Homelands excursions-what kind of bag/backpack?

Manceor

Hi all,

We are booking on an August Homelands cruise. Just wondering what type of bag or backpack you would recommend. In the past I've either carried a Travelon anti theft bag or we carry a regular backpack that has bottle holders on the sides but has regular zippers (so not pickpocket resistant).

Suggestions?

Thanks

Marianne

There was the same question only last week. Scroll down and you'll find the post and the info you need. I said then and I'll say it again, I bring whatever I use at home. If it works here, it should work there. 😊

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Totally agree - most of the places you will visit are as safe, if not safer, than at home and as long as you are 'aware' in the extremely busy areas you will not have any problems.

• 1 month later...

Safety is of course always an issue, particularly if you are having to carry your passport with you. Losing a wallet is one thing, but losing a passport while in a foreign country is a much larger issue.

I would add a question to this thread. For those of you that has traveled in the Baltic countries, are there any issues with taking a back pack into some of the palaces, cathedrals, etc. you visited? My husband likes to carry around about 30lbs of camera equipment and I am wondering is there are any issues with having a backpack while visiting some of these places. Thanks

I use a Rick Steves cross body bag:: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/civita-shoulder-bag

It has side pockets for water and plenty of room for a jacket, etc. I don't keep money or anything valuable in it...I wear a money belt or an around the neck money belt if that makes sense. It's nice because rather than being on my back it is on my side under my arm..not that anybody would want to take my jacket and tissues!

• 3 months later...

Bumping up this thread to see if any recent Homeland cruisers have advice about taking backpacks/bags into museums, etc. Are there any restrictions in most of the popular tourist places?

Thanks! Three weeks out for us!

Bumping up this thread to see if any recent Homeland cruisers have advice about taking backpacks/bags into museums, etc. Are there any restrictions in most of the popular tourist places?

Most museums do not permit backpacks for multiple reasons, but mostly to protect the art work. Some will make you wear a backpack in front, some will let your carry it in your hand (i.e, not wear it) and others will demand that you check it. Museums will also restrict large bags for the same reasons.

If you are on a bus tour, you can leave a lot of your stuff on the bus, taking with you only what you will need for the stop itself.

Safety is of course always an issue, particularly if you are having to carry your passport with you. Losing a wallet is one thing, but losing a passport while in a foreign country is a much larger issue.

As Cattie says, safety first. Unless you need your passport to get off the ship (like in Russia), it is okay, even recommended, to leave it on the ship.

Also, take a picture of the picture page of your passport. We carry a thumb-drive with important papers -- passports, medical records (really helpful if you have any ongoing medical conditions that you might need treated while you are away), prescriptions, etc. And since you are already carrying a thumb-drive, you can fill it with anything else you might want to print out while you are traveling (much lighter than all those printed pages).

Can't remember specific restrictions in each port/attraction in the Baltic, but do remember that we tended to leave large bags & backpacks on the bus.

One thing to remember on the Homelands excursions is that tour bus overhead space is usually limited, so if you bring a medium to large sized backpack it will not fit in the overhead space and you will have to keep it on your lap for the journey.