Driving round Tahiti & Moorea

readingfast

We rented in Moorea several years ago while we stayed for 5 nights. Very easy to drive around the entire island. There is a lookout point to drive up to as well. Just check on the travel sites to see where to stop.

Karen

We used the bus in Tahiti and booked a tour to see the other side of the Island. Make certain where you are going there. It is a much bigger and busier area.

Karen

On Moorea drive around the entire island. Take the one road (not the pineapple road) up to the Belevedere Outlook. Along the way stop at the Agricultural School (ice cream) and you can also stop at the mare. Bring mosquito spray as you will need it. Along the main road which goes around the island I would also stop at the juice factory. Other than those specific stops I would consider any shops that you want to stop in as well as a break for lunch.

Definitely Belvedere lookout and the juice factory! We drove around Moorea on our day there & did some snorkeling at a little beach too. Also stopped at a little store & got a wonderful baguette & some meat and cheese for a picnic. Only regret was not buying more "Tahiti Juice" at the factory!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just returned from FP and we spent a day each post-cruise in Moorea and Tahiti. We rented a car from Avis in Moorea. The office is right across the street from the ferry terminal. Super easy.

There is one main road around the island. Lots of beautiful places to stop and take photos. From the ferry terminal, head North and stop at the first lookout right after the Sofitel. You then pass a golf course and then the town of Maharepa. Lots of great restaurants here. Rudy's is a good place. I would recommend a little place called the Manuia Grill across from the Manava resort. Get the meka fish platter. Delicious.

You then drive around Cook's Bay. There is an AMAZING pizza place there called Allo Pizza. As a Northeastern US resident, I am spoiled with pizza! This place made me return two days in a row!

After coming around Cook's Bay, you'll hit the juice factory. They give samples of juice and alcohol. Definitely worth a stop. Next is the Hilton and then start around Opunohu Bay. At the back of that bay, there will be a road on your left. Turn there for the Belvedere lookout. It is a must-stop.

There are also a bunch of shops and restaurants near the Northwestern tip.

Once you get around the West side of the island, you won't see much until you get back to the ferry terminal.

We didn't hire a car for Tahiti....we were only there for a night before an early flight so we used taxis and went to the roulettes for dinner.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Denise

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't see a ton of taxi's - only a few. I believe that folks took the bus or rented a car. It will also depend on where you anchor. There are two bays. If you anchor in Cooks Bay, there aren't any beaches that I can remember.

We anchored in Opunohu Bay. You will tender to the Northwest corner of the bay. There is a beach on the Northeast side. It might take an hour or so to walk casually. After our cruise, we stayed at the Hilton and the beach was very close to the Hilton's entrance - probably just under a mile. I ran by it a few times and it looked beautiful and peaceful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I didn't see a ton of taxi's - only a few. I believe that folks took the bus or rented a car. It will also depend on where you anchor. There are two bays. If you anchor in Cooks Bay, there aren't any beaches that I can remember.

We anchored in Opunohu Bay. You will tender to the Northwest corner of the bay. There is a beach on the Northeast side. It might take an hour or so to walk casually. After our cruise, we stayed at the Hilton and the beach was very close to the Hilton's entrance - probably just under a mile. I ran by it a few times and it looked beautiful and peaceful.

Denise - Where is the closest place to rent a car. We are anchoring off of Opunohu Bay. I was going to reserve a rental car in advance. Would we need to take a taxi to pick up a rental car?

Denise - Where is the closest place to rent a car. We are anchoring off of Opunohu Bay. I was going to reserve a rental car in advance. Would we need to take a taxi to pick up a rental car?

We got our rental car from Avis. They came to the dock where the ship is and drove us to the office to do the paperwork and pick up the car.

Oh, and the office where we got the car was at the Intercontinental. When you book, just tell them you’re a ship passenger. They’ll have a list at the dock with your name on it and know to expect you.