Wheel Chair Rental

I have a scooter, which I prefer to use aboard the ship so my husband does not have to push me. Unfortunately, so many of the excursions are able to provide for a wheelchair (both ship and private) but can not handle scooters. Since attempting to travel with both a scooter and a wheelchair is daunting, I was wondering if there are any companies that rent wheelchairs to be use aboard a ship.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds.

Keep smiling,

Mickey

You didn't state which cruise line .

NCL - only approved vendor is www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com

All other cruise lines have 2 approved vendors - www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com or www.scootaround.com

If not cruising NCL suggest you check with both and compare pricing.

IMPORTANT - at selected ports SpecialNeedsatSea requires you to pick up the rental items at a Kiosk outside the entrance of port terminal. Therefore if you select this company make certain that Rental Agreement states it will be delivered to your cabin and picked up from your cabin .

Thank you to both of you who responded. We are going to be aboard the Royal Caribbean Allure departing from Fort Lauderdale.

I will definitely contact both companies, to price match and determine if either or both companies deliver to the ship.

IMPORTANT - at selected ports SpecialNeedsatSea requires you to pick up the rental items at a Kiosk outside the entrance of port terminal. Therefore if you select this company make certain that Rental Agreement states it will be delivered to your cabin and picked up from your cabin .

We have had to pick up my husband's scooter twice from Special Needs at Sea at their kiosk right in from of the terminal entrance. There was no option of having it delivered to our stateroom.

Bringing your own scooter and picking up rental wheelchair at kiosk: if someone is traveling with you, you can pick up the wheelchair at the kiosk and the other person can push it to your stateroom while you stay on your scooter. An empty wheelchair is quite handy to use to carry your bag or whatever.

We have had to pick up my husband's scooter twice from Special Needs at Sea at their kiosk right in from of the terminal entrance. There was no option of having it delivered to our stateroom.

Actually you do have the option even if there's a Kiosk. The ports that SpecialNeedsatSea have kiosks they also have been vetted by the Port Authority, Homeland Security and the Cruise Line to deliver to the cabin and pick up from the cabin. SpecialNeedsatSea pushes the Kiosk as it's more cost efficient for its company as it takes less staffing and time. You certainly have the right to insist on it being delivered to the cabin and picked up from the cabin. If all else fails being that it's USA port you can ask for a "reasonable accommodation" per ADA .

Actually you do have the option even if there's a Kiosk. The ports that SpecialNeedsatSea have kiosks they also have been vetted by the Port Authority, Homeland Security and the Cruise Line to deliver to the cabin and pick up from the cabin. SpecialNeedsatSea pushes the Kiosk as it's more cost efficient for its company as it takes less staffing and time. You certainly have the right to insist on it being delivered to the cabin and picked up from the cabin. If all else fails being that it's USA port you can ask for a "reasonable accommodation" per ADA .

Oh thank you, well that does make sense about Special Needs wanting to have the kiosks. I actually like picking up the scooter at the kiosk. That way we have the scooter from the minute we get to the port until the last day where we drop it off close to where we catch our taxi back to the airport. When we have the scooter delivered to the room and have to leave it there, we have to have the ship's wheelchair assistance on arrival day and debarkation day. It's easier for us to have the scooter and be able to just drive (on and) off the ship without having to wait for one of the wheelchair pushers.

Oh thank you, well that does make sense about Special Needs wanting to have the kiosks. I actually like picking up the scooter at the kiosk. That way we have the scooter from the minute we get to the port until the last day where we drop it off close to where we catch our taxi back to the airport. When we have the scooter delivered to the room and have to leave it there, we have to have the ship's wheelchair assistance on arrival day and debarkation day. It's easier for us to have the scooter and be able to just drive (on and) off the ship without having to wait for one of the wheelchair pushers.

Another good tip for when the scooter is being picked up directly on aboard the ship.

On disembarkation day I drive the scooter to the wheelchair assistance area and do not leave it in the cabin. Make certain the original rental tag is affixed to the scooter with my name and cabin number and I write down the vendors serial number for my records. Every cruise line I've been on allows me to leave the scooter in the wheelchair assistance area and the cruise line makes certain it's picked up by the rental company. Just let the person know that checks you in at the wheelchair assistance area. Makes disembarkation day a little easier.

Another good tip for when the scooter is being picked up directly on aboard the ship.

On disembarkation day I drive the scooter to the wheelchair assistance area and do not leave it in the cabin. Make certain the original rental tag is affixed to the scooter with my name and cabin number and I write down the vendors serial number for my records. Every cruise line I've been on allows me to leave the scooter in the wheelchair assistance area and the cruise line makes certain it's picked up by the rental company. Just let the person know that checks you in at the wheelchair assistance area. Makes disembarkation day a little easier.

This I did not know. We will try it next time. Actually, we were on the Celebrity Equinox last month and someone left their rental scooter in Michael's Club (which has its own waiting room and wheelchair pushers) upon disembarkation and I wondered if we could just do the same.

I still like the "leave the scooter at the kiosk" upon disembarkation so we don't have to wait for the wheelchair pushers.