Found jewelry ~ vision of seas!

FYI, Royal is self insured except for an amount on the ships covering sinking etc.

Even more reason for good risk management when it’s your own dime, not your insurer’s, that’s going to pay out claims. I do hope they have a good claims administrator.

Wrong!!!!

Lets hope the person that lost the item is on CC and sees this thread. Do you know the chances of that happening are? Everywhere else the OP could have posted about it? I haven't seen anything else. Less likely.

Where would your first call be to find a lost item?

I gotta tell you, weirder things have happened. On a cruise on the Oasis a few years ago, my niece was one of the kids selected to go on the ice for the ice show. Unfortunately, our camera battery died at that precise moment. A few weeks later I was reading the boards and a total stranger mentioned in his report on what he did on his recent cruise that he had seen the ice show on our sailing and had taken a bunch of pictures. Long story short, one of his pictures included my niece and he was kind enough to email it to us. I know it’s not the same thing, and really have no opinion either way on what the original poster should do or have done, but just on the point of whether it’s too great a coincidence for the post to be seen by the owner of the lost property, I can attest that such things do happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I gotta tell you, weirder things have happened. On a cruise on the Oasis a few years ago, my niece was one of the kids selected to go on the ice for the ice show. Unfortunately, our camera battery died at that precise moment. A few weeks later I was reading the boards and a total stranger mentioned in his report on what he did on his recent cruise that he had seen the ice show on our sailing and had taken a bunch of pictures. Long story short, one of his pictures included my niece and he was kind enough to email it to us. I know it’s not the same thing, and really have no opinion either way on what the original poster should do or have done, but just on the point of whether it’s too great a coincidence for the post to be seen by the owner of the lost property, I can attest that such things do happen.

That was so lucky, and so nice.

Was told by ship staff lost/found items held for very short time. AND this ship is leaving in few days for Europe. Staff also said MOST items found.....seldom get reunited with original owner. It is MY intention for original owner to get their jewelry back. I will KEEP looking for them - until it gets back to them! Thanks for being interested & I realize you have BEST intention in mind. I thought I would get responses like yours. I also lost a couple of things on board 2 diff ships & NEVER got items back! This is why I am trying so HARD & taking time to do it this way! Thanks again ;)

On a cruise my husband gave me a new engagement ring and wedding band for our 40th anniversary. They came in a large dark box. I placed my old ones in the box and put it in the safe. The problem was that it was almost the size of the safe and being dark and the safe being in the closet didn't help. We looked in the safe when we were leaving and it appeared empty. I thought my husband took it and he thought I did. We reported it to RCL as soon as we got home. They filled out a report. I kept getting email messages saying they were still searching. I then got a call that they were being mailed to me. About 2-3 weeks later. They came from the home office in Miami, I believe.

I don't know who the staff was that told you that. It's a very efficient system. I was totally shocked that we got them back. Thank you RCL.

Was told by ship staff lost/found items held for very short time. AND this ship is leaving in few days for Europe. Staff also said MOST items found.....seldom get reunited with original owner. It is MY intention for original owner to get their jewelry back. I will KEEP looking for them - until it gets back to them! Thanks for being interested & I realize you have BEST intention in mind. I thought I would get responses like yours. I also lost a couple of things on board 2 diff ships & NEVER got items back! This is why I am trying so HARD & taking time to do it this way! Thanks again ;)

Did you file a report?

Did you file a report?

If they filed a report, the jewelry would be at Royal Caribbean's offices in Miami, not in some random stranger's possession while they pretend to search for the true owner on random message boards.

What "common law" are you referring to? Keep in mind that these are foreign-flagged ships sailing in international waters and calling on foreign ports?

You found something really expensive in the ship. You know it's not yours. You know the ship, knows the passengers that were in the room. You know, that the ship has a high likelihood of finding the owner. So you take it yourself, off the ship, while it is in USA territory. Sounds simple enough to understand the poster, took something not belonging to them, and did not make the appropriate effort to fix the situation. Under common law, both internationally, and on a ship is still called taking what is not yours. Now on the ship, I believe if they were outside territorial waters, the ship captain could administer justice, and had the person walk the plank or have hand chopped off, or something like that.

