Room service etiquette - What do we do with tray/plates when done? Standard cabin?

UmaDaughterOfUrsula

For Standard cabin NOT suite, aqua or concierge.

Not that I'll use it but parents might so I'll ask - What does one do with the plates/tray after we're done? Seems in many hotels people leave it on the floor in the hall but I'm thinking the halls on ships are tighter so that shouldn't be done as they'd be in the way more.

Leave it in cabin for the room steward? or call to have it collected?

Also Tips for room service is cash correct?

We generally leave the dishes in the room or on the balcony where we have breakfast and our steward clears them when cleaning the room. Cash is always correct for tips. Most times you'll have to run after the attendant that brings the room service as they are in and out so quickly. We've never seen one linger as they do when delivering room service at a hotel.

I've been told to leave them in the hall. Then call room service and one of the room service waiters will pick them up.
Please leave the trays in your cabin and not the hall. Room service/housekeeping will be happy to retrieve them from your room, if you give them a call. You can also just call your room steward who will also take the trays away.

They would prefer you not to do this.

Phil

If housekeeping has not picked up your trays before you want to leave, just leave them in the cabin and your room steward will take care of it....just call them. They much prefer that you do this rather than putting the tray in the hall.

Phil

This is not meant as an argument, just as a point of information. How do you know? We try to be polite and considerate guests and don't want to ruffle feathers or take advantage, and certainly don't want to be rude. If leaving the dishes for our attendant is incorrect we'd like to know. Also, we leave the dish with the afternoon canapes for our attendant to take when he/she does the nightly turn-down.

This is not meant as an argument, just as a point of information. How do you know? We try to be polite and considerate guests and don't want to ruffle feathers or take advantage, and certainly don't want to be rude. If leaving the dishes for our attendant is incorrect we'd like to know. Also, we leave the dish with the afternoon canapes for our attendant to take when he/she does the nightly turn-down.

Because that is what I've been told. The room attendants prefer not to have to deal with trays and dishes before cleaning the room.

Phil

My first choice would be if a scooter is left in the hallway every night and maybe run over people and things (with the exception of fake service dogs) is to leave tray and plates on the scooter seat.

Then call security and have everything removed.

PS. DW sometimes has to use a wheelchair onboard, which is always stored in the cabin, overnight

Either call to have them picked up or simply leave them for your cabin attendant. Trays in the hallway make it extremely difficult for those in wheelchairs or with other mobility issues to navigate.

Phil

Which is why my first recommendation was to call, but leaving them for your attendant is still a better choice than placing them in the hallway.

I was walking out with some plates to return to the buffet (couldn’t find a table for breakfast so we dined on our balcony) . My attendant seen me with them and said that he would take care of it and to leave them in my cabin.

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