St. Martin Sea Caves?

I was considering renting a car when we arrive in Saint John and then driving the approximate 45 minutes to Saint Martin. Once we get to Saint Martin I would like to explore the sea caves, providing the tide is out. I have searched through the boards and haven't found yet... Where do you park to see the caves? Also do you walk down steps to get to the caves or do you simply walk onto a beach and follow it along until you get to the sea caves?

We would also like to visit the Fundy Parkway which from what I understand is a driving route that takes you along the coast, with places to stop to take in the veiws. Is the parkway in Saint Martins as well? Or is the parkway in the National Park?

Thanks!

I was considering renting a car when we arrive in Saint John and then driving the approximate 45 minutes to Saint Martin. Once we get to Saint Martin I would like to explore the sea caves, providing the tide is out. I have searched through the boards and haven't found yet... Where do you park to see the caves? Also do you walk down steps to get to the caves or do you simply walk onto a beach and follow it along until you get to the sea caves?

We would also like to visit the Fundy Parkway which from what I understand is a driving route that takes you along the coast, with places to stop to take in the veiws. Is the parkway in Saint Martins as well? Or is the parkway in the National Park?

Thanks!

There is a parking lot right there at the beach by the caves--right beside the restaurant on the beach. There is no charge for parking, nor is there a charge for walking out to the caves. You can see the caves from the parking lot and you just walk out to them. Make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes as the beach is quite rocky. There is also a little stream to cross half way out to the caves but there is ususally a board there to walk on so your feet won't get wet. You can leave your car in the parking lot and then walk back up the road to visit the covered bridges and take some lovely pictures.

The view from the lighthouse in St. Martins is also beautiful. Just ask any local person how to get there. People are very friendly and approachable here in New Brunswick. The miniature horse farm is not far from the lighthouse and they welcome visitors. Children love the horses.

If you drive a further 10 or 15 minutes beyond St. Martins you will come to the Fundy Parkway. There is a nominal charge to enter (haven't driven out for a few years but it was a couple of dollars) and you can then park in various lots along the trail and walk sections or descend by stairs to the beach to enjoy the view there. This is not part of Fundy National Park---that is located further up the coast. There is a visitors' centre at the end of the Parkway at Salmon River---a very pretty spot.

I hope you enjoy your day in our area!!!

You sound like you know your way around St. John and I love it if you would give your opinion.

I was trying to arrange a private tour of the St. John area and also St. Martin's to explore the caves and see the sights. In addition, I wanted to do the Jet Boat ride at Reversing Falls. The problem is that the jet boat ride has a 12:40 ride time which will end at about 1:10. Low tide that day is between and 2:10 and 4:00. It's a 45 min drive to St. Martins so that means we would arrive around at St. Martins around 2 or 2:30 pm. Ship sails at 5 so we'd have to back on board by 4:30. And would need to allow time for problems getting back as we surely don't want to miss the ship. So bottom line is that we would have about an hour or hour and a half at St. Martins. In your opinion, is it worth it? I'm leaning towards skipping either the jet boat ride or the trip to St. Martins and need some input from those familiar with both areas to help decide what we should do.

Also, I really want to see the great variance in the tides. My dad had a friend who would photograph that area many years ago. He would photograph a small boat, tied up at the pier at high tide, and then go back and photograph it at low tide. The difference was amazing and I'd like to see that for myself. Is that possible in the St. John area? Or should we travel out to a smaller village like St. Martin for that experience?

Thanks!

You sound like you know your way around St. John and I love it if you would give your opinion.

I was trying to arrange a private tour of the St. John area and also St. Martin's to explore the caves and see the sights. In addition, I wanted to do the Jet Boat ride at Reversing Falls. The problem is that the jet boat ride has a 12:40 ride time which will end at about 1:10. Low tide that day is between and 2:10 and 4:00. It's a 45 min drive to St. Martins so that means we would arrive around at St. Martins around 2 or 2:30 pm. Ship sails at 5 so we'd have to back on board by 4:30. And would need to allow time for problems getting back as we surely don't want to miss the ship. So bottom line is that we would have about an hour or hour and a half at St. Martins. In your opinion, is it worth it? I'm leaning towards skipping either the jet boat ride or the trip to St. Martins and need some input from those familiar with both areas to help decide what we should do.