You found something really expensive in the ship. You know it's not yours. You know the ship, knows the passengers that were in the room. You know, that the ship has a high likelihood of finding the owner. So you take it yourself, off the ship, while it is in USA territory. Sounds simple enough to understand the poster, took something not belonging to them, and did not make the appropriate effort to fix the situation. Under common law, both internationally, and on a ship is still called taking what is not yours. Now on the ship, I believe if they were outside territorial waters, the ship captain could administer justice, and had the person walk the plank or have hand chopped off, or something like that.

Havingfun, you’re not quite correct on the law.

“Common law” is a term of art, referring to the legal system developed in England. Former English colonies, such as the United States, have built their own legal systems on common law principles.

The act of taking the jewelry occurred in port. The law of the port controls. This ship usually docks in Texas and Louisiana. Texas is a common law state, so you’d be right on the law, unless Texas has enacted statutes dealing with lost property that change common law principles.

Louisiana is a civil law jurisdiction, it’s laws based on The Napoleonic Code, and common law does not apply. But I’d hazard a guess that civil law frowns on taking something that does not belong to you.

You are, however, spot on in your description of removing the jewelry from the ship as wrongful.

If they filed a report, the jewelry would be at Royal Caribbean's offices in Miami, not in some random stranger's possession while they pretend to search for the true owner on random message boards.

Geez, this topic is getting tense. I was asking if the OP filed a report on the jewelry she lost that wasn't returned the reason she doesn't trust the process.

My cousin lost a very nice camera on board once. Never got it back, even after filing a report. She had left it in the cabin. As soon as she got in the taxi and realized it, she called the office. Someone on board wasn't very honest that time!

My cousin lost a very nice camera on board once. Never got it back, even after filing a report. She had left it in the cabin. As soon as she got in the taxi and realized it, she called the office. Someone on board wasn't very honest that time!

We were in England for my sons wedding. After the wedding we went to Italy with friends to vacation. On the trip home to the U.S. I left my camera on the table in a restaurant at Heathrow airport. I realized it on the plane. I cried most of the way home, the photos on my camera were irreplaceable. The flight attendant filed a report and when we got home we reached out to Heathrow, they asked me to describe the photos and it turned out that they had my camera! There are good people out there! They mailed it back to me and I couldn't have been any happier.

Perhaps the people occupying the cabin on the following voyage found the camera and, not trusting the cruise line took it home with the "intention" of finding the owner on cc.;)

Perhaps the people occupying the cabin on the following voyage found the camera and, not trusting the cruise line took it home with the "intention" of finding the owner on cc.;)

This-

have you tried searching the boards for your room number and ship name?

I would also start searching random photography forums to see if they posted your camera there

This-

have you tried searching the boards for your room number and ship name?

I would also start searching random photography forums to see if they posted your camera there

Or read minds like the OP supposses you should do, not giving the room number :rolleyes:

You did good. Do not get intimidated by the nasties here.

Also perhaps, call Royal and let them know this and where to contact you in case the person of the lost property calls them to inquire. Hope you find the owner. Good Luck.

Edited by Arzeena

We were in England for my sons wedding. After the wedding we went to Italy with friends to vacation. On the trip home to the U.S. I left my camera on the table in a restaurant at Heathrow airport. I realized it on the plane. I cried most of the way home, the photos on my camera were irreplaceable. The flight attendant filed a report and when we got home we reached out to Heathrow, they asked me to describe the photos and it turned out that they had my camera! There are good people out there! They mailed it back to me and I couldn't have been any happier.

We found somebody's underwater camera once on a private island of the cruiseline. Took it to the front desk and their answer to us "Keep it. You found it".....really??? Were they nuts?!!!!

We had seen the pictures and the time stamp and knew it was some people from our current cruise. Also the fact that the camera still started/worked, proved that it was very recently lost. We told the front desk that if anyone inquires to please give our cabin #. Tried to look for the owner in the picture gallery? Perhaps we could spot them on the ship? Nothing . On the day before disembarkation, we got a phone call in our cabin from the owner.......they said that they inquired at front desk and front desk first brought out the same crate of lost stuff and told them to look there. Then they also told them about us and gave them the cabin #. Owner and camera were united. We did not have to check for proof...we had seen the picture and the owner was exactly the same as she looked in the picture.

Why not post is on the ROLL CALL board for THAT cruise as well as here in the general forum?