Spotting the old salts

Jeep108

There's a fun thread about spotting the cruise virgins http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1173100

Some fun observations. General consensus being to have fun, maintain the wonder and awe (when you lose the excitement, many think they will stop cruising) and cruise your own way - even if wearing your PJs to the breakfast buffet is frowned upon.

Thought it might be fun to start a thread about spotting the seasoned salties. How do you know, just from watching their behaviour, that someone has been on many (many) cruises. What gives it away?? What great advice have the old salts passed along to you as a 'relative' newby? What do you love about meeting up with some of the 'been there, done that' crowd? And if I want to get some great tips onboard - who should I approach?

Just for fun - be friendly/polite.

I love the 'newbies'. Many need to be educated. Not so much about cruising, but, many leave common sense and social values at home. Just the small things like waiting for folks to exit the elevator before trying to get on. At least asking before cutting into the buffet line to get something. Parents divorcing their kids and expecting everyone else to keep an eye on them. (example: entered an elevator and had to step over four young boys sitting on the floor and punching every button when the light went out. Solution? Easy. I carry my cell phone just to keep track of the time. Put it to my ear and said in a loud voice. "Security? We have a problem on elevator 3. Next stop? They ran off.) Every time that they saw me during the rest of the cruise, they would turn around and leave. I am an old man and I respect those using electric chairs and carts, however, many of those folks believe that they are on the freeway at rush hour. Totally disrespect others. I give them the space that they need but, I refuse to be run over. Chair hogs are an ongoing problem that seems to have very few cures. I have a few but, you don't want to hear about that. :eek:

Just a few thoughts to keep this interesting thread going.

Chair hogs are an ongoing problem that seems to have very few cures. I have a few but, you don't want to hear about that.

Based on your solution to the elevator kids.......I think I would like to hear it. :)

I love the 'newbies'. Many need to be educated. Not so much about cruising, but, many leave common sense and social values at home. Just the small things like waiting for folks to exit the elevator before trying to get on. At least asking before cutting into the buffet line to get something. Parents divorcing their kids and expecting everyone else to keep an eye on them. (example: entered an elevator and had to step over four young boys sitting on the floor and punching every button when the light went out. Solution? Easy. I carry my cell phone just to keep track of the time. Put it to my ear and said in a loud voice. "Security? We have a problem on elevator 3. Next stop? They ran off.) Every time that they saw me during the rest of the cruise, they would turn around and leave. I am an old man and I respect those using electric chairs and carts, however, many of those folks believe that they are on the freeway at rush hour. Totally disrespect others. I give them the space that they need but, I refuse to be run over. Chair hogs are an ongoing problem that seems to have very few cures. I have a few but, you don't want to hear about that. :eek:

Just a few thoughts to keep this interesting thread going.

Thanks for these ideas. I agree that mostly common courtesy is sometimes lacking. I would love to hear your thoughts on the chair hogs. As Brits living in Canada we are unerringly polite in social situations. I wouldn't dream of hogging chairs but would love to know little tips on finding a good hangout spot on deck for those wonderful sea days.

Thanks for these ideas. I agree that mostly common courtesy is sometimes lacking. I would love to hear your thoughts on the chair hogs. As Brits living in Canada we are unerringly polite in social situations. I wouldn't dream of hogging chairs but would love to know little tips on finding a good hangout spot on deck for those wonderful sea days.

At the pool area about lunch time, the chairs were pretty full. Saw two that were vacant except each had a towel and a book. After walking thru a few times over about 1 1/2 to two hours, I made a decision.

I stretched out on one of the chairs and started reading one of the books. They had both been left open to the place that the readers left off. Easy to find where they stopped reading. About 30 min. later they returned to find me enjoying the books. They were very upset. I apologized, calmly closed the books, put them down, moved to a table in the shade and watched to see how long it would take them to find where they had left off. I could tell that they extremely angry. All I could do was giggle. Hope they never forgot it.

As you can tell. When there is a problem, I try to be as creative as possible. :eek: Harry

• 1 month later...

You go Harry!!!:D Sounds like you and I are cut from the same cloth...

