Epic 2/3/18 partially chartered group may close Spice H20 for Super Bowl

lostone65

I just discovered today that our cruise is partially chartered by an Irish musical festival. The person who told me is part of the group and said there are over 70 performers and they hold private musical events all over the ship, mostly in smaller venues that are not normally used at the times they use them. However she stated that Super Bowl last year on the Escape this same group held a private event in Spice H20 during the Super Bowl and didn't open it up to the public until the 4th quarter.

This will be our second time on the Epic, when we were last on her it was during the NFL playoffs and they had games playing in O'Sheehan's (it was very crowded), the Atrium (also crowded), and in Spice H20 (crowded but not uncomfortable). I am concerned that if they close Spice H20 during the Super Bowl there won't be enough space for everyone to watch the game without being shoulder to shoulder. Considering the Super Bowl is a major event it seems rather unfair to the rest of the passengers to close a large venue to the entire ship for a chartered event. The Epic has many smaller spaces, unlike the Escape that has larger spaces and additional TV venues like District Brewhouse for example.

Does anyone have experience with watching the Super Bowl on the Epic and other places they may show the game? Am I forgetting a venue?

The TV in your cabin?

We are a group of 9 family members who enjoy each others company and would like to enjoy the game with each other and other cruisers. The Super Bowl is a fun event and we are not the stay in your cabin type of people. Obviously staying in the cabin is an option for people, but not for us.

We are a group of 9 family members who enjoy each others company and would like to enjoy the game with each other and other cruisers. The Super Bowl is a fun event and we are not the stay in your cabin type of people. Obviously staying in the cabin is an option for people, but not for us.

Wow I would hope they would have some Super Bowl parties happening for the passengers.

We were with this Irish group on the escape last year ( nice group of peeps). But I will say many, many pasengers weren't happy that a public space was closed off for a private event, specially during such a huge sporting event. And yes, for some of us, specially being Pats fans the super bowl is actually a big event that we like to watch together and not stuck in a cabin lol.

They did play the game on the pool deck on a huge screen and that opened up a lot of area for people which was nice.

#firstworldproblems

If a silly football game is *that* important, people should stay home so they are not inconvenienced.

Very helpful. Would love to see your reaction if something you enjoyed was cut off because a private group had closed the venue. Just because the event isn't significant to you does not entitle you to look down your nose at the millions and millions who feel it is. #SnobProblems

Edited by Doug R.

Best advice is to get your group together and park at the bar early. You have enough people to safely rotate bathroom breaks without being crowded out. Where we live, we have to get to bars at least 60-90 minutes before kickoff to get seats when our team is not on broadcast channels so this is no different.

We were with this Irish group on the escape last year ( nice group of peeps). But I will say many, many pasengers weren't happy that a public space was closed off for a private event, specially during such a huge sporting event. And yes, for some of us, specially being Pats fans the super bowl is actually a big event that we like to watch together and not stuck in a cabin lol.

They did play the game on the pool deck on a huge screen and that opened up a lot of area for people which was nice.

The pool deck will help alot, the Escape is bigger with bigger spaces, that is why I am worried about the Epic the spaces are smaller and more compact than on the Escape. Thank you for the feedback.

Getting 9 seats together will be hard. A couple of people will have to give up their beach day and hold seats starting early in the morning until the game starts in the evening.

Since the day is GSC there is always a chance we will miss the port and it will be another sea day so that will make it easier.

That was my reaction also, that person's response is the reason why I rarely start a thread. So many snarky people on this forum.

I guess I didn't see it that way. We've watched our team in the playoffs on NCL in our room. Last time it was just DW and I and we enjoyed being able to spend time together that we rarely get to do at home.

Very helpful. Would love to see your reaction if something you enjoyed was cut off because a private group had closed the venue. Just because the event isn't significant to you does not entitle you to look down your nose at the millions and millions who feel it is. #SnobProblems

This forum has so many people who hide behind their keyboards and reply with rude comments all the time. I can only imagine the type of person he/she is in real life. Love the hashtag #Snobproblems!

Best advice is to get your group together and park at the bar early. You have enough people to safely rotate bathroom breaks without being crowded out. Where we live, we have to get to bars at least 60-90 minutes before kickoff to get seats when our team is not on broadcast channels so this is no different.

I heard that last year on the Escape people began saving seats at noon! That is 6 hours ahead of time and I can tell you we won't be doing that. hahaha. None of us will even have a team in the Super Bowl this year, bu are looking forward to enjoying the game with others and having fun.

This forum has so many people who hide behind their keyboards and reply with rude comments all the time. I can only imagine the type of person he/she is in real life. Love the hashtag #Snobproblems!

They must not have anything better to do. Sad. Anyway, I hope you get to see the Super Bowl on a big screen! Have fun. We are sailing right after you on the Epic. 😁

They must not have anything better to do. Sad. Anyway, I hope you get to see the Super Bowl on a big screen! Have fun. We are sailing right after you on the Epic. 😁

Thanks! We will try to keep the ship in top shape for you!

#firstworldproblems

If a silly football game is *that* important, people should stay home so they are not inconvenienced.

What an uninformed comment. I can assure you the UK FA Cup is more important to me (if my team are in it and if I am not there I want to watch it with others)

No NCL should actually think that the cruise is for everybody not just the charters. we were on a ship where an area was closed and a large group of non charters refused to move even after security begged them as the charter group had been promised the area. So ask NCL what their plans are.

I heard that last year on the Escape people began saving seats at noon! That is 6 hours ahead of time and I can tell you we won't be doing that. hahaha. None of us will even have a team in the Super Bowl this year, bu are looking forward to enjoying the game with others and having fun.

That's a true sports fan!

What an uninformed comment. I can assure you the UK FA Cup is more important to me (if my team are in it and if I am not there I want to watch it with others)

No NCL should actually think that the cruise is for everybody not just the charters. we were on a ship where an area was closed and a large group of non charters refused to move even after security begged them as the charter group had been promised the area. So ask NCL what their plans are.

Watching sporting events with many people is part of the fun! And on a cruise ship with so many people from so man different areas makes it even more enjoyable I think.

I did reach out to NCL yesterday and they have no idea as the schedule has not been put out yet. I understand that the chartered guests have paid more money to be able to participate in their own events, however those private events should not inconvenience other passengers and lock them out of normal advertised open public spaces. We paid the cruise fare that should entitle us to using all the normal venue areas that NCL advertises as public spaces. I can see the chartered groups using the specialty restaurants when it isn't meal time, or the theater during the day, places like that. I guess we will see what happens.