Dream cabin # 11203

jakesnana

Has anyone recently been on this ship that can speak to a few questions? Although Carnival is saying it is only a modified cabin, it is showing on Youtube videos as a fully accessible cabin.

1. Is there a step up into the bathroom?

2. Is there a step up into the shower?

TIA for your help.

I would have a tendency to rely more on the ship's description of the cabin than any other website. Also, there are cruisers that do not realize there is a difference between the modified cabins and the fully accessible cabins. I have not been on the Dream, however my experiences with Carnival's modified cabins is that there was not truly a step into the bathroom or shower. However, there was very limited space in the sleeping area.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

I would have a tendency to rely more on the ship's description of the cabin than any other website. Also, there are cruisers that do not realize there is a difference between the modified cabins and the fully accessible cabins. I have not been on the Dream, however my experiences with Carnival's modified cabins is that there was not truly a step into the bathroom or shower. However, there was very limited space in the sleeping area.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Hi Betty,

Thanks for responding. It's funny you should state that I should rely on the ships description. I have googled the cabin # and have seen Youtube videos and pictures of the cabin, but they were taken in 2015, so I don't know if anything has changed. Also, Carnival's info is different, depending on where you look. On the consumer website, it shows the cabin as ambulatory, but on the TA portal it shows it as wheel chair accessible. They can't both be right :(

When I spoke to the lady at the Access Dept., she described it as an Ambulatory cabin with a step into the bathroom and a lip at the shower. When I told her that youtube videos showed different she remarked that they are "required" to describe it as ambulatory in case they decide to change it. WTH ??? There are so few H/C cabins on the ship to begin with, why would you change out one that's already been set up?

Hi Betty,

Thanks for responding. It's funny you should state that I should rely on the ships description. I have googled the cabin # and have seen Youtube videos and pictures of the cabin, but they were taken in 2015, so I don't know if anything has changed. Also, Carnival's info is different, depending on where you look. On the consumer website, it shows the cabin as ambulatory, but on the TA portal it shows it as wheel chair accessible. They can't both be right :(

When I spoke to the lady at the Access Dept., she described it as an Ambulatory cabin with a step into the bathroom and a lip at the shower. When I told her that youtube videos showed different she remarked that they are "required" to describe it as ambulatory in case they decide to change it. WTH ??? There are so few H/C cabins on the ship to begin with, why would you change out one that's already been set up?

Have reviewed several YouTube Videos for Dream 11203 and none of the videos show it as being "Fully Accessible". Though the bathroom entrance door as well as the shower has a zero threshold the room CANNOT be classifed as "Fully Accessible" for the following reasons.

• Cabin entrance door is only standard width ( for Carnival that's 23" ) . In order for the cabin to be classified as "Fully Accessible " the entrance door width is required to be 32"
  • The toilet is not a raised toilet
  • The toilet is positioned on a short angled wall and is not positioned next to a parallel wall either to the right or left of the toilet. Therefore the toilet has no grab bars. In order for the toilet to be classified as "Fully Accessible" there is to be a grab bar directly behind the toilet with another directly parallel to the toilet on the right or left of the toilet. The grab bar behind the toilet and the one on the parallel wall should be at 90 degrees of each one. The toilet doesn'teven have fold down grab bars.
  • The toilet is postioned directly next to the sink and varying distance from another angled wall. Therefore there is no area for a person to properly position a wheelchair or mobility scooter to facilitate a side to side transfer.

With all due respect I don't understand why your think that soley on the basis of having a zero trheshold the bathroom door and the shower that the Dream Cabin 11203 should be classfied as "Fully Accessible" Cabin ? Accessibilty goes beyond just having a zero threshold bathroom entrance and shower. Carnival has properly classified it as an "Ambulatory Accessible Cabin" . Being that the reclassification of Cabins was a direct result of a 2015 Settlement agreement between the USA Federal Govement and Carnival Corp. I'd be very surprised if what's stated on the website wasn't correct.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Have reviewed several YouTube Videos for Dream 11203 and none of the videos show it as being "Fully Accessible". Though the bathroom entrance door as well as the shower has a zero threshold the room CANNOT be classifed as "Fully Accessible" for the following reasons.

• Cabin entrance door is only standard width ( for Carnival that's 23" ) . In order for the cabin to be classified as "Fully Accessible " the entrance door width is required to be 32"
  • The toilet is not a raised toilet
  • The toilet is positioned on a short angled wall and is not positioned next to a parallel wall either to the right or left of the toilet. Therefore the toilet has no grab bars. In order for the toilet to be classified as "Fully Accessible" there is to be a grab bar directly behind the toilet with another directly parallel to the toilet on the right or left of the toilet. The grab bar behind the toilet and the one on the parallel wall should be at 90 degrees of each one. The toilet doesn'teven have fold down grab bars.
  • The toilet is postioned directly next to the sink and varying distance from another angled wall. Therefore there is no area for a person to properly position a wheelchair or mobility scooter to facilitate a side to side transfer.

With all due respect I don't understand why your think that soley on the basis of having a zero trheshold the bathroom door and the shower that the Dream Cabin 11203 should be classfied as "Fully Accessible" Cabin ? Accessibilty goes beyond just having a zero threshold bathroom entrance and shower. Carnival has properly classified it as an "Ambulatory Accessible Cabin" . Being that the reclassification of Cabins was a direct result of a 2015 Settlement agreement between the USA Federal Govement and Carnival Corp. I'd be very surprised if what's stated on the website wasn't correct.

