Single Supplement

A cruiser who travels alone upfront normally pays a single supplement of 100%. That is, the fare will be twice that of each passenger in a twin cabin. So that the cost = (2x fare) + (2x taxes and fees).

If I'm right, this seems a bit unfair on the single cruiser.

To the OP (Sinbad): I believe that this generalisation is not quite true and you need to differentiate between individual cruise lines.

Further to my post #14 above, I have checked another two solo reservations I have and found that all three list the port expenses, taxes & fees as separate items and only charge these for one (1) passenger. The cruise lines are Celebrity (see earlier post), Royal Caribbean and NCL.

For comparison I just priced a Princess cruise (which includes the taxes/fees in the price but tells you how much they are) and found that they indeed charge a full 100% extra for a solo cruiser.

The answer is more single cabins or more special offers of "no single supplement". In the meantime, I continue travelling where I get value for money.

I just paid $89 for single room with a view in Sydney and $119 for a twin room. Prices were not double for a twin room.

A thread in the P&O Oz board has got me thinking. It was about what happens when the second passenger in a twin cabin can't go. The first passenger can inform the cruise line and will then be reimbursed for the cost of taxes and fees for the second passenger. In other words, the cost of the cabin for the now single cruiser will = (2x fare) + (1x taxes and fees).

A cruiser who travels alone upfront normally pays a single supplement of 100%. That is, the fare will be twice that of each passenger in a twin cabin. So that the cost = (2x fare) + (2x taxes and fees).

If I'm right, this seems a bit unfair on the single cruiser.

No it is not correct. A single cruiser only pays their taxes. If a single cruiser was to add someone to their existing booking then there would be outstanding taxes owed.