Trip Report: CCL Legend, Alaska, Very Photo Heavy! And it's late, from Sept. 2017

Tennessee Rose

You should be very proud of the pictures you got. With the super cloudy weather you had, it's not easy to get the detail you got in your pictures, especially those in Glacier Bay.

You chose the perfect week for your cruise. I've always cruised early in the summer, but early Fall was just gorgeous.

Thank you for sharing your cruise with us.

Thank YOU! We chose the time we went (1st week of Sept, also CCL's last Alaska cruise of the season) mainly to have the Glacier Bay day. I wondered about whether there would be any fall colors. What we saw was just another bonus! But, I did see some pictures from another cruiser on another line about 2 weeks later than ours and they had even more fall colors! So, if the rain/mist is okay for you, then fall is a spectacular time to visit.

Thank you again for the wonderful review and all of the photos. I can't wait until it's our turn to go.

You are welcome! You are going