Thank you for taking the time to respond with the information. I believe the door is probably wider than the 23" you mentioned, as one of the pictures I saw showed a scooter in the cabin. I do not believe that a scooter would fit through a 23" door.

I am not as well versed as you obviously are as to what constitutes a Fully Accessible cabin, I just know what is of importance to the guest. I have forward all of the information you have provided to him to see if he will be able to "work around" the limitations of the cabin.

Again, thank you for taking the time to address the issue.

Thank you for taking the time to respond with the information. I believe the door is probably wider than the 23" you mentioned, as one of the pictures I saw showed a scooter in the cabin. I do not believe that a scooter would fit through a 23" door.

I am not as well versed as you obviously are as to what constitutes a Fully Accessible cabin, I just know what is of importance to the guest. I have forward all of the information you have provided to him to see if he will be able to "work around" the limitations of the cabin.

Again, thank you for taking the time to address the issue.

With all do respect you're also not versed in scooters vs. cruise cabin doors.

Provided the scooter is not a Full Size Scooter or a Bariatric Scooter, more scooters than not will fit through a standard cruise cabin door. Carnival's standard entrance cabin door is 23" door frame to door frame. 2 inches than must be deducted as the door does not close flush to wall. Thus making the total threshold clearance 21". Most non- full size scooters and non-bariatric scooter are 21" or less. The most commonly rented mobility scooter from either of Carnival's approved rental providers is the Pride GoGo Sport and the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler. Both of these scooters fit through a standard cruise cabin door . Albeit that at times the end user needs to adjust the width of the arm rests. With that said I could name numorous mobility scooters that fit through a standard cabin door but will spare you. If you look through the video's again you'll see that the entrance door is noticeably less in width than the bathroom door. Believe it or not.

Edited by xxoocruiser

For the sake of your traveling companion, if you are traveling outside the U.S., I certainly hope you have sense enough to get information directly from the source. Please do not put your friend in any compromising situations.

Regardless of your attitude, I still wish that you both have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

For the sake of your traveling companion, if you are traveling outside the U.S., I certainly hope you have sense enough to get information directly from the source. Please do not put your friend in any compromising situations.

Regardless of your attitude, I still wish that you both have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

I do have contacts within CCL and have reached out to them directly to get specific info on the cabin. I should hear back shortly. We have traveled together several times, so I am aware of what her needs are, just need to find out if they can be accommodated in a cabin that is less than Fully Accessible.

I do have contacts within CCL and have reached out to them directly to get specific info on the cabin. I should hear back shortly. We have traveled together several times, so I am aware of what her needs are, just need to find out if they can be accommodated in a cabin that is less than Fully Accessible.

Being that you're primary concern was just a zero threshold entrance to bathroom and shower and now you're reaching out to contact at CCL to see if you friends needs can be accomodated in a cabin that is less than fully accessible tells me that you possibly withheld vital information in your original post.

If your friend requires toilet grab bars , proper clearance to transfer to the toilet from a wheelchair or scooter the as well needs an accessible enrance door that can accomodate a wheelchair or scooter wider than 21" the cabin will NOT meet her needs regardless of you having contacts at CCL.

Unless your contacts are the Accessibility Compliance Officer for CCL their info really means nothing and it would inappropriate for them to confirm that the cabin will work for someone who apparently may need a fully accessible cabin.

CCL is being held to the mircrosope by the USA goverment as a result of the law suit back in 2015 that required CCL to reclassify its cabins. For your contacts to say anything other than the cabin is classified to be used by individuals who are ambulatory and do not require the use of wheelchair or scooters exposes CCL to a liability risk should your freind be injured .

IMO opinion you already know the cabin doesn't suit your friends needs but you're insistent to fit a square peg into a round hole anyway... but that's just my opinion. Good luck anyway.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 1 month later...

We've stayed in that cabin on the Dream - the door is at least 30" wide (the width of my mother's wheelchair).

It is not listed as fully accessible due to the height and placement of the toilet. This is a common issue with Carnival accessible cabins - and a core reason why many are listed as only modified accessible and not fully accessible.

It also does not have an automatic door opener (which I've found to be present on cabins Carnival lists as fully accessible).

We've stayed in that cabin on the Dream - the door is at least 30" wide (the width of my mother's wheelchair).

It is not listed as fully accessible due to the height and placement of the toilet. This is a common issue with Carnival accessible cabins - and a core reason why many are listed as only modified accessible and not fully accessible.

It also does not have an automatic door opener (which I've found to be present on cabins Carnival lists as fully accessible).

Thank you for responding. Due to the lack of fully accessible cabins on the Dream, it is either try to make this cabin work or not sail with us. They have decided to try to make this cabin work, with the full understanding that the toilet is not an ideal placement. The Accessibility Dept. has already been informed to have a toilet riser seat available in the cabin, so that will take care of that issue. The placement of the toilet aside, it looks like this cabin will work and may actually be better than the fully accessible balcony cabin on deck 6 (which is not available). It certainly appears that cabin #11203 has more floor space for maneuvering around.