Steam(yes), Sauna(yes), Snow???

yoshi

I've enjoyed a steam room, sauna room and rain showers but have never done the spa with a snow room-Can anyone tell me more about this?

The snow room is across from the steam room . It has snow in it falling and around the small bench in the center of the room. The room has window and door. I went in it and scooped up the snow near the becnh Rub it over my arms and legs. It was refreshing after being in the hot steam room. Then you can go to the various showers or walk into the pool or whirpool. ended my routine with a sauna located in the locker rooms.

It is part of the cricut of steam,water, snow dry heat etc.

This spa area is wonderful for a relaxing time before or after a massage or on its own.

No charge for use of the spa area.

It's a small room, and a fun concept, but I didn't actually go in there and stay in there. Azulann, did you wear slippers in there, or what? I went in with slippery soled shoes (just looking at it; for a lark!) but it seemed a little slippery in there.

Very slippery...wear sandals from the spa or your own...often someone has put a towel on the floor if there is an ice build up. The snow room is doable for me .....the tough one is the COLD pool in the locker room...BRRRRR! But the whole circuit is very relaxing especially if it is cool or yucky outside. Probably will not use it much on our next adventure to the Caribbean/Amazon.

It's a small room, and a fun concept, but I didn't actually go in there and stay in there. Azulann, did you wear slippers in there, or what? I went in with slippery soled shoes (just looking at it; for a lark!) but it seemed a little slippery in there.

Yes, I wore the spa slippers and walked very gingerly. It was slippery, but it was so fun to have slush/ snow to rub on your arms and legs in April. Felt just like home.

We did have a blizzard on April 14 two days after I got home from my TA cruise! :eek:

"The snow room is across from the steam room . It has snow in it falling and around the small bench in the center of the room. The room has window and door. I went in it and scooped up the snow near the becnh Rub it over my arms and legs. It was refreshing after being in the hot steam room. Then you can go to the various showers or walk into the pool or whirpool. ended my routine with a sauna located in the locker rooms.

It is part of the cricut of steam,water, snow dry heat etc.

This spa area is wonderful for a relaxing time before or after a massage or on its own.

No charge for use of the spa area."

Thank you Azulann -Wow I'm going to have to try that-snow falling in the Mediterranean! That's great, although I imagine time in the snow room is short, followed by a nice stay in the warm jacuzzi. Can't wait to try it out

Thanks also deec,

I will remember to bring my sandals

Stopped in a few times. Liked it but the floor was a sheet of ice - VERY slippery. (Apparently, it freezes up from time to time, They have to "defrost" it to get it working again, resulting in a slick surface any Zamboni driver would be proud of.) Bad knees, fragile hips? Beware!

Definitely agree with the title - Steam (yes), Sauna (Yes), Snow (NO!!!).

We're wimps from the West Coast, that winter in SoCal. Just can't image willingly going into a room filled with snow. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

If it is offered, try the Nordic Bathing Ritual offered through the spa. It's an hour and a half session led by spa staff educating you on the hot and cold areas in the thermal suite. You will get to take home some nice products and you will receive your choice of a hand, foot or scalp massage at the end of the session.

"If it is offered, try the Nordic Bathing Ritual offered through the spa. It's an hour and a half session led by spa staff educating you on the hot and cold areas in the thermal suite. You will get to take home some nice products and you will receive your choice of a hand, foot or scalp massage at the end of the session"

Hi Elpasomom,

That sounds very interesting-would this be offered on a sea day? Do you remember about how much they charge for this?

Thanks

"If it is offered, try the Nordic Bathing Ritual offered through the spa. It's an hour and a half session led by spa staff educating you on the hot and cold areas in the thermal suite. You will get to take home some nice products and you will receive your choice of a hand, foot or scalp massage at the end of the session"

Hi Elpasomom,

That sounds very interesting-would this be offered on a sea day? Do you remember about how much they charge for this?

Thanks

Yoshi, i just returned from a 14 night Into the Midnight Sun cruise. The sessions were offered three evenings from 8-9:30. I do not believe any of the sessions were on sea days. The session was $39. I enjoyed it very much as the spa staff made it fun and educational. The staff had a few extra surprises that you cannot replicate on your own:D

"Yoshi, i just returned from a 14 night Into the Midnight Sun cruise. The sessions were offered three evenings from 8-9:30. I do not believe any of the sessions were on sea days. The session was $39. I enjoyed it very much as the spa staff made it fun and educational. The staff had a few extra surprises that you cannot replicate on your own:D"

Elpasomom,

That sounds so reasonable for a spa-event, I hope they offer it on our cruise, I will give it a try. I ready for a surprise now!:D

Thanks again

We've been on three Viking cruises on three different ships, and I (who happens to LOVE the spa area) have witnessed a reoccurring issue of some fellow travelers not fully closing the snow grotto's door completely. With the warm humid air rushing in for an extended period of time you result in more 'ice' than 'snow'.

To a lesser extent you run into the same thing with the steam room door being left open, but there you only need a quick 5 minute charge and you are back to temp. In the snow grotto a layer of ice has formed that is not going away anytime soon. Don't be surprised to occasionally find a 'closed' sign on the grotto's door, but that's usually short-lived.

To cool off, the 'bucket' has always been my favorite, but this last trip (last week) I learned to (grit my teeth) and use the cold pool in the locker room. When cooling down using the grotto I usually just stood there trying not to slip on the ice.

We were looking around the spa and were offered a tour. The gentleman recommended working up a sweat in the dry sauna then going into the snow grotto and rubbing a hand full of snow on any aching joints. We loved the spa, used it almist daily and both felt great on a vigorous port intensive cruise

Definitely agree with the title - Steam (yes), Sauna (Yes), Snow (NO!!!).

We're wimps from the West Coast, that winter in SoCal. Just can't image willingly going into a room filled with snow. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Me too! I used to work in the Bering Sea. Seen quite enough snow and cold, thank you very much.....:eek::cool: