Caribbean or Mediterranean? What would you choose?

kuxiam

My husband an I have an opportunity to go on a longer cruise for our first time. Initially, we have been looking at 10 day Caribbean choices in March 2018. Now, as I was getting ready to book, on a whim I checked Mediterranean cruises, and found a relatively cheap 10 day itinerary leaving from Spain April 29. Most of the cruising would take place early May. Which would you pick and why? 10 day Caribbean in March or 10 day Mediterranean in April/March? Flight time for us is 7-9 hours to Fort Lauderdale or 14-18 hours to Barcelona. Do any of you have experience with weather in the Med late April/early May? If you've done both the Med and the Caribbean, which do you prefer? Thank you for your opinions!

Depends on what you want out of the cruise. We sail Caribbean cruises to relax and unwind. Med cruises are very port intensive, and most people want to see all the sights they can, which is the opposite of relaxing, but can be very interesting.

Med weather in early May should be pleasant.

We live in Australia so have never done the Caribbean (one day) but have done the Med. As mom says - it can be very port intensive, but you can manage this. As you have never been to the Caribbean i think it would also be intensive?

We loved the Med, so much to see and do, go to sleep in one place wake in another - foods, smells, sights. All rather glorious and exciting [emoji41]

Weather that time of year is also glorious, last months of spring [emoji255][emoji255]

My vote is for the Med but do enjoy wherever you choose [emoji568]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What are your interests? I just came back from my second cruise to the Caribbean. That was more than enough for me and I'll not likely go back. The islands are beautiful, but too hot and humid, my hubby's not a beach person, and I don't find there's enough of interest for us to do there. I was happy to get back to my cold Canadian winter.

We love cities and cooler temperatures. The Mediterranean is also beautiful but filled with cities and ruins and historical stuff, which is of more interest to us.

Neither one is better or worse. It just depends on what type of experience is better for you.

Why not do both, check out repo's or a transatlantic. As a example Royal Caribbean has a 15 day TA that leaves Florida in April visits 5 Caribbean islands and then has 10 seas days to Barcelona. There are also cruises that start in Copenhagen spend a week in Europe and then 8-10 days to Fll. or New York. One way airfare using the cruise lines flight programs are extremely cheap. We just booked one way Ca. to Barcelona Business class for 675.00 per person. Economy fares were all in the $250.00 range for most major airlines. Always book 2 one way flights for the best prices. happy cruising

I have done the Caribbean many times. I have done the Eastern Med on 3 back to back 7 day legs starting in early May out of Rome. I would go back to the Med in a heartbeat for the simple reason of the cultural experience of being there. The Carib,ean is always a great vacation, but the Med is something special. Take the chance. ;)

I would choose the Med over the Caribbean 11 times out of 10. I have done both multiple times, including two April/May cruises in the Med and a third coming up this year.

Because it's off season. Don't expect it to be that warm.

In Barcelona in early May the average high is 20 to 21 (68 to 70 F), which to me is certainly not cold. On the cruises I've taken, I'd venture the highs were slightly higher than that. Perfect weather for sightseeing.

One thing that has not been mentioned that I would weigh AGAINST a Caribbean cruise is that March tends to be a major period for US schools and colleges having their spring breaks -- so you are likely to run into either a lot of families or possibly even college kids on school break. The fact that you're looking at the 10-day cruise probably reduces the chance quite a bit. But still....

I would take the Caribbean over the Med anytime of the year, even during the hurricane season. But it all comes down to what you are looking for in a vaccation. I don't like big cities and love beaches, the Caribbean wins in my book every time. The only reason that we go to the Med sometimes instead of the Caribbean is the long flights and the time difference. Spending 2-3 days traveling to the Caribbean and home again isn't worth it if you only have one week to spend.

Tell me the water temp in early May ;)

This depends on your personal preferences..my husband goes to the Caribbean for the snorkelling, but it has little appeal to me, as I'm not a beach person nor one for the heat. We sail there and back from the UK, and the parts I enjoy are the sea days, and the mid Atlantic Portuguese islands with their history. If you love beach and activity holidays, then the Caribbean is perfect for you; if you want to see incredible ancient towns and several different cultures, then it's the Med.

