Celebrity now charging for non returned beach towels

chamima

Someone posted this Today from a current Eclipse cruise.

b8abccf05b7849fe5607e0b7db04749d.jpg

Note the Beach Towels in your stateroom post.

In the past we've left wet, sandy beach towels in a bin as we get on the ship.

Guess we'll have to take them back to the stateroom from now on.

Just went through old paperwork, pretty much same wording was on the Horizon in 95. Probably just a scare tactic.

We were just on the Summit in December and the Beach towels were yellow, whereas the pool towels were the gray/blueish ones. We brought the beach towels back to the room and our room attendant took care of them. If I'm remembering correctly our room attendant also noted to us the first day he put the yellow beach towels out that we needed to bring them back or there would be a charge. He said it in a very nice way.

When they left the yellow beach towels in our cabin earlier this month on Eclipse a note was attached saying a charge of $28 per towel if you failed to return them.

I've never seen this on any of our previous cruises but we've never been on the Eclipse. But I agree with the previous poster, those yellow towels will never leave the cabin. I'll do the same thing that I always do, collect towels from the pool the day before our shore excursions and return them to the pool. If there's a bin on the dock I'll leave them there.

We never had beach towels, yellow or otherwise, in our concierge class balcony cabin on our 9 night Silly cruise in Dec. All I saw were the blue towels on all the loungers in the solarium. Just happy to be on a cruise line that doesn't ask you to check out towels as RCI does.

Isn't it just so people don't leave the towels behind when they return to the ship? Celebrity wouldn't have gone to this if people hadn't been leaving them behind. The cost to replace them racks up and the next thing you know, somebody will post a rant about all the cutbacks Celebrity has made. They have to recoup their losses somehow and putting a price tag on the towels seems like a fair incentive to return them to me. I'd rather that they charge $28 than discontinue something that I really love...like, I don't know, chilled towels in the gym or lemon water in Persian Gardens. Just saying...

On Equinox lasst December, only had the gray pool towels offered to us when leaving the ship. Would have preferred a larger, thicker towel provided in our cabin. We always made sure to return our towels, but did wonder how many got lost.

are you allowed to take beach towels off the ship? we are on Solstice in March April and stopping at Airlie Beach (Qld Australia) fir the day - they have a man made lagoon that people can swim in and wife & I would like to go there, but no point if we can't take towels with us

Hi,

We are on the Eclipse at the moment on the 14 night Southern Caribbean. We have done this cruise in Jan for the past four years and each time we have had yellow beach towels left in the cabin with a note saying about a charge if not replaced so it’s not a new thing.

IMO I think Celebrity should charge people if they are too lazy to bring the towels back!!

We usually take the grey towels and always return them. At decent hotels on land you don't have to worry about signing towels out and don't recall ever seeing a sign at a decent hotel saying "return the towels or else ".

We usually take the grey towels and always return them. At decent hotels on land you don't have to worry about signing towels out and don't recall ever seeing a sign at a decent hotel saying "return the towels or else ".

In most cases, guests at decent hotels on land don't take the towels to beaches and just leave them there when they are finished. Unfortunately, cruise passengers do, at a significant cost to the cruise lines. This isn't a Celebrity issue, but one faced by all lines.

Muffinz,yes you can take the towels off the ship to the beach. You should have one per person in your cabin, left there the day before a port day by your cabin attendant. You do need to bring them back to the ship with you or you will be charges. Sometimes they have been the gray towels that are provided at the pool. Other times they have been a bigger, thicker yellow towel specifically to take to the beach.

We vacation every fall in a small Florida Gulf Coast beach town. There is a larger planned community next door with a beachside hotel. Just beyond the hotel/planned community’s beach is a pristine state park. This past fall when I went for an early am walk, I noticed all the blue striped beach towels in chairs in front of the hotel. Wwhen I got to the state park, I started collecting wet, slightly smelly blue striped beach towels that were half buried in the sand... I think I picked up 6or 8 towels from the state park beach. There are other reasons to try to get people to return towels to the ship.

Not that anyone on this forum would ever leave their towel

For a number of years we have had notes left in our stateroom the night before a beach type port indicating that if the beach towel wasn't returned to expect a charge. Is this anything new?

are you allowed to take beach towels off the ship? we are on Solstice in March April and stopping at Airlie Beach (Qld Australia) fir the day - they have a man made lagoon that people can swim in and wife & I would like to go there, but no point if we can't take towels with us

Muffinz: I am on the same cruise with you, but just wanted to comment that in addition to beach towels there will be a tote bag in the stateroom for your use on the cruise (and to take home if you so choose). The less expensive staterooms have a bag comparable to what is a re-usable shopping bag in North America, while the more expensive staterooms have a higher quality bag. So no need to pack a beach bag.

I'll bring all of my towels, yellow or blue, back to the ship. What I want to avoid are errors in Celebrity's record keeping with the towels. A couple of years ago I needed to wait in line at Guest Services prior to departure to settle my account because RCL didn't accurately keep track of the towels. My towels won't leave the cabin and I'll make sure the stateroom attendant is aware of the situation.

I don't recall beach towels left in your cabin on Solstice. Everybody normally grabs a pool towel from the attendant on the morning of going ashore for beach/lagoon use. If there is no drop off when you re board the ship simply return them to the pool attendant that same afternoon.

That is nothing new.