Love to mess with peoples minds... Have you ever been someone else on a cruise??? Love to make people think I am someone I am not, (like a Doctor)

What do they know, I will never see them again... :cool:

I'm far from an old salt - just booked my 4th cruise (yay!)

But I can spot an old salt just because they are comfortable cruising their way. Not overbearing, but graciously enjoying the cruise life in the ways that they enjoy.

On my first cruise I packed a fancy dress for every night and shoes to match because that's what my mother-in-law does when she cruises. Now I'm packing a few cotton maxi dresses and my favorite wide leg linen pants because that's how I feel comfortable. She lives to plan her outfits and dress to the nines and I think it's awesome but I need to pack less to get the same enjoyment. My husband loves to be right in the action on sea days while I love to curl up with a book on our balcony.

Old salts have figured out that the only wrong way to cruise is to do it the way somebody else says you should. BTW both me and my old salt MIL wear our lanyards proudly 😉

Here's to hairy leg contests, champagne art auctions, taking a million pictures, endless hours gazing out to sea or whatever else floats your boat and getting the chance to become old salts too.

At the pool area about lunch time, the chairs were pretty full. Saw two that were vacant except each had a towel and a book. After walking thru a few times over about 1 1/2 to two hours, I made a decision.

I stretched out on one of the chairs and started reading one of the books. They had both been left open to the place that the readers left off. Easy to find where they stopped reading. About 30 min. later they returned to find me enjoying the books. They were very upset. I apologized, calmly closed the books, put them down, moved to a table in the shade and watched to see how long it would take them to find where they had left off. I could tell that they extremely angry. All I could do was giggle. Hope they never forgot it.

As you can tell. When there is a problem, I try to be as creative as possible. :eek: Harry

I can hardly believe that the chair hogs in question didn't get your point and find it funny. Some people have no sense of humor. If I left a chair for that long and I came back to find someone enjoying it AND my book, I think I would have thought it funny, and after I LMAO I would discreetly take my things and let them have the chair. That would be the most courteous thing to do, then again, I have yet to hog a chair I wasn't using.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl
add info

• 2 weeks later...

If it was me it was done to, I would ask how was the book and have a discussion on it over drinks / snacks / meal. :p

Regarding spotting old salts; at the buffet drink station re/filling their non-cruise logo insulated travel mug or water bottle - now that is something to idolize and emulated for a newbie like me!:D I winded up bringing 2 water bottles and insulated travel mug for future trips, hope they don't mind a 30-something refilling hers with them. :)

Edited by maywell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Old Salt : Boards with one smallish to medium bag in tow. Does more sitting around than rushing to do everything. Enjoys watching people and rarely gets thier undies in a bundle. An old salt takes things in stride and is totally flexible.

I don't know how many cruises it takes to be an old salt, but if you judge by attitude and behavior, I think I have very nearly arrived. I only have 14 or so cruises under my belt, but in my defense, I started kind of late, about 10 years ago. I did grow up on the sea though....

Old Salt : Boards with one smallish to medium bag in tow. Does more sitting around than rushing to do everything. Enjoys watching people and rarely gets thier undies in a bundle. An old salt takes things in stride and is totally flexible.

I don't know how many cruises it takes to be an old salt, but if you judge by attitude and behavior, I think I have very nearly arrived. I only have 14 or so cruises under my belt, but in my defense, I started kind of late, about 10 years ago. I did grow up on the sea though....

I'm an Old Salt with almost 20 cruises, but since I'm also an underwater photographer I can never board with only one bag. Camera equipment takes up a lot of room, and it never goes in my luggage. So, medium-sized roller bag, large backpack with laptop and camera accessories, stuffed camera bag, and small backpack. It's a pain, but well worth it.

I'm an Old Salt with almost 20 cruises, but since I'm also an underwater photographer I can never board with only one bag. Camera equipment takes up a lot of room, and it never goes in my luggage. So, medium-sized roller bag, large backpack with laptop and camera accessories, stuffed camera bag, and small backpack. It's a pain, but well worth it.
I totally get that !

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app