Maui Pineapple Plantation Tour

Liv4Beach

My wife and I took the tour in November 2016. We were not on a cruise and booked it online during our Maui vacation. We have been on six cruises to Hawaii but did not take this tour while on a cruise. You can check out their website for additional information. We did the tour the day before flying back home so we could take the fresh pineapple home with us on the plane. Not an option if on a cruise.

The pineapple business in Hawaii is virtually gone. My first tour of the Maui Pineapple plantation was about 25 years ago when I was an executive for a large grocery company that purchased tons of Maui pineapple every year. The current operation is just a shadow of what it was back then.

The tour stops at several fields in different stages of production. When you get to the fields that are ready for harvest, everyone gets off the bus and you can sample fresh picked ripe pineapple. Fresh ripe pineapple is the BEST! I think you will enjoy the tour and they give you one pineapple per person in a shipping box when you finish the tour. You can also purchase more if you want. Do it before this last holdout vanishes, too. We would do it again.

A couple of tips --- If on a cruise, the plantation is quite a distance from Lahaina, not so far from Kahului. If you have to rent a car, give yourself plenty of time to get the car, travel there, take the tour, travel back and return the car and get back to the ship. There is no dock in Lahaina so you have to tender (long lines) and there is only one road that can be a traffic nightmare. If it rains or is raining, the tour travels on red dirt agricultural roads so the ride is rough and you are going to get muddy. If it is clear and sunny, the ride is still rough but the views are fantastic.

Hope this helps,

tallfir

tallfir, What helpful information!

We aren't headed to Maui ourselves, but have wonderful memories of previous visits (once via cruise ship and once via airplane).

In 2013, we docked and found the car rental was only a couple blocks from the ship---a very easy walk. We arranged the rental months in advance via the internet and paid less than for two people on a tour. Really enjoyed scenery as we drove to the beach. (Did a pineapple tour in '84 on a different island---it was interesting.)

It is such a beautiful island! Have a wonderful day there, Liv4Beach!

We did tour with ship last October. The tour bus drops you at plantation house-gift shop for restroom break. The tour guide for farm picks you there. We must have eaten a pineapple each on tour. These are grown to be eaten shortly after being harvested. It a lot like home grown tomato vs the plastics ones grown to be shipped. We did not stop at either the winery or the general store on ship tour. They will give you discount card to mail order fruit when you get home. We had some shipped for Xmas, not cheap but very good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also did this tour when we were staying on Maui in May and loved it. They give you samples of pineapple that is so sweet and juicy, nothing like the stuff we get in NJ at the supermarket lol. It is also very interesting and educational. I highly recommend it. :cool:

I think you will enjoy the tour and they give you one pineapple per person in a shipping box when you finish the tour.

Many countries have restrictions to let in fruits, vegetables, soil, etc.

My question: can you take the pineapple to Canada if it comes from Hawaii?

Then enter the USA from Canada?

We are on a B2B2B Vancouver-Hawaii-Vancouver-Los Angeles, will like to do this tour to the pineapple farm

Many countries have restrictions to let in fruits, vegetables, soil, etc.

My question: can you take the pineapple gift to Vancouver, Canada?

Then again enter the USA from Canada?

Theoretically the pineapple would not get off the ship but I don't want a surprise at Canadian and USA Customs/immigration