FORT LOUISBOURG - Syndey

Koali

We are interested in going to For Louisbourg when we are in Sydney on June 13. Does anyone know if costumed actors will be around at this time? Is there anything different that the ship's excursion provides other than transportation if you were to go on your own? I am considering renting a car since it half the cost of the ship's excursion price.

I found this online - hope it helps:

Visit in the summer (July 1 to September 14, 2018) to feel the ground shake from the blast of the cannon you’ve just fired or sign up with the Compagnies Franches de la Marine and fire an exact replica of an 18th-century musket. Savour soldier’s bread fresh from the stone bakery or the catch of the day in the ambiance of an 18th-century tavern. Play the role of the prisoner during the Public Punishment or satisfy your thirst for history and local spirits with a Fortress™ Rum tasting. Chat with fishermen, merchants, sailors, soldiers, and servants. Explore the beautiful beach and scenic hiking trails nearby. Enjoy one of the pub nights in the evening or stay the night to wake up in the past in a period-style home or an equipped 18th-century–style tent.

Visit in the spring (May 21 to June 30, 2018) or the fall (September 15 to October 14, 2018) to explore what life was like 300 years ago with our Time Travel program, including a taste of Heritage hot chocolate. Discover the taste and aroma of Fortress™ Rum and the story of this drink made from sugar, or enjoy one of our guided tours. Hunt for one of our geocaches, using your GPS device throughout the site. Marvel at the stunning views of both the sea and the Fortress from one of our hiking trails (open throughout the year).

I have read that the people are in period costumes and the shops are open in the fall through Oct. 14th, so I would assume the same is true for the spring time period. After Oct. 14th, it's a ghost town. The ship excursions after that point arrange to have a couple of re-enacters present with their shops open, which means that if you don't do an excursion, you're just walking empty streets.. So, my thought is that in June, you'd get the same experience as the excursions, since it sounds like much of the site is operating. Whether that is the full experience is open to question.

It will be shoulder season so there will be few if any costumed interpreters. It is sad but this is federal government cost cutting. However I don't think you will need a tour. https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/visit/heures-hours

Here is more information for cruise visitors to Sydney: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SHnC1bdaKtBLTr9bcJShb3a0escYZQKLWkZF4seT14I/edit

Thanks for the input! It is much cheaper for us to rent a car and pay for admission ourselves than going with the ship excursion. I had heard that it is similar to Williamsburg so as long as the buildings are open so we can do a self paced tour, we’ll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!! There are just some poeple who don't want to drive or can not. Is there a way to get to Louisbourg from Sydney without driving or without doing the ship tour thing??? We usually take a bus or taxi or something like that. But I am finding no information about this. Thank you in advance!

We visited on a Shoulder season - there was a uniformed soldier manning the gate, challenged us in French whether we were 'friend or foe' (not sure what he's supposed to do if you cannot answer back in French - maybe arrest you and put you in jail for a photo?).

We found that there were costumed interpreters in the smithy, bakery, one or two other places I cannot now 100% recall (one was an artisan of some kind, and the other I think a military clerk or officer in an office doing paperwork of some kind) plus a couple more wandering around. They all knew their stuff, fluent in English and French, and did add value to our self-tour. I felt that having the place almost to ourselves with only a few folks to chat with was just as good as if it had been busy but had a few more folks staging scenes - friends who went in summer signed up to fire the cannon and loved it (you also get to dress up, like with the musket lesson).

Personally I'd check on your roll call for others to split the rental/gas money with and save even more, as I recall several others over the years like muskatnuss above who are looking for a 'non drive' way to get there independently so odds are good you'll be able to find another couple to help out and build good karma while saving pennies;-)

We just returned from a Canada and New England on the Veendam. We had the most wonderful day in Sydney renting a car from Enterprise. We have two kids - 11 and 16 and the shore excursions are far too expensive for a family of four.

The Enterprise company met us at the pier and took us to their office. We drove to Glace Bay and visited the Miners Museum and had a tour of the mines with a retired miner. It was FANTASTIC. The admission was for the four of us was $48. The car rental was $61. We really enjoyed the tour. We then drove over to a lobster place on the wharf where they cooked 4 lobsters for us that were crawling around on the ocean floor a few hours earlier. We took them to a picnic table nearby and devoured them. It was a wonderful day for all of us. Shore excursion to Miner's museum was $89/pp.

Similarly, in Charlottetown, we rented from Enterprise again and toured the Red Sands south shore out to the Confederation Bridge, had lunch in Victoria by the Sea on a wharf and toured Cow's ice cream on the way back. Another fabulous day done for 1/4 of the price of the shore excursion.

We just returned from a Canada and New England on the Veendam. We had the most wonderful day in Sydney renting a car from Enterprise. We have two kids - 11 and 16 and the shore excursions are far too expensive for a family of four.

The Enterprise company met us at the pier and took us to their office. We drove to Glace Bay and visited the Miners Museum and had a tour of the mines with a retired miner. It was FANTASTIC. The admission was for the four of us was $48. The car rental was $61. We really enjoyed the tour. We then drove over to a lobster place on the wharf where they cooked 4 lobsters for us that were crawling around on the ocean floor a few hours earlier. We took them to a picnic table nearby and devoured them. It was a wonderful day for all of us. Shore excursion to Miner's museum was $89/pp.

Similarly, in Charlottetown, we rented from Enterprise again and toured the Red Sands south shore out to the Confederation Bridge, had lunch in Victoria by the Sea on a wharf and toured Cow's ice cream on the way back. Another fabulous day done for 1/4 of the price of the shore excursion.

I will check out the prices for Enterprise if they meet you at the pier. Was is easy to drive around in Sydney? I was going with Avis since I get a discount with work but we would need to walk 30 minutes to their office or take a taxi. There’s only 2 of us so the cost savings is not as much as a family of 4 but still much less than ship shore excursion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have no trouble driving around Sydney. Likely a map will do but you can always pre-download google maps and use them with your phone even without your data turned on.

Thanks for the great information Martincath. I have not been to Louisbourg in shoulder season so it is good to know it is worthwhile.

Sprockie, you made great use of your time and money. Going in May/June/early July does mean you are there during lobster season. Where on the wharf did you get the lobster?

You will have no trouble driving around Sydney. Likely a map will do but you can always pre-download google maps and use them with your phone even without your data turned on.

Thanks for the great information Martincath. I have not been to Louisbourg in shoulder season so it is good to know it is worthwhile.

Sprockie, you made great use of your time and money. Going in May/June/early July does mean you are there during lobster season. Where on the wharf did you get the lobster?

Enterprise is the company that "picks you up", so they pick you up at the pier, then drop you back at the pier. Extremely friendly staff. It's very easy to get around Sydney.

Lobster Season starts today in Glace Bay (different regions have different start and end days of the season). The lobster we had were from further north of Sydney. The lobster shop we went to was Pittman's Lobster. It's not a restaurant - just a small shop on the dock that ships lobster for orders. They will cook them for you - whatever size you want, then at the end of Water St., we found a very small park with 4 picnic tables where we ate our lobster (I brought napkins, wet naps etc.) They will crack the shells so it's easier to get at. Best lobster I've ever had.