Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

Have you read your toothpaste ingredients list lately? Shocking! But yes, readers without books are a sad bunch. And on Viking the cereals are in bins so I don't have access to my personal favorite, the Frosted Flakes box......:cool:

Have you read your toothpaste ingredients list lately? Shocking! But yes, readers without books are a sad bunch. And on Viking the cereals are in bins so I don't have access to my personal favorite, the Frosted Flakes box......:cool:

Exactly! My toothpaste will probably be the only thing I have left in the original container. No cereal boxes to read and probably I won't even be able to find mattress warning labels to try to decipher! :eek::')

Exactly! My toothpaste will probably be the only thing I have left in the original container. No cereal boxes to read and probably I won't even be able to find mattress warning labels to try to decipher! :eek::')

If people think you strange now, just wait till they see you after a Viking World Cruise.....:eek:;p

World cruisers from 2017-18: didn’t you get two pieces of luggage per person shipped free by luggage forward?

Those on the Jan. 2019 WC just got word this afternoon that we could ship one piece pp. Now, Viking never specifically said that we got to ship two pieces, but this was the first time they specifically restricted us to one. I was really hoping not to check any luggage and just travel with our carry ons. Now it looks like we will have to check two, ship two, and carry on two...

We shipped 2 pieces. One p/p..[/quote

Thanks. I guess that’s what confused me—two total, not two apiece.

Ship that much, plus carry ons, the question then becomes "What will I do with all this????":cool:

Gee, sounds like my husband slipped you a bribe...? If I can keep it to five, that will be great. But I plan, as did your wife, I believe, to have one consumable container that I will not be bringing home.

I thought I was smart shipping the consumable stuff in a consumable cardboard box. Worked great till time to come home. 4 months of extra stuff and we had to go and buy another suitcase! Had plenty at home. Guess who "told me so" that we should have shipped consumables in a suitcase??? Be a long time getting over that one..;p:cool:

I thought I was smart shipping the consumable stuff in a consumable cardboard box. Worked great till time to come home. 4 months of extra stuff and we had to go and buy another suitcase! Had plenty at home. Guess who "told me so" that we should have shipped consumables in a suitcase??? Be a long time getting over that one..;p:cool:

This is a great piece of information. What I was going to do was use an old carry on that is to big to fit current carry on requirements, check it filled with consumable stuff, and then either throw it away at the end, or bring it home if need be. I am also thinking about shipping one big suitcase home from London with Luggae Forward. It’s expensive, but I don’t think we can wrangle six pieces of luggage! So, you can see why my husband is willing to bribe anyone to tell me we don’t need that much stuff!;p

For cruises disembarking in London (Greenwich) a potential cheaper luggage shipping service is provided by AirPortr. We used them twice last year, but at that time they only offered the service if flying British Airways. However, they were hoping to expand the service to American Airways.

They pick up your bags from any London address and deliver them to your airline at LHR. We contracted with them heading home last year. You select a 1 hr pick up window, which must be about 6 or 7 hrs before flight departure. You must also have checked in online and have printed boarding passes.

Cost for 4 cases was about UKP 60. We then took the Tube to LHR, so shipping the cases actually cost less than a limo.

Luggage Forward ships your luggage all the way to your home, not just to the plane. We’ve used it many times. It’s costly, but extremely convenient.

They give the WC passengers a 20% discount when you ship your luggage at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Luggage Shipment—Bottomline Up-Front—Doubt we will usethe luggage forwarding service. We did Barcelona,The Baltic & Beyond for 22 days aboard Viking Sky and with extensionsbefore and after for 26 days total departing 15 April with two regular suitcases and twocarry-ons. Itinerary included StPetersburg so we had heavy winter coats and sweater layers. (BTW- Temperatures for WC 2019 have low rangeof 41-53F in Ushuaia, Argentina to 69-89F in Walvis Bay, Namibia for our travelmonths and an average 9.5 inches of rain in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) VO’son-board launderettes and three sea days kept us in clean clothes. We’re planning to hit CVS in Miami forconsumables, knowing that New Zealand and Australia are just past the halfwaypoint and we can restock there is required. Have already discussed prescription drugs with provider and insurancewho confirm a “vacation” order will be filled in advance of our departure.

