American Empress, Aug 29, Clarkston to Vancouver

ttalbcr

Hi TTALBCR,

Last summer we were on the American Empress Portland to Clarkston, and had such a nice time we decided to do it again, Clarkston to Portland. Food, entertainment, scenery, all top notch. We really like riverboat trips, having taken the American Queen (and even the beloved Delta Queen) many times.

I see you have also had numerous ocean cruises. It's nice to see a "blue water" traveler who also appreciates river trips. Riverboating is different. I know that people can't help but compare the two types of experience. My advice to them is you can like both; its not either/or.

Keep smilin'

pd

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Rivertripper,

Just booked the Hell's Canyon scenic jet boat excursion for DH and myself.

Thinking about booking the Wine & Spirits, Richland excursion. Did you do any of the extra excursions on your trip? On our AQ trip, upper Mississippi, we just did the hop-on, hop-off bus tours and had a great time visiting the small towns.:)

Hi ttalbcr,

On our American Empress trip last year, they did not offer the Richland Wine Tour. We never found out why. Oh well, it's river travel, be prepared for anything. We are definitely signing up for it this year. We did not sign up for the jet boat either and regretted it when everyone we spoke to that evening said it was great. Now we are signing up for that too.

In the past we haven't taken the premium excursions because the hop-on/hop-off bus at river towns is so good for exploring, whether you are on the Columbia or the Mississippi. At every town the people are happy to see you and do what they can to help you enjoy your visit. People with special interests (history, etc,) always give the premium tours good reviews when we talk to them. We just get so busy during the short time we are in the towns we can't do both the premium tours and the hop-on/hop-off bus, so independent exploring usually wins. It's all good.

Keep smilin'

Rivertripper/pd