Arrival time at Tracy Arm Fjord

sneadae

Can someone tell me more about the time in Tracy Arm Fjord? We are on the Carnival Legend in June. I'd like to book a spa appointment on the day of Tracy Arm Fjord, but I don't want to miss anything. How does this "stop" work? Would an 8:00 AM spa appointment be a good time to not miss anything? Or an early evening? Thanks for your help.

I am curious also because spa appointments on this day are a bit less than other days.

We are booked on the Legend in July. My understanding is Tracy Arm Fjord is "scenic cruising" where the ship does not actually stop. You just enjoy the scenery going by. We booked the up-close glacier tour at 1130.

As to what times are better, I would love to hear from previous cruisers.

So we did this excursion. However, as with most cruises to this area in the past few years, none are making into Tracy Arm, we went to Endicott Arm Fjord instead, there was too much ice in the Tracy Arm fjord. Anyway, yes, the ship starts cruising into the fjord early in the morning. We did the first excursion. The boats we're on cruise a bit faster to get us down to the glacier. We stopped along the way to see wildlife, some tucked in waterfalls, etc... then we had time at the glacier, which was awesome!!! The rocking on the boat with the glacier calving was so cool! Anyway, as we were finishing up, the Legend had then cruised down the fjord, about 3-4 miles from the glacier (the boat for the excursion gets within 1/2 mile probably). Then we rode back to the Legend, got on the ship and the 2nd excursion boarded the boats to go over to the glacier. Once we were back on, the Legend then started to sail out of the fjord, while the excursion boat spent time at the glacier. As we neared the end of the fjord, the 2nd excursion boats had caught back up and those passengers got back on.

So, my advice would be to look at the Carnival site for that excursion, see what time the first one starts, and the length of the excursion. According to my search, they do an 11:00 a.m. & 2:30 p.m. excursion. So basically what I'm saying is around the 2-3 p.m. hour would be the time the Legend would be closest to the glacier. But there's a lot to see along the way as well.

I would also recommend the first excursion. I thought it was nicer to be down there earlier. We also had the better weather earlier. It was nice and sunny!

A collection of the calving

27958297774_0bc3a0c087.jpg

This guy was so cute!

27960184693_e98a079886.jpg

Bear on the side of the fjord...

28497376321_bf51a7b2f5.jpg

Being on the small boat excursion, we got into smaller areas to see this!

28469245032_27afb0d0eb.jpg

Would it be better to book a spa appointment at 8:00 AM or 4:30 PM? We don't want to miss anything!

I would say completely up to you, although if I had to choose, I'd pick the later one. Although, it will also depend on what you're doing, how long the appointment is, and when you're going to dinner. We did Anytime Dining on our cruise for the first time, just because of the longer days.

kctwinmommy - Are the photos you posted from Endicott Arm Fjord? I haven been worried about not getting into Tracy Arm, but the photos you posted are beautiful.

Yes they are and it was beautiful! I guess if you haven't been to Tracy Arm, you don't know what you're missing. We really enjoyed it and it was so pretty. The little waterfalls were kind of neat, I just wasn't expecting it!

And this is what it looks like when you're going towards it.

28497371891_902aeca4ef.jpg

This is what it looked like from the ship once we got back aboard the Legend

27960158123_e915fd9e28.jpg