Top Tip for the Haven - Be aware of the Tips

lhorne

We recently had an amazing time on the NCL Getaway. The Haven was amazing, along with the food and staff. The only thing that put a damper on the holiday (well, with the exception of all the rain!!!), was the tipping at the end. I pre-paid my tips, which were more than average due to the room type we had booked. The day before we were scheduled to leave, we were told by the Haven staff that our tips did not go towards the lovely people who were serving us all week within the Haven - and that they were distributed to the rest of the staff on board. :o

What? total bummer as we hardly spent much time outside of the Haven and did tip additional in the speciality restaurants when we dine with the commoners (LOL kidding!). Not knowing this ahead of time also was a bit problematic as I had not enough 'cash' and needed to decide who would get what. The staff were all amazing and it just made me feel awkward on the last day. Not a good way to end the holiday.

Anyways, I put a little video together on youtube on my great experience in the Haven so if you are interested in watching, you can search it on Youtube (leslieloo on food & travel) or the link if this works. :D

The only Haven staff not included are the Butler and Concierge. The remainder of the Haven staff is included in the DSC. With that being said, we tip our room steward additionally at the end.

Thanks so much for clarifying the tips thing - I must have misunderstood but good to know!!!

We got an incredible deal on the Haven. It was the end of season and so cold so think they were selling off these rooms cheap! Only about $1000 more than paying for a standard room, which was worth it. Top tip, try to get friends in other countries to look up regional offers. My mom bought this cruise from the US website, and the offers and deals were much better than what they were asking for the same cruise via the UK NCL site, especially with this current issues around UK currency/Brexit.

We recently had an amazing time on the NCL Getaway. The Haven was amazing, along with the food and staff. The only thing that put a damper on the holiday (well, with the exception of all the rain!!!), was the tipping at the end. I pre-paid my tips, which were more than average due to the room type we had booked. The day before we were scheduled to leave, we were told by the Haven staff that our tips did not go towards the lovely people who were serving us all week within the Haven - and that they were distributed to the rest of the staff on board. :o

What? total bummer as we hardly spent much time outside of the Haven and did tip additional in the speciality restaurants when we dine with the commoners (LOL kidding!). Not knowing this ahead of time also was a bit problematic as I had not enough 'cash' and needed to decide who would get what. The staff were all amazing and it just made me feel awkward on the last day. Not a good way to end the holiday.

Anyways, I put a little video together on youtube on my great experience in the Haven so if you are interested in watching, you can search it on Youtube (leslieloo on food & travel) or the link if this works. :D

I would assume everyone knows the butler and conceigne are not included in the tipping pool and need to be tipped separately, but that is up to the individual and how much they feel is acceptable. Anything is appreciated, if the person gave you great service. It is like, only more is expected, when you have a good cabin steward in a regular cabin, most leave him or her a little extra at the end. My only problem with your posting is, I think the haven staff was out of line telling you to tip extra. Your comments about already tipping is true, but you were giving a DSC, not quite the same as a regular tip. It was your choice to spend almost all your time in the Haven.

Hi everybody - I wish to edit my post with the correction (that it's just the concierge and butler not included in the tips) but the forum will not allow me to do this. So, just want to thank everyone for clarifying and that other's see this. We did tip the staff in addition to the pre-paid tips because they were all so amazing and at your beck and call 24-7. Just lovely people and can't wait to go back.

I would assume everyone knows the butler and conceigne are not included in the tipping pool and need to be tipped separately, but that is up to the individual and how much they feel is acceptable.
I would think that folks would know that the Butler and Concierge are not included in the DSC, but now I'm wondering if all folks do. I knew because (1) I read the FAQ and (2) read it here on Cruise Critic, before my first cruise in a suite. It might be wise of NCL to put something in writing to the suite guests, so not to put the Butler/Concierge or passenger in an embarrassing situation of the Butler/Concierge to say something or the passenger not knowing, thus not tipping.

It might be wise of NCL to put something in writing to the suite guests, so not to put the Butler/Concierge or passenger in an embarrassing situation of the Butler/Concierge to say something or the passenger not knowing, thus not tipping.

If a suite guest is going to ignore the information that is already available (FAQ, for ex), that same guest is going to ignore any additional information that NCL would provide.

"Why does my free promo cost over $100pp" - didn't read the Terms & Conditions of the promo.

"Why isn't the butler a part of the DSC?" - didn't read the FAQ about Money Matters.

If a suite guest is going to ignore the information that is already available (FAQ, for ex), that same guest is going to ignore any additional information that NCL would provide.

"Why does my free promo cost over $100pp" - didn't read the Terms & Conditions of the promo.

"Why isn't the butler a part of the DSC?" - didn't read the FAQ about Money Matters.

You could be right!

I would think that folks would know that the Butler and Concierge are not included in the DSC, but now I'm wondering if all folks do. I knew because (1) I read the FAQ and (2) read it here on Cruise Critic, before my first cruise in a suite. It might be wise of NCL to put something in writing to the suite guests, so not to put the Butler/Concierge or passenger in an embarrassing situation of the Butler/Concierge to say something or the passenger not knowing, thus not tipping.

To add to the confusion..many do not cruise more than once every 2-3 years. Constant changes to DSC and others policies are sometimes hard to follow. 2 years ago, after an increase in DSC, the amount for Suites was increased to more than standard cabins. NCL’s own statement explaining why amount was larger for Suites, made it worse. It plainly stated that because Suite guests have the services of a Butler and concierge, their DSC is higher.

Then butlers complained and NCL back peddled on explanation .

Many current cruisers are older and do not spend time on the internet, doing research. I suspect they are surprised when they find out what has changed. IMHO

• Like 1

Maybe the NCL employee advised as from the posts that OP could be from UK and tipping isn’t as customary as it is in the US? Granted when I was on the Gem I made sure I knew who was and wasn’t included, no one mentioned it to us but wouldn’t taken offence

We stayed in the Owners Suite and saw our butler twice. Would you like to guess how much we tipped him?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only thing we got was a daily plate of crappy snacks dropped off by the butler from the cart she wheeled down the hallway.

We gave her the big old goose egg. Zero!

Have a great cruise wherever the ship takes you!

The only thing we got was a daily plate of crappy snacks dropped off by the butler from the cart she wheeled down the hallway.

We gave her the big old goose egg. Zero!

Have a great cruise wherever the ship takes you!

Did you ask her for anything and it was not done? Did you request specific snacks and they were not delivered? Providing “crappy snacks” is a big part of the job.

Did you ask her for anything and it was not done? Did you request specific snacks and they were not delivered? Providing “crappy snacks” is a big part of the job.

No. Only spoke to her once in embarkation day. She just showed us how the coffee maker worked. Really she said it’s too complicated for the specialty drinks and just showed us how to use it like a kurig.

No. Only spoke to her once in embarkation day. She just showed us how the coffee maker worked. Really she said it’s too complicated for the specialty drinks and just showed us how to use it like a kurig.

IMO, you should have told the butler what you did or didn't want to be delivered as an afternoon snack. If the butler doesn't hear anything (good or bad), the butler will just deliver whatever is on the schedule.