Baltic cruise- is a balcony worth the extra money?

jennywren57

We are planning a Baltic cruise for June 2018 and are wondering whether to go for an outside or balcony cabin. We loved the balcony in the Caribbean but hardly used it in New Zealand. Not having cruised the Baltic before, I would be grateful for any advice .

Many thanks.

Jennywren 57

You almost-certainly won't use it anything like as much as in the Caribbean.

But that may well be taken into account in the price difference compared to ocean-view.

We had a balcony for the Baltic with P&O in May because the price difference was quite low, and glad we did.

For instance the sail in / out of Stockholm thro the archipelago of islands, one of the best sail-ins in the world.

And evenings will be light 'til late.

But of course the weather in the Baltic is very much a matter of luck.

Use your own judgement & wishes compared to the price difference

JB :)

I have a simple view on this.

If a balcony is within your budget it is nice to have but my experience is that because of the weather many people on this cruise don't use it like you would in warm weather.

However, if it puts a strain on your budget and would even cut back on excursions you arrange I would not consider it.

Keith

We used our verandahs a lot on our Baltic cruises. We loved being able to dash out there as we approached the various ports and watching as we left the ports - cocktail in hand.

We had some days that were warm enough to sit out there with a jacket and people watch when we got back from an excursion.

To us, it is worth the extra money.

Only you can decide if it is worth the extra cost.

Always a balcony...just having the option of that quiet private outdoor space is of value to me.

Some of the best views we have had were from our corner aft balcony on our Baltic cruise...Oh that sail into/out of Stockholm was incredible :')

We always get a balcony cabin, no matter where or what time of the year. Even if too cold to use, the large door/window allows natural light in and makes the room look larger. We cruise in large part because we are on a ship sailing on water. Having a view of that water while relaxing in our room is one of the best aspects of being on a ship. Plus, we are never forced out of our room in order to enjoy the views outside.

For example, in Alaska we enjoyed watching whales breaching to see what was passing them by, or the landscape of a narrow fjord passing by our window, or beautiful sunsets or the gray wall of approaching rain, all while relaxing in the privacy and quiet of our room. In the Caribbean we watched flying fish throw themselves out of the water and skim the tops of the waves as they escaped away from our intrusion. Or opening the door and listening to the sounds of the ship splashing through the waves while getting ready for dinner.

Can't enjoy that in a windowless inside cabin.

Edited by sloopsailor

For instance the sail in / out of Stockholm thro the archipelago of islands, one of the best sail-ins in the world.

And evenings will be light 'til late.

JB :)

OP - If you are lucky enough to have Oslo on your itinerary that is also a lovely sail in/out (and a great port to DIY with lots to see)..

Sailed the Baltic last June in an inside, two of our 4 sea days were rainy and cold. This is also a very port intensive itinerary, I would use my money for tours instead of a balcony IMHO. You can see the sail away just fine from a lounge. Of coarse it depends on cost and person preference. We have sailed in everything from a suite to an inside on deck two, and move back and forth freely depending on price and itinerary. Whatever room you choose a Baltic cruise is awesome.

We had an ocean view for our Baltic cruise and did not miss the balcony. It was July and cold when sailing. There were some days in port that were warm so a balcony would have been pleasant to have then, but we were off the ship then anyway. The pool deck also was seldom used on our Baltic cruise. The Solarium was the place to be. I like to walk on deck to get fresh air and the view but froze when we were sailing. I have pictures of myself bundled head to toe. Once the ship was in port we were comfortable off the ship for our excursions, but on board we stayed mostly inside.

Depending on time of year, sun comes up very early and set very late. Might be a good place for an inside cabin. LOL :D

And always having to turn the light on...too much like my walkin closet. Even though I love it, I certainly wouldn't want to sleep in there for a week or more. ;)

And always having to turn the light on...too much like my walking closet. Even though I love it, I certainly wouldn't want to sleep in there for a week or more. ;)

Agreed. That is why we would never book an inside cabin. The lack of natural light is a deal breaker for us. We're humans, after all, not bats. :')