Anthem shower temp. flucuations

I wanted to ask this a few times but haven't gotten around to it. We only went on Anthem once last year but absolutely loved her. Had so much fun, and we are gonna sail on her next year to Bermuda. Anyway we had a regular balcony and I noticed the shower temperature would fluctuate between cold, cool, and then hot to very hot. I don't remember that on any other cruise I have been on. Is that normal? Did anyone else find this to be the case? Is it something I could have complained about and possibly had fixed? Believe me it didn't ruin anything or the cruise. This is more a curious question on my part.

Do you mean that it fluctuated while you were in the shower, or that the shower was hotter or colder depending on the time of day, even when it was at the same setting?

I mean that while taking a shower the temp would fluctuate between cold, cool, hot and real hot. Maybe just my cabin.

Anyway we are looking at booking Anthem to Bermuda next spring. Anthem is amazing. Two 70 has to be the coolest room/venue at sea.

Yes, you should have mentioned it, and it would likely have been a quick repair. Most commonly, the scale that forms on the inside of the pipes from the chlorine and the calcium carbonate in the water, stays in place on the pipe walls. When a section of piping system is shut down for repair, the scale dries out and falls off. This frequently results in the discolored water folks see and complain about. This scale tends to collect in the small strainers in the shower mixing valve (one for cold, one for hot), and this causes the blocked side to have reduced pressure. The thermostatic mixing valve then tries to compensate by closing or opening the other side of the valve to match, overshoots, and then goes the other way. The plumbers could shut off the shower water, remove the strainers and clean them in about 5 minutes.

Yes, you should have mentioned it, and it would likely have been a quick repair. Most commonly, the scale that forms on the inside of the pipes from the chlorine and the calcium carbonate in the water, stays in place on the pipe walls. When a section of piping system is shut down for repair, the scale dries out and falls off. This frequently results in the discolored water folks see and complain about. This scale tends to collect in the small strainers in the shower mixing valve (one for cold, one for hot), and this causes the blocked side to have reduced pressure. The thermostatic mixing valve then tries to compensate by closing or opening the other side of the valve to match, overshoots, and then goes the other way. The plumbers could shut off the shower water, remove the strainers and clean them in about 5 minutes.

Another thing for my "things to remember" file. Thanks Chief!

I adore your explications. :)

Holy cow that was awesome. Thanks for the very detailed info. I will remember that for next time. I'm one of those people that absolutely hates to complain about anything especially on a cruise.

Guest maddycat

We just returned from a 9 night Anthem cruise. I had a similar problem in the shower. The water went from hot to cool and then back to hot again while I was showering. Now I know that this is not normal and can be easily fixed.