Also, I really want to see the great variance in the tides. My dad had a friend who would photograph that area many years ago. He would photograph a small boat, tied up at the pier at high tide, and then go back and photograph it at low tide. The difference was amazing and I'd like to see that for myself. Is that possible in the St. John area? Or should we travel out to a smaller village like St. Martin for that experience?

Thanks!

Actually, I live in Saint John. The boats do not bottom out in Saint John Harbour at low tide. You would have to go to St. Martins to see that. When you finish the jet boat ride you would have to allow time to change clothes as you will probably be quite wet. St. Martins is 45 minutes from the time you get on the number one highway and it would take you about ten minutes from the falls to the highway. The road to St. Martins is two lanes all the way after you reach the airport, and it is twisty turny with very few places to pass. If traffic is slow it can take up to an hour. When you arrive in St. Martins it takes about 20 minutes to walk out to the caves, as the going is quite slow on the beach. If you walk too fast you are apt to twist an ankle. One hour in St. Martins would not give you the opportunity to do what you describe. The area with the harbour and the covered bridges is truly a photographer's delight.

I guess if you are into thrills, take the jet boat ride and if you want scenic beauty, take the St. Martins trip. You would be coming back into the city just as rush hour traffic would be starting so that is another consideration. Just having an hour to make the trip back to Saint John with a deadline such as a ship sailing would make me quite antsy. Saint John is an easy city for strangers to get lost in as it is an old city and the streets run in a higgledy piggledy manner. It is a small city so you wouldn't be lost for long but when minutes count---------.

If you drive to St. Martins get on Highway # 1 going east toward Sussex and drive for about 12 to 15 minutes to the exit marked St. Martins/Airport (just past the Irving gas station). Drive along the airport arterial to the end and turn left at the stop sign. There will be another St. Martins directional sign there. Just drive straight on and you will come to St. Martins.

If you have any other questions I will check back and try to help you.

Thank you so much for the information! I think I'm going to skip the jet boat. We are a party of people and only me and perhaps 1 or 2 others want to do the jet boat anyway. Whereas everyone would enjoy St. Martin and touring St. John.

Thanks again for helping me decide!

• 2 weeks later...

St. Marten or Irving National Park

Hello all,

My family and I love interesting flora and fauna, as well as unique geological structures. We will be in St. John's as they approach high tide.

I was thinking about renting a car. We have been to St. John's before and did the Horse Drawn Carriage and Photo Tour. We loved them both. But this time, as my children are older and more into hiking than the last time, we would like to get a better feel of the area. So, would it be better for us to walk through Irving National Park or drive further to see the caves of St. Marten?

Oh, and for people with young children, or mobile by older family members... the Photo tour was great. We were sitting enough and walking enough to keep everyone comfortable and interested.

Thank you.

St. Marten or Irving National Park

Hello all,

My family and I love interesting flora and fauna, as well as unique geological structures. We will be in St. John's as they approach high tide.

I was thinking about renting a car. We have been to St. John's before and did the Horse Drawn Carriage and Photo Tour. We loved them both. But this time, as my children are older and more into hiking than the last time, we would like to get a better feel of the area. So, would it be better for us to walk through Irving National Park or drive further to see the caves of St. Marten?

Oh, and for people with young children, or mobile by older family members... the Photo tour was great. We were sitting enough and walking enough to keep everyone comfortable and interested.

Thank you.

One geographical note--You will be visiting Saint John. St. John's is in Newfoundland.

The Irving Nature Park is about a 15 minute drive from the ship dock. If you walk the whole perimeter of the park it takes about two hours of hiking along the trail. The scenery is quite beautiful. Take water and munchies as there is no place to buy them there. There is no admission charge. The park was a gift to the city from the Irving family.

The cave area in St. Martins is also a lovely spot. It involves beach walking rather than trail walking---also some wandering through the village to see the covered bridges and visit the gift shops. If the tide is high you will not be able to walk out to the caves.

It is too bad you have to make a choice between the two areas as I think you would enjoy both. I know I do.

hi..is there any tour that you can pick up at the cruise terminal pier? we will be there on june21 on the carnival victory, and sure would like to see the sea caves, and actually go in them. or do i have to pay the inflated prices that carnival wants for their own excursions?

what to do, what to do?

thanks.

jeff:confused:

Jeff,

Contact Heather at freedomtours.com. They are giving us a private, customized tour of St. John and St. Martin's. They are timing it so that we are in St. Martin at low tide so we can explore the sea caves and see the boats bottomed out at low tide. Price is $60 per person which isn't bad for a long tour, customized just for us, and private for our group.

Can someone help me out? We will be in St. John on Oct. 7, 2008 and I would love to go to the caves at St. Martin. I'm thinking about renting a car. However, I am assuming I want to be able to see it at both High Tide and Low Tide.

How do I find out when the best time is for viewing High Tide and Low Tide on this date? Also a friend that we will be traveling with mentioned that there is no tide on this day due to being a new moon. Is this true?

Sorry but I just don't have a clue about the tides.

Thanks in advance for helping me clear up the "Tide" mystery.

Can someone help me out? We will be in St. John on Oct. 7, 2008 and I would love to go to the caves at St. Martin. I'm thinking about renting a car. However, I am assuming I want to be able to see it at both High Tide and Low Tide.

How do I find out when the best time is for viewing High Tide and Low Tide on this date? Also a friend that we will be traveling with mentioned that there is no tide on this day due to being a new moon. Is this true?

Sorry but I just don't have a clue about the tides.

Thanks in advance for helping me clear up the "Tide" mystery.

There is a tide everyday ...

You can check the schedules here: http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=54&screen=445

From this schedule you can plan when you want to be in St. Martins. You can enjoy low tide roughly 1.5 hours before and after exact low-tide time.

After looking at the tide predictions it seems a waste for me to book the Sea Cave excursion since there is no way I could get there during low tide. Am I correct? We are scheduled to be in Saint John July 15. Why would the cruiseline offer this on this day if participants won't get to experience the caves?

After looking at the tide predictions it seems a waste for me to book the Sea Cave excursion since there is no way I could get there during low tide. Am I correct? We are scheduled to be in Saint John July 15. Why would the cruiseline offer this on this day if participants won't get to experience the caves?

I haven't been there yet, but I think that it will still work for you. Here's what you need to remember. The time that is posted as "low tide" is absolute low tide. However, that doesn't mean that you wouldn't have access to the caves until complete low tide. If absolute low tide is at 5 pm, you most likely would have access to the caves a couple hours before that, as the tide probably doesn't have to be all the way out before the caves are accessable. So, I'm sure that the tour company arranges their tour time so that you will have access to the caves. You are right that they wouldn't sell that excursion (advertising the sea caves) if they couldn't do it at the time you are there.

For example, if your ship sails at 5 pm, and low tide is at 5 pm, and it's a 4 or 5 hour tour, they could have you in St Martin at 1 pm. You could tour the town and the covered bridges etc. until around 3 and then have access to the caves for an hour or so before heading back to your ship.

I wouldn't worry about the tide chart if I were you. They know what they are doing and if they are selling this excursion, then they must be able to work it out.

We sail at 5pm. If you look at the tides for this day is appears we would only have an opportunity to explore the caves after 3pm....isn't that cutting it close since St. Martins is at least 45 minutes away from the port? TimeHeightADT(m)(ft)04:45 1.6 5.2 10:56 6.8 22.3 17:01 2.0 6.6 23:10 7.3 24.0

Thank you for your optimism but I am just afraid to pay that much for the excursion and then be seriously let down.

We sail at 5pm. If you look at the tides for this day is appears we would only have an opportunity to explore the caves after 3pm....isn't that cutting it close since St. Martins is at least 45 minutes away from the port? TimeHeightADT(m)(ft)04:451.6 5.2 10:566.8 22.3 17:012.0 6.6 23:107.3 24.0

Thank you for your optimism but I am just afraid to pay that much for the excursion and then be seriously let down.

An hour is plenty of time to walk out to the caves and back. You don't actually "explore" inside the caves as they are not deep. I personally never get too close to them. Just look up above your head and judge for yourself. If you are on a ship's tour, the ship won't leave without you. I would not try to cut it that close if I had a rental car to return, or were driving myself, however.

I haven't been there yet, but I think that it will still work for you. Here's what you need to remember. The time that is posted as "low tide" is absolute low tide. However, that doesn't mean that you wouldn't have access to the caves until complete low tide. If absolute low tide is at 5 pm, you most likely would have access to the caves a couple hours before that, as the tide probably doesn't have to be all the way out before the caves are accessable. So, I'm sure that the tour company arranges their tour time so that you will have access to the caves. You are right that they wouldn't sell that excursion (advertising the sea caves) if they couldn't do it at the time you are there.

For example, if your ship sails at 5 pm, and low tide is at 5 pm, and it's a 4 or 5 hour tour, they could have you in St Martin at 1 pm. You could tour the town and the covered bridges etc. until around 3 and then have access to the caves for an hour or so before heading back to your ship.

I wouldn't worry about the tide chart if I were you. They know what they are doing and if they are selling this excursion, then they must be able to work it out.

I totally agree with your assessment. I makes perfect sense. As long as the tide is falling, you don't have to wait until complete low to access the caves. I would never walk out to them on a rising tide, however.

We sail at 5pm. If you look at the tides for this day is appears we would only have an opportunity to explore the caves after 3pm....isn't that cutting it close since St. Martins is at least 45 minutes away from the port? TimeHeightADT(m)(ft)04:451.6 5.2 10:566.8 22.3 17:012.0 6.6 23:107.3 24.0

I have a suggestion - around 10:30 take a photo of your ship from Market Square boardwalk - and then take another around 4:30 before boarding again from the same spot and same frame - then you can show people the dramatic tide change by showing the 2 pics together.

Sapper is right. If you are on an excursion through the cruise ship, they are not going to leave you. If you are close to 5 pm getting back, so what? That's their problem.

I still maintain that the ship is not going to sell a excursion to tour the sea caves and then once you are there say "oops, high tide, sorry". The tour people are professionals and I'd bet they know the exact timing of when the caves can be explored safely.

If I were you, and you really want to see the caves, I'd go for it without any hesitation.

I would never walk out to them on a rising tide, however.

Ugh. I'm not afraid of water but just the thought of that gives me the creeps. I really want to see the caves, but not that up close and peronal! :-) We are on a private tour and you can bet I'm going to be very familiar with the tide charts that day so I am assured myself that we are on a falling tide. No way I'm going to just assume that our guide is that knowledgable.

Hello All,

We will be at the caves as it approaches high tide, high tide, and as it pulls away. I remember the last time we were in St. John we were shocked at the rapid change in the water height right before our eyes.

I do have a question that I posted else where. As we will have time to explore the area around the Sea Caves, does anyone have suggestions?

And what is the name of the restaurant on the beach?

Hello All,

We will be at the caves as it approaches high tide, high tide, and as it pulls away. I remember the last time we were in St. John we were shocked at the rapid change in the water height right before our eyes.

I do have a question that I posted else where. As we will have time to explore the area around the Sea Caves, does anyone have suggestions?

And what is the name of the restaurant on the beach?

I think you are looking for The Cave View Family Restaurant on the beach. There is also the Sea Side Restaurant.

Perhaps the extra time could be spent exploring the Fundy Trail Parkway: http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/

We just got back. It was wonderful......met all my expectations. My kids (age 9 and 17) thought it was very interesting (realize they are both science geeks). We rented a car through Avis...$35 for 200 free miles. Only plan was to see the Caves at St Martin. Low tide was at 8:30am local time. We pulled into port at 9am local (8am boat time). Walked less than 10 minutes to Avis. Got car and quick directions from the staff there. Drove to St Martin...nice drive. Got to the caves before 10am local. There was plenty of "beach" left to go and explore the caves that were close to the restaurant. Actually, there was just the 4 of us, and 5 other guys who also rented a car on the entire beach for quite a while. We did see how quickly the tide came in because the 5 guys were a bit ahead of us, going around the cliff, and the tide started to rise. They had to wade through knee deep water for only 2 or 3 steps on the path.

The first 2 buses from the boat got there, and most people went in to eat. Then they went out to explore while we ate. I'm so glad we got there early (about 30-40 minutes before them). We heard later that 2 more buses got there around noontime local, and they couldn't venture out at all....and were very disappointed............ I'm so glad we rented a car!

A nice cabbie that we talked with at the restaurant told us about a couple nice diversions on our way back to Saint John....we went to a quiet lighthouse, saw some sweet mini horses, and found a great little back road that took us to another beach to experience the tide.

We measured that the tide was coming in a solid foot every 30 seconds. To me, it was amazing.

I'm so glad I got to see this place....quiet, amazing, loved the lupine!!!!