A note for the World Cruisers. Fellow passenger Milo Backus passed away May 25th in Texas. He had to leave the cruise before London due to health reasons. He had an amazing life and appeared to be having a good time on board Viking Sun.

Thanks to Jim for keeping the 2017-2018 World Cruisers up-to-date and connected.

For those interested in the 2019 World Cruise there is a "roll call" Viking WC Jan 3, 2019 begun in Feb 2018 by Cattraveler at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2598035 where those signed on for the 2019 world cruise are posting.

Also if you are interested there will be a roll call album for the 2019 World Cruise. The information to be included with a picture is

Name:

CC User Name:

Cabin Number:

Email Address:

Residence:

Cruise: Full World Cruise

Comments:

Send your information to mfischer5@cfl.rr.com and be sure to sign up for the Meet & Mingle. The more the merrier. Thanks.

Connie

A note for the World Cruisers. Fellow passenger Milo Backus passed away May 25th in Texas. He had to leave the cruise before London due to health reasons. He had an amazing life and appeared to be having a good time on board Viking Sun.

So sorry to hear it, Jim. Milo was a great guy, and I’m glad to have had the chance to chat with him several times.

Ship that much, plus carry ons, the question then becomes "What will I do with all this????":cool:

Aw, c’mon! We shipped three 28” suitcases, traveled with two more 28”ers, plus carryons and a roll-aboard. We used 90% of the stuff we brought - I’m an avid over-packer, and I never regret it. :D

Aw, c’mon! We shipped three 28” suitcases, traveled with two more 28”ers, plus carryons and a roll-aboard. We used 90% of the stuff we brought - I’m an avid over-packer, and I never regret it. :D

We shipped 2 large bags via Viking’s service and carried 2 bags plus carry ons . We didn’t pack a great deal of health and (ha ha)beauty aids - we picked them up in Miami prior to leaving- much easier than trying to ship them in our bags .

The only changes in the WC is the laundry and doctors visits . We got it free but in most cases it’s going to cost you ! We added up the bills for the items we had washed/dry cleaned and it was approximately 1800 dollars . Not cheap and it was hard on the clothes, but we figured it into the costs and it was the best way to go . You could cut the costs by using their free laundry but it wasn’t worth it. It was also my wife trip and I didn’t want her time tied up doing laundry!

If you use the doctors then it should be covered under your trip insurance so why should it be free. Many of the passengers abused the service for minor issues so they decided to end it . They had two doctors on board and they where overwhelmed with minor issues .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We shipped 2 large bags via Viking’s service and carried 2 bags plus carry ons . We didn’t pack a great deal of health and (ha ha)beauty aids - we picked them up in Miami prior to leaving- much easier than trying to ship them in our bags .

The only changes in the WC is the laundry and doctors visits . We got it free but in most cases it’s going to cost you ! We added up the bills for the items we had washed/dry cleaned and it was approximately 1800 dollars . Not cheap and it was hard on the clothes, but we figured it into the costs and it was the best way to go . You could cut the costs by using their free laundry but it wasn’t worth it. It was also my wife trip and I didn’t want her time tied up doing laundry!

If you use the doctors then it should be covered under your trip insurance so why should it be free. Many of the passengers abused the service for minor issues so they decided to end it . They had two doctors on board and they where overwhelmed with minor issues .

Thanks, Eaches. I think my husband is resolved to my six pieces of luggage. He doesn’t care as long as he doesn’t have to carry them. And, like you, we arrive in Miami a day early and will hit CVS before boarding the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How in the world did you deal with all that coming home? Did you use Luggage forward again from London?

How in the world did you deal with all that coming home? Did you use Luggage forward again from London?

Not sure how I got in this quote but we shipped 2 bags and travelled with 2 rollaboards.😎