Galveston/Houston Hotel

cdhstang

We are booked on Carnival Vista in September. I am looking in to hotels for the night before. It seems almost all the hotels are already sold out. So that has me looking into Houston. How will traffic be in the morning coming from there? I would much rather stay in Galveston so is it a possibility that some hotels have not published their rates yet since we are almost a year out?

We are booked on Carnival Vista in September. I am looking in to hotels for the night before. It seems almost all the hotels are already sold out. So that has me looking into Houston. How will traffic be in the morning coming from there? I would much rather stay in Galveston so is it a possibility that some hotels have not published their rates yet since we are almost a year out?

That is quite possible. I'm not expert on Galveston. We are going on our first cruise from there in April. I had a heck of a time finding a hotel in Galveston that fit our budget. Either it was too expensive in my opinion or they required two nights. I finally did find a one night stay at the Days Inn Seawall blvd. It was a good price. We booked it in May so eleven months before cruise. The reviews aren't that great for one it's away from the restaurant area but it's only one night. We can take a cab to eat, there are a few restaurants within walking distance. It's a tough port to leave out of for sure, probably our only time we will do it. Good luck.

Galveston has many special events, which tend to not only fill hotels, but also can make the prices jump x2, even 3x. Having said that (and without checking the events calendar) I suggest you continue to check. Usually something will open up.

We have stayed in south Houston a number of times pre-cruise. It's not a problem at all getting to Galveston, the drive is about 30-45 min (all interstate). I suggest you consider the Webster / League City area. A number of inexpensive hotels right off I-20, with restaurants and shopping

For our upcoming cruise in January, we're staying at the Courtyard by Marriott NASA/Clear Lake. We'll get down there the day before the cruise to go to the Space Center(it's been a few years since we've been there). Now the best part of the hotel is that it's free using our Marriott points!!!

For our upcoming cruise in January, we're staying at the Courtyard by Marriott NASA/Clear Lake. We'll get down there the day before the cruise to go to the Space Center(it's been a few years since we've been there). Now the best part of the hotel is that it's free using our Marriott points!!!

Right now we are booked at the Hilton NASA/Clear Lake. But are also Marriott members so that could be an option too. How do you plan on getting to the cruise terminal? Do you know if any of the NASA area hotels offer a shuttle service? Thank you!

There is a new Homewood suites at the end of Sea Wall Blvd that only makes you book one night and is reasonably priced. Being a HHonors member also helps with the price a little.

Thank you! I'll look into that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's the area I stayed in before my cruise. It was half the price of Galveston hotels and a nice easy drive to the port in the morning.

Right now we are booked at the Hilton NASA/Clear Lake. But are also Marriott members so that could be an option too. How do you plan on getting to the cruise terminal? Do you know if any of the NASA area hotels offer a shuttle service? Thank you!

We plan on just driving down to the port the next morning and parking at Park n Cruise. I don't think it's more than a 40 minute drive and hopefully there won't be too much traffic on I-45 early on a Saturday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

We have twice stayed at the Hampton Inn on Galveston. They tend to have rooms available even when the other Hilton branded hotels are full, and they will even release them for pretty favorable Hilton Hhonors rates if you participate in that program. It isn't the fanciest place, but it worked out well for us.

There is a new Homewood suites at the end of Sea Wall Blvd that only makes you book one night and is reasonably priced. Being a HHonors member also helps with the price a little.

Wow, $200 doesn't strike me as "reasonably priced." So, maybe I'm cheap. But that is in the "going rate" category in Galveston, I'm afraid.

I don't know if anyone mentioned the Kemah area. If you're driving in from the east side of Houston, highway 146 is a shortcut down to Galveston, and there are some hotels in the area well below $100.

Our choice may not work for your circumstances, but since we have a 9-10 hour drive to Galveston we have been traveling the the day before and staying in the Woodlands/Spring area. It does leave a longer drive to the port, but we feel like we are better rested for the last leg of the drive.

Our choice may not work for your circumstances, but since we have a 9-10 hour drive to Galveston we have been traveling the the day before and staying in the Woodlands/Spring area. It does leave a longer drive to the port, but we feel like we are better rested for the last leg of the drive.

We do the same, but always stay on the OTHER side of Houston (the south side). Avoids the Houston morning rush hour traffic... even on weekends, trying to get through Houston can be a challenge :)

• 1 month later...

Last month, I stayed a night in LaPorte before boarding a ship the next day.

The hotel I chose was the Comfort Suites, right off 146, about 45 minutes straight down the road from Galveston.

Really had a pleasant stay, including a nice breakfast, and it was about $90. I'd definitely stay there again.