Train from Seward to ANC or ANC to Denali!?

laurabegorrah

So I'm planning my post cruise time in Alaska this coming August. We are going northbound from Vancouver to Seward. We want to do a train trip, and I can't decide if I want to do the train from Seward to Anchorage and then drive to Denali. Or drive Seward to Anchorage and then train to Denali. I guess there is also the option of doing both trains, but we are only planning 5 days for the post cruise, and we can get more done driving at least one of these routes lol

Which is the more scenic route, Denali or Seward? I know the Seward train leaves at 6pm, but I'm pretty sure we will have good day light all the way through to Anchorage at 10pm.

I would do the train from Seward to Anchorage and then rent a car to get to Denali. The scenery between Seward and Anchorage is absolutely GORGEOUS! There's great scenery too between Anchorage and Denali, but there are also little pullouts that you can stop in and take advantage of. We did a land tour prior to our Southbound cruise and made the drive up to Denali. We stopped in Talkeetna for lunch and for my oldest son to take a flying lesson. Then we stopped at a pullout on the way to Denali to actually see the mountain in all her glory! It was fabulous! It was great being able to stop and get pictures of any of the scenery that interested us along the way. We got some great pictures.

I have a question. Where does one find booking info for the Seward to Anchorage train? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Alaska Railroad website is a great place to start (http://www.alaskarailroad.com) as it outlines their route schedule. But also be aware that there are some cruise-contracted runs which you would book through your cruise line.

But just another comment about renting a car in the Denali area -- having a car will open the range of accommodations and dining options. No need to restrict hotel/cabin accommodations to the "glitter gulch" (area outside the entrance to Denali National Park).

The Alaska Railroad website is a great place to start (http://www.alaskarailroad.com) as it outlines their route schedule. But also be aware that there are some cruise-contracted runs which you would book through your cruise line.

But just another comment about renting a car in the Denali area -- having a car will open the range of accommodations and dining options. No need to restrict hotel/cabin accommodations to the "glitter gulch" (area outside the entrance to Denali National Park).

Thank you. I will check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums