Bay of Biscay in April/May?

Extra Kim

Certainly as a rule it's much much more likely October through March.

And even then much more often calm than rough.

But it's a risk any time of the year, because BoB doesn't always follow the rules.

A chance you take.

I've happily taken that chance in May, and it was fine.

But I wouldn't take that chance in the winter.

JB :)

Please remember that history means nothing if the rough seas occur on your voyage.

In 2014 sailing off the Mediterranean in May we got his with a rogue wave blowing out some windows on one of the lower decks.

Not something we expected.

Keith

I know that I spelled it wrong but a lot of people seem to have missed "usually".

I live by the Baltic sea, I KNOW that you can encounter bad weather every day of the year. But I also know that the odds of doing it depends on the season. That's why I asked.

We usually sail out and back from the UK, so I think we must have crossed the BOb in every month. If it's rough, then it's the only time my Oh has to take a pill, and we can remember three times only. The worst was in August. We've even had a cruise which was completely in the BOB, round Spain and France, and it was a mill pond.

Went on the Indy around there in late May 2016...didn't feel a thing! We had some rain and sun and it was light jacket/just a jumper weather for sure.

Then again, the Indy is a behemoth so that probably helped.

See my previous post #7. Independence took a huge beating a couple of times in the Bay - you just never know.

We found Indy to be a very stable ship, and she makes frequent crossings through theBOB all summer, without much trouble... her size seems to be an asset.

Any ship might run into rough seas- we've crossed the Atlantic four times on Ventura, including the BOB each time, without problems, but there's a Daily Mail video of Ventura in the BOB this December with plates flying, and forum friends have shown pictures of shopping displays on the floor... you can never tell...

We found Indy to be a very stable ship, and she makes frequent crossings through theBOB all summer, without much trouble... her size seems to be an asset.

Any ship might run into rough seas- we've crossed the Atlantic four times on Ventura, including the BOB each time, without problems, but there's a Daily Mail video of Ventura in the BOB this December with plates flying, and forum friends have shown pictures of shopping displays on the floor... you can never tell...

It helps if you are in a ship designed for 'sailing', rather than 'cruising', and therefore has a proper keel, such as P&O's Arcadia. Makes a huge difference, as we found out during a force 11 gale in the Bob in December. My wine never spilt at all!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Good that you booked today, Kim.:)

But also good that you didn't sail today, cos BoB is cutting up rough.:eek:

Which kinda figures, cos BoB gets bad-tempered much more often at this time of year.

You don't need good luck for May.

You just need to avoid bad luck. ;)

Happy sailings

JB :)

Well this will be our first cruise as parents. We do have another cruise booked in September, with my wifes mom and her man. Our thought was that it would be nice to have some support on our first cruise with our baby. Well this new cruise changed that ;p