Any ideas on how to present it and word the card telling them it is paid for by us?? They are going to be so surprised!