Things you must buy, places you must eat at or shop at!

vacationlover_mn

Shop at Caribou Crossings in Juneau. They are so nice! Authentic items/crafts, christmas ornaments, and the Ulu Knife. Easy walking distance from the port.

For Craft beer lovers you know that the ship has crap to drink as far as beer goes. A new brewery just opened in Skagway called Klondike Brewing and they have excellent beer. They are right across the street from the Red Onion Saloon and Brothel. (which is also a neat place to tour)

Then you can go to Skagway brewing for food and beer, but their beer is not nearly as good as Klondikes.

Definately do the Crab Feast in Ketchikan if you can. So good!

Do a Salmon Bake in Juneau or Skagway. Both are good and basically must be run by the same company as the food is almost exact. The one in Juneau has a nice waterfall to walk up to, but the one in Skagway has panning for gold and a neat little show. I absolutely hate salmon but the grill on this and the glaze they put on it was absolutely the best.

Skagway was our favorite port.

On our first trip we bought a small totem pole (about 12") which sits on our dresser. I like the idea of supporting the local economy. My daughter collects key chains that she hangs from a peg board; some of those can be local. Magnets, which probably are from China, are a small item I tend to buy. Of course there are always the jewelry stores......

We rented a car in Skagway and drove to Carcross. In Carcross there was a Dutchman in wooden shoes selling framed watercolored art of the buildings in town from the back of his truck. We have his painting at home next to a picture we took of the building he painted. Amazing memories everyday I look at it. Worth more to me than any piece of art purchased aboard at the art auction.

Almost hate to say this but when I was in Alaska the first time (1984) I asked the lady running the BnB I stayed at in Anchorage about where the best place was to buy some real Alaska made items at a reasonable price. Surprisingly, she said Kmart. So, I went to Kmart and she was correct. A lot cheaper than at the stores in port.

However, I would suspect in this day and age one would be lucky to find anything in a Kmart (assuming it is still there) that isn't made in China.

Best souvenirs are those bought from the person who made them.

I have a small totem pole from a Tlingit Indian in the Saxman Native Village. I also have a small painting from the lady that painted it. Don't remember where I purchased it. Wife collects ornaments from the various ports that represent the area.

Thank you for starting this thread. This is my first trip to Alaska so I am looking for all of the helpful advice I can find.

First question: My travel companion wants to buy a small totem pole, any suggestions as to where we can find one?

I too am looking for photos of Alaska to purchase, I found this website http://www.bearheadphoto.com and the photographer has a shop in Skagway, has anyone been there? Any other suggestions? We will be in Skagway Ketchikan and Juneau (possibly Anchorage).

I also saw an add for Annie Kaills in Juneau. I'd love to get some "affordable art", I'm just a simple girl on a budget.

Thanks

If you like Elephant Ears (that's what we call them in Indiana), then stop by The Klondike Doughboy and get yourself an Alaskan Fry Bread. They are elephant ears/knee patches/whatever you call them - fried dough with cinnamon and sugar...YUM! Best one I ever had!

Thank you for starting this thread. This is my first trip to Alaska so I am looking for all of the helpful advice I can find.

First question: My travel companion wants to buy a small totem pole, any suggestions as to where we can find one?

I too am looking for photos of Alaska to purchase, I found this website www.bearheadphoto.com and the photographer has a shop in Skagway, has anyone been there? Any other suggestions? We will be in Skagway Ketchikan and Juneau (possibly Anchorage).

I also saw an add for Annie Kaills in Juneau. I'd love to get some "affordable art", I'm just a simple girl on a budget.

Thanks

Actually, thank you for the advice on Bearheadphoto. I went to the website and IMMEDIATELY bought DW the 18 month calendar. That guy is one HELL of a photographer!

Thanks again! :D

Oh - and you might try this place out for figurines (totems) They're in Seward, I believe:

https://onceinabluemoose.com/index.php?main_page=index

Edited by RandallFlagg

For the record - you CAN buy Ulu knives on Ebay and Amazon - yes, from Alaska. Matter of fact the ulu factory sells directly on Amazon. I don't know what the prices are in Alaska proper - but on Amazon, 35-45 dollars.

