Directionally Challenged

maw311

Ok, so here goes it....I STINK at direction, basically I know where the sun rises and sets.

How do you get acclimated on a ship? The last cruise I was on, I spent so much time getting lost trying to find things/venues

Not wanting to be made fun of, but I really am challenged. Any advise. ??

Going on Brilliance next week.

Thank you so much.

I orient myself by knowing where the bow is in relation to wherever I am at that moment. When facing forward to bow, left is port and when facing the bow, right is starboard. Always figure out where the bow is and you should be able to wok from there.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

I am great with maps but I too have trouble with directions.

When we are on a ship for the first time I take a map with me and also make use of the diagrams on the wall often found near the elevator. If the ship is large it might take me a few days to get it all down such as when we sailed the Queen Mary 2 or years ago the Grand Princess. If the ship is much smaller I can learn it faster.

Keith

Maybe ask on the RCCL board about how good the signage is onboard. More and more ships have computer screens in key locations, elevators have directions for things forward (pointy end) and aft (back end) as well as up and down. try to print maps larger than the compact ones provided on board. Then highlight the key places and when you go there, look at what is around and close by. How's your visual recall? Take photos with your phone and label them as to shops, restaurants, etc....and I guess one can go to the extent of your own videos in transit. It might work that familiar routines work better than looking on a piece of paper.

for orientation, once underway, stand still and see if you can feel what direction the ship is moving in. 95% of the time, that will be the direction of the pointy end.

Not sure if this still holds true, and I don't remember which line it was on, but if you looked at the fish on the floor (carpeting) in the hallways, they were all swimming toward the front of the ship. Wish so many refurbs these days, the days of something simple like that may be long gone.

Takes me awhile too, which is why I'm really looking forward to my first cruise with NCL...at least on Jade, passageway carpeting has fish pattern, and all fish swim towards bow 😊

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Yes, we noticed this on Jade, but are the carpets still the same? We used to follow carpets on Azura which had branches pointing to the prow, but I heard they'd been changed.

Some ships have the lifts all pointing forward, and different coloured carpets so you know if you're in the middle, aft, front lifts, and which way you're facing.

Shouldn't take more than a day or two. Plenty of windows so you can tell what direction your going. Some ships coridors are color coded for port (left) starboard (right). Worse comes to worse, your on a ship, you can't really get lost

Not sure if this still holds true, and I don't remember which line it was on, but if you looked at the fish on the floor (carpeting) in the hallways, they were all swimming toward the front of the ship. Wish so many refurbs these days, the days of something simple like that may be long gone.

NCL Dawn had such fish on the carpeting in long hallways.

My problem is not so much on the public decks, but the room floors. On Holland America, the room numbers get smaller as you go toward the bow (front) AND the odd number rooms are on the right (as you face forward) / starboard. So the evens are on the port / left side (note: even, port, left: four letters; odd, right, starboard: odd number of letters). This actually helps. But I don't know if other lines use different systems.

I always have to orient myself once stepping off the elevators. I often wish the sleeping decks had a distinctive painting on the wall so I would know which picture to head for when exiting the elevator! I now try to get my cabin near the Hideaway on Celebrity because then I know where my cabin is In relationship to where the coffee maker is!

I’ve always found that room stewards also are quick to provide the ship specific directional visual aid that they use to get their bearings.

I get lost on a ship, usually heading off to the wrong side on cabin floors....but outside I have a great sense of direction.

Thank you all the advice and not making me feel like a dummy!!

I think I am most nervous because of my 80 year old mother, she feels anxious when not finding her way.

Keep in mind, if you have trouble finding a location on the ship, tthere is always someone around to ask, or pick up a house phone and the desk will be able to help. I don't know for sure but think it probable any house phone 's locaftion is identified, to the offic e. They will know where y ou are and how to get where you wish to go.

Thank you all the advice and not making me feel like a dummy!!

I think I am most nervous because of my 80 year old mother, she feels anxious when not finding her way.

All of this is very understandable.

Should she be out and about on her own I would just suggest that if in doubt which way to go she ask a crew member of even a fellow passenger.

Keith

Ok, so here goes it....I STINK at direction, basically I know where the sun rises and sets.

How do you get acclimated on a ship? The last cruise I was on, I spent so much time getting lost trying to find things/venues

Not wanting to be made fun of, but I really am challenged. Any advise. ??

Going on Brilliance next week.

Here's an easy reference that's specific to Brilliance, and most RCI ships. At all the elevator banks, there is a model plexiglass ship with a "you are here" symbol. The model ship always faces forward....meaning the bow points forward and the stern points aft.