Tell me the water temp in early May ;)

I wouldn't know. In 11 Med cruises over past decade I have yet to put a single toe in the water. And neither did I on the last two Caribbean cruises I took.

On the other hand, I can tell you how hot it gets in Pompeii or at the Acropolis, even in the off-season... ;)

... à chacun son goût!

Please explain - I need to know why the Med Cruise is cheaper [emoji15]

April - May in the Med is a shoulder season cruise - the edge of the cruising season there for ships that spend the winter in places like the Caribbean. It isn't yet the busy vacation time. So the cruises will cost less.

We did a Lisbon to Barcelona cruise at the end of April last year. The weather was great weather for touring - warm enough for shirt sleeves some days to cool enough others to want a jacket or sweater. A nice time to see the castles, cities and country side - better weather for that than during the heat of summer. But it isn't beach weather (well, nice weather to take a walk along the beach, see the picturesque rocky bits but not weather to lie in the sun and play in the sea). It rained a bit a couple of days, but not much, not enough to interfere with our plans.

Tourist areas will be active enough to be interesting but not as crowded as in summer. That's an advantage of shoulder season in addition to the lower prices.

So if you want to lie on beaches or snorkel at that time of year, it would be the Caribbean. But if seeing the sights in Europe appeals, the Med cruise would be great that time of year.

If you decide on the Med choose a cruise visiting Venice, the sail in and out is one of the best in the world. But wait so is Dubrovnik, so much to see, so different, been on 2 cruises to Med and will be there again in April.

I found it to be very cool in April, I was still wearing a coat, but it is what you are used to, I found yesterday quite ok at 31 C, the day before not so at 38C. On our last cruise in April the Europeans were in the pool all day and sunbathing. I guess after their long winter, as stated before I was rugged up in my coat. Lol

Because it's off season. Don't expect it to be that warm.

That would depend on where they live and where the cruise goes in the Med surely? Not the hot and humid Caribbean of course but definitely not the cold Northern Europe / US either [emoji6] still think it’s a beautiful time of year in the Mediterranean from previous cruise experiences [emoji907]

April - May in the Med is a shoulder season cruise - the edge of the cruising season there for ships that spend the winter in places like the Caribbean. It isn't yet the busy vacation time. So the cruises will cost less.

We did a Lisbon to Barcelona cruise at the end of April last year. The weather was great weather for touring - warm enough for shirt sleeves some days to cool enough others to want a jacket or sweater. A nice time to see the castles, cities and country side - better weather for that than during the heat of summer. But it isn't beach weather (well, nice weather to take a walk along the beach, see the picturesque rocky bits but not weather to lie in the sun and play in the sea). It rained a bit a couple of days, but not much, not enough to interfere with our plans.

Tourist areas will be active enough to be interesting but not as crowded as in summer. That's an advantage of shoulder season in addition to the lower prices.

So if you want to lie on beaches or snorkel at that time of year, it would be the Caribbean. But if seeing the sights in Europe appeals, the Med cruise would be great that time of year.

Totally agree [emoji41]

That would depend on where they live and where the cruise goes in the Med surely? Not the hot and humid Caribbean of course but definitely not the cold Northern Europe / US either [emoji6] still think it’s a beautiful time of year in the Mediterranean from previous cruise experiences [emoji907]

I live in Sweden, I think that I know what cold is :)

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want to walk around and look at historical culture and stuff like that, then it will be warm enough, but if you want to got to the beach it will be too cold.

Since we have a short summer in Sweden, my vacations need to compensate that fact and that's why Caribbean would be my choice.

Wow! Thanks everyone! After reading everything you all are saying, I am (not sure about the hubby) definitely now leaning toward the Med. We have been on several Caribbean cruises, and have LOVED every single one of them! I love how laid back those vacations are, and those beaches!!! But I am ready for a new experience, even if the weather isn't as sunny. I will have to talk with the hubby to see is he is on board with a more busy site-seeing type of vacation, which would be a totally new experience for us, in trade off for the sheer laid back relaxation, and the sun, experienced in the Caribbean.

We are from Seattle, so usually a Caribbean vacation in March/April does a mind good. Its wonderful to have a break from the cold, gray, drizzle and see that gorgeous sun and amazing water. I'm guessing there will be "enough" sun in the Mediterranean to at least see it, even if its not actual beach weather. Am I right?