Is Aruba safe to hire private transportation for an island tour?

We are leaving in a couple of days on the Carnival Sunshine and one of our stops is Aruba. We are older and not very agile. The "easy" tours being offered don't seem to accommodate our wish to see the island comfortably. They offer a guided walking tour... but I don't think we would be able to keep pace for 2 miles... and a wacky bus tour that sounded like fun but it stops at a beach for 2 1/2 hours which I think is too long for us. This is our first time to Aruba and we really would like to get to see it and not just from the ship. Anyone out there have any advice or experience with this in Aruba?

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a week in Aruba a couple of years ago and can't wait to go back on cruise next year!

Easily one of the friendliest and safest islands in the Caribbean.

The cruise terminal is an very easy walk (heat permitting) to a very pretty shopping town of Oranjestad.

The butterfly farm was a great experience. The California Lighthouse is worth a trip, passing stunning beaches on the way. Our high light was the donkey sanctuary but we had to hire a car to get out to there. Free admission, donations ($$ and carrots) greatly appreciated. Best fun we've had for free!!

The beaches are amazing, we stayed on Divi Beach and walked up to Manchebo beach one afternoon. Time on a beach is a must, they are breath taking.

You could check out the Arubus.com for a bus route that may suit, if not probably plenty of taxis waiting to whisk you away. We only took taxi from Divi beach up to Palm Beach which was about $12 each way, so can't tell you more than that.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Aruba, they don't call themselves the friendly island for nothing!!

My husband and I rented a car on our last visit there. I researched the port here on these boards. We felt very safe and enjoyed our day on the island. The car rental was easy and they gave us a map also....