Labadee Trip Report

RMH

Ok...never been to laberdee...is this a RCCL "private" island??

What's included...food?? Where do I get information??

Thanks

Yes - Labadee is a small peninsula on the northern coast of Haiti for which Royal Caribbean has paid for exclusive rights to use and develop. They have a pier that can handle all of their ships and it is scheduled so that there is usually only one ship there at a time. Since RCCL owns it, they provide a free lunch buffet, free chairs to use at the beach, and other free activities. And, of course, there are things you can do that cost extra $ too - such as a zip line over the ocean, alpine coaster, jet ski and parasailing tours, and ship excursions to places outside of Labadee. There is also a market (actually two of them) that Royal Caribbean has allowed locals from Haiti to come in and sell souvenirs and the like to the passengers.

It is a small, very walk-able area and is generally seen as a nice day at the beach without the hassle of arranging for transportation, food, or any of the other extra planning things you would find at a normal port.

Lots of information on this forum. Some information on Trip Advisor or on the RCCL website.

Can someone tell me where the cruise ship dock is on the island? I have a map but I don't see it-maybe because its a color map that I printed in black and white-if you can tell me which beach is nearby I can probably figure it out. Thank you!

Diane

All the way to the lower left or southwest side you should see a line extending out from the resort . That is the pier .

Thanks for the good information and the map. That's very helpful.

Our son says they are going to Dragon's Breath Beach. I don't see that on the map. Is it near Dragon's Plaza? Is there any shade at Dragon's Breath Beach?

There are a total of four beaches in Labadee: Adreneline Beach, Barefoot Beach, Nellies Beach, and Colombus Cove. =

Thanks for the good information and the map. That's very helpful.

Our son says they are going to Dragon's Breath Beach. I don't see that on the map. Is it near Dragon's Plaza? Is there any shade at Dragon's Breath Beach?

Yes Dragon's Breath Beach is right by Dragon's Plaza - near the end of the zip line. There is not a lot of shade on the beach itself, but there is shade and lounge chairs if you move further in from the water.

Originally posted by Marylandcruiser89 Can someone tell me where the cruise ship dock is on the island? I have a map but I don't see it-maybe because its a color map that I printed in black and white-if you can tell me which beach is nearby I can probably figure it out. Thank you!

Diane

All the way to the lower left or southwest side you should see a line extending out from the resort . That is the pier .

Thank you. I see labels over there for pier entrance so that must be it!

I just read about the chairs. I do believe they were $35 each for the day.

There is only a charge for chairs if you rent a clamshell (or cabana or beach bed for a higher price). There are a gazillion lounge chairs available for free at every beach area.

From everything I read, there is a ferry, but I did not see it operating the day we were there. That could have just been due to lack of attention on my part, however. But, we did spend most of the day at Columbus Cove and you think I would have noticed a ferry coming and going (my wife would disagree).

Supposedly, it starts right at the dock as soon as you get off the ship and takes you to the old pier where they used to tender prior to the current pier being built. It will then pick you up at the same spot and take you back. Super convenient if it is, in fact, operating

I think the ferry only runs in the early morning. And I've read that it doesn't take you back to the pier, because it bypasses the security line. So you can take the ferry to Columbus Cove, but you have to walk or take the tram (free) back afterward.

I think the ferry only runs in the early morning. And I've read that it doesn't take you back to the pier, because it bypasses the security line. So you can take the ferry to Columbus Cove, but you have to walk or take the tram (free) back afterward.

That makes sense - and makes me feel better about not noticing it when we were there! Thanks Brillohead.

Is the view from the lookout pretty good? I was thinking the view from the ship would probably be one of the best.

Yes, the view is quite good. Unobstructed view of the ship at a great angle and a great view of the surrounding ocean. The rock formations are fascinating as well, with the most famous being the rock formation of the dragon's head from where the Lookout gets its name. Also interesting is the "Dragon's Breath" that you can hear when the water comes in under the rocks and the sound of the air moving out is like the breathing of the dragon.

Just make sure you go in the morning or early afternoon. We tried to do it last thing of the day and the gate was closed.

That is correct. You catch it on the pier just after getting off the ship. Only operated the first part of the day and only took passengers the one way. We took the tram back at the end of the day.

We are 3 couples with separate but linked bookings. We want to rent loungers (clamshells) at Adrenaline Beach in Labadee.

What is the best way to make sure we can get 3 loungers together? Should we put them all on one reservation?

Can we request specific loungers at the shore excursion deck onboard or do we get them from a beach attendant? If the latter, I presume the earlier we get to the beach the better.

Can each couple claim their own reserved lounger, even if they all are on the same reservation, or can the loungers be claimed only by the person whose name is on the reservation?

Will our loungers be held for us all day, even if we wander off for awhile, or is it like deck chairs where they are not (supposed to be) held?

Any other suggestions for having our three loungers together and keeping them that way?

Thanks very much.

Nancy

My understanding is that you will get the loungers once you arrive on the beach - there is not a way to reserve a specific lounger ahead of time. So, if you want all three couples to be together, you should arrive together. Once you have them, they are yours for the day and you can leave to go to other areas of Labadee and come back. I don't see any real advantage of putting them all on one reservation, unless one person is going to pay for them all. The person who has the name on the reservation will have to be there when they are assigned at the beach.

So, just make sure you show up at the same time to get the loungers together, and if you want to pick your 'prime' spot, the earlier you show up the better. The clam shells are only on Adrenaline Beach, which is not the best swimming beach on Labadee - but it is under the zip line and by the swim up bar. And everything is close enough that if you need to walk or take the tram somewhere it does not take long at all. Have Fun!

Thank you...that's what I needed to know.

My understanding is that you will get the loungers once you arrive on the beach - there is not a way to reserve a specific lounger ahead of time. So, if you want all three couples to be together, you should arrive together. Once you have them, they are yours for the day and you can leave to go to other areas of Labadee and come back. I don't see any real advantage of putting them all on one reservation, unless one person is going to pay for them all. The person who has the name on the reservation will have to be there when they are assigned at the beach.

So, just make sure you show up at the same time to get the loungers together, and if you want to pick your 'prime' spot, the earlier you show up the better. The clam shells are only on Adrenaline Beach, which is not the best swimming beach on Labadee - but it is under the zip line and by the swim up bar. And everything is close enough that if you need to walk or take the tram somewhere it does not take long at all. Have Fun!