I paid $10 for one in Ketchikan & have it to a friend who loves it & uses it every day. They will ship it home for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love this thread. I leave for our trip tomorrow. I ALWAYS buy Christmas ornaments. It seems that the only other things I will be shopping for this trip are beer, fudge and knifes! Oh, and soap. The soap store in Juneau sounds amazing.

kathy

I love this thread. I leave for our trip tomorrow. I ALWAYS buy Christmas ornaments. It seems that the only other things I will be shopping for this trip are beer, fudge and knifes! Oh, and soap. The soap store in Juneau sounds amazing.

We always shop for an ornament (or, something we can use as an ornament at least) and local beers ( my husband is an avid homebrewer & craft beer imbiber ;-) My favorite place to shop for souvenirs is grocery and drug stores (not always quite so applicable in the US but still....For AK I do come home with various types of salmon!)

I got a handmade necklace from one of the shops in Skagway. Watched the guy make it. A pipe made from an antler for my dad in Ketchikan. And I love the glacier soap I got in Juneau. We also tried the beer made from Spruce tips in Skagway. I collect beer glasses from all the craft breweries I visit so that was an interesting addition to my collection.

Actually, thank you for the advice on Bearheadphoto. I went to the website and IMMEDIATELY bought DW the 18 month calendar. That guy is one HELL of a photographer!

Thanks again! :D

Oh - and you might try this place out for figurines (totems) They're in Seward, I believe:

https://onceinabluemoose.com/index.php?main_page=index

Thanks for the website, it looks like a great place to shop!

kathy

We buy ornaments too! Enjoy your trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If she is going to use it rather than just display it, I'd get it with the cutting board. The board has a bowl shaped depression that fits the knife curve which is handy for chopping with the Ulu.

I think the bowl and ulu sets are about $35 for the 8" ulu. Less for smaller ones, but I think the 8" is better.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

We seek locally-produced greeting cards and frame them nicely when we get home. Easy to transport, and we can imagine the work and focus that went into the composition by the artist.

Great idea. Since I live in Florida, I fear buying something that the airline will toss out. Then there is the weight limit on bags to consider.

If you love clam chowder, you must go to Annabelle's in Ketchikan - it is fantastic and my husband is from Cape Cod so he is a big critic......go early.....the line gets long to be seated.

I too am looking for photos of Alaska to purchase, I found this website http://www.bearheadphoto.com and the photographer has a shop in Skagway, has anyone been there? Any other suggestions? We will be in Skagway Ketchikan and Juneau (possibly Anchorage).

Thanks

Definitely stop in Bearhead Photography in Skagway! It's on the corner before Skagway Brewing. The photos are gorgeous and if Barrett's around, he's interesting to talk to. I also second Annabelle's in Ketchikan, the seafood chowder was good too, along with the Dungeness crab!

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

Great idea. Since I live in Florida, I fear buying something that the airline will toss out. Then there is the weight limit on bags to consider.

Knives in checked bags are fine. If you're worried about what you can carry, always check the Gov website https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

[can't help you with avoiding overweight charges - you'll have to handle that on your own;p] Also note that some stores will offer to ship things home for you at an additional charge....

Knives in checked bags are fine. If you're worried about what you can carry, always check the Gov website https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

[can't help you with avoiding overweight charges - you'll have to handle that on your own;p] Also note that some stores will offer to ship things home for you at an additional charge....

If you use luggage valet to check your bags from your ship to SEA, they don't weigh your bags ;-)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I buy magnets everywhere I go. I know, I know, made in China. But, I have a whole display of them and I love seeing all the places I've been. Other than that I'm prone to t-shirts and sweatshirts.

However, I also like to get jewelry. Earrings mostly, sometimes rings. And I try to get locally made. In Ketchikan there is a jewelry store on Creek Street. Pretty sure it's local. I bought a ring there with little gold nuggets and it's the only piece of jewelry I wear every day. I really love it. So, in Ketchikan, I always head straight to that store.

In Juneau it's the Alaskan Fudge store for sure. Of course, the souvenirs I buy there don't last til I get home.

Since I've been a few times I don't need any more magnets or sweatshirts. I don't need jewelry either but that's another story. Anyway those puzzles sure look interesting. I think I'll check out that store.