Need Tips on Navigating Port of Galveston

travelbuff6823

My family and I are cruising on VOS out of Galveston a week from today. We have made reservations at Lighthouse Parking and we have priority boarding. Does anyone have any tips on what roads to take/avoid in getting to Lighthouse Parking? Also, what time would you suggest we arrive if we want to get on the ship as early as possible? Thanks so much.

• 8 months later...

Travelbuff6823, I see you didn't get any responses to your request in January. Just wondering if you could tell me what you learned. We are cruising from Galveston (first time) in January 2019. Thanks for any advice you can give. We are on the Carnival Vista, but I'm sure cruise parking/shuttle to port will be comparable. :)

We get there by 10:30 or so. Drive to the terminal and drop off wife and bags. I keep my passport and boarding pass. Park indoors across the street at Galveston Park N Cruise and walk over or use EZ Cruise Parking another block away for outside parking. Easy walk also.

The best route is I-45 across the causeway into Galveston then remain on that road as the freeway ends and becomes Broadway. Make a left at 29th Street and follow it to the Lighthouse Parking entrance.

Agree unless you are dropping folks and bags off at terminal first . If so Stay on Broadway to 22nd, turn left and straight into entrance of terminals .

However fairly soon Harborside improvements will be finished , and ingress and egress with terminals are changing. 23rd will become an entrance . No more present 22nd .

Agree unless you are dropping folks and bags off at terminal first . If so Stay on Broadway to 22nd, turn left and straight into entrance of terminals .

However fairly soon Harborside improvements will be finished , and ingress and egress with terminals are changing. 23rd will become an entrance . No more present 22nd .

Is there an appox. date when that might take effect?

Is there an appox. date when that might take effect?

Project is a 6+ mile one from I45 to Ferry Rd.

The State, City, Port, and UTMB have been involved in planning.

Total project will be completed some time by late 2019 .

Construction on Harborside for medians has already begun.

As to 23rd entrance ???.

Will keep you informed as to progress. .

Dropping off luggage/family @ terminal #2 (RCI), then parking car at Galveston Park N Cruise at 2514 New Strand. A few questions:

1) From Broadway, can I make the left onto 25th street and go straight into terminal #2 parking lot? Or alternatively, take Harborside drive and turn left @ 25th street?

2) Once I do the drop-off at terminal 2, how easy is it to make a left out of the parking loet onto Harborside to get to Galveston Park N Cruise? Or do I have to make a right and go “around the block”?

Just trying to get the timing down. I expect to be there around 10:00 on Nov 4th. I know its Lone Star Rally weekend but on another thread I created, that doesn’t seem to be much of an issue.

Dropping off luggage/family @ terminal #2 (RCI), then parking car at Galveston Park N Cruise at 2514 New Strand. A few questions:

1) From Broadway, can I make the left onto 25th street and go straight into terminal #2 parking lot? Or alternatively, take Harborside drive and turn left @ 25th street?

2) Once I do the drop-off at terminal 2, how easy is it to make a left out of the parking loet onto Harborside to get to Galveston Park N Cruise? Or do I have to make a right and go “around the block”?

Just trying to get the timing down. I expect to be there around 10:00 on Nov 4th. I know its Lone Star Rally weekend but on another thread I created, that doesn’t seem to be much of an issue.

1. There a no left turn sign at 25th and Broadway . So No from either . Stay on Broadway go to 22nd and left straight into actual present terminal entrance . Gates at 25th and Harborside up to this date have been closed in traffic patterns .

2. It’s easy , but on way out turn right on inside road in terminal lot , and you have to probably go to 33rd and turn left on Harborside back to your parking . A direct exit there is for port and commercial transfer parking vehicles only . Even though you turn right there is No more u turn on to Harborside . Go to 33rd .

During period of Harborside construction improvements all this will be subject change daily .

Edited by ssb

I see in another thread you may be traveling Sunday biker weekend , so you will have to go Harborside to 22nd .

Or stay on Broadway and go probably to 18th or 19th , turn left to Harborside past events , and then left again on Harborside to 22nd , And right into entrance for terminals .

Thank you again for all the advice, SSB. You have been a wealth of information. At least I now have an approximate idea of how to get around so I won't be the typical clueless tourist, looking like a deer stuck in headlights.

My DW & DD will have the Google Maps and Waze GPS apps going so we'll be getting real-time - and probably conflicting - traffic updates.

Thank you again for all the advice, SSB. You have been a wealth of information. At least I now have an approximate idea of how to get around so I won't be the typical clueless tourist, looking like a deer stuck in headlights.

My DW & DD will have the Google Maps and Waze GPS apps going so we'll be getting real-time - and probably conflicting - traffic updates.

What exactly is a DW & DD?