Making locals from Australia with US ATT international plan?

dkata

OK, I feel stupid asking this, but I Googled it and can't find a good answer.

I have ATT cellular service and will be using their international plan which is $10 a day to use my phone minutes and data overseas.

So I don't have to get a different SIM card or change my US cell phone number.

I understand how to make a call from the US to Australia: You dial 011, then 61 and then the number.

But if I am in Australia or New Zealand with a US number SIM card and using my US mobile number, how do I make a local call? For example, how do I call the hotel to tell them I'm going to be late, or call for a dinner reservation?

Do I just dial the 8 digit number direct, without the country code? Or do I have to pretend my phone is still in the US and dial the 011-61-xxxx-xxxx, even if the place I'm calling is down the street?

And what do I tell the locals on how to contact me on the same cellphone if I am in the same city, area?

No need to feel silly, we all learn by asking questions!

When your phone is physically located in a country, dialing OUT from your phone, is just like dialing from a local phone, for the numbers you use. Australia, like many overseas countries, uses a "0" in front of phone numbers that is used when calling locally, but omitted when dialing internationally and adding a country code.

So, for example, when you call the Sydney Overseas Passenger Terminal from the USA, you'd dial 011-61-2-9296-4999. (or replace the "011" with a "+") Using your USA mobile phone once you're inside Australia, just dial 02-9296-4999.

Your phone will still be charged international roaming fees, for using it outside the USA.

Now, for someone to call YOU, from anywhere in the world, they still have to dial using the USA country code. +1-xxx-xxxx. The only exception is, of course, if someone from the USA calls your USA number. Unless you replace the sim card, your phone will always be a USA phone number.

TIP: When saving phone numbers in my contacts, I always save them with the corresponding country code for that phone. That way, when I'm calling, it always goes through, whether I'm calling from next door or halfway around the planet. (I travel a lot) Otherwise you get annoying automated messages that the call can't be completed, because you forgot a part.

Hope this helps!

No need to feel silly, we all learn by asking questions!

When your phone is physically located in a country, dialing OUT from your phone, is just like dialing from a local phone, for the numbers you use. Australia, like many overseas countries, uses a "0" in front of phone numbers that is used when calling locally, but omitted when dialing internationally and adding a country code.

So, for example, when you call the Sydney Overseas Passenger Terminal from the USA, you'd dial 011-61-2-9296-4999. (or replace the "011" with a "+") Using your USA mobile phone once you're inside Australia, just dial 02-9296-4999.

Your phone will still be charged international roaming fees, for using it outside the USA.

Now, for someone to call YOU, from anywhere in the world, they still have to dial using the USA country code. +1-xxx-xxxx. The only exception is, of course, if someone from the USA calls your USA number. Unless you replace the sim card, your phone will always be a USA phone number.

TIP: When saving phone numbers in my contacts, I always save them with the corresponding country code for that phone. That way, when I'm calling, it always goes through, whether I'm calling from next door or halfway around the planet. (I travel a lot) Otherwise you get annoying automated messages that the call can't be completed, because you forgot a part.

Hope this helps!

The advice given above is not quite correct. The 02 at the front of the number is for calling New South Wales and ACT numbers from other Australian states. If in Sydney or anywhere else in the state or ACT and phoning the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT) you would just dial 9296 4999. Each state has their own area code except for Victoria and Tasmania which share 03.

Hope this makes sense.

Leigh

The advice given above is not quite correct. The 02 at the front of the number is for calling New South Wales and ACT numbers from other Australian states. If in Sydney or anywhere else in the state or ACT and phoning the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT) you would just dial 9296 4999.
But it'll still work if you include the 02, won't it?

I do as Wildblue says, and all numbers are always stored in my phones in the international format. So I would always be dialling +61292964999 for that number, wherever I am in the world.

But it'll still work if you include the 02, won't it?

I do as Wildblue says, and all numbers are always stored in my phones in the international format. So I would always be dialling +61292964999 for that number, wherever I am in the world.

Good point, no it actually doesn't make a difference if you use the area code. So you the way you have your numbers should be fine.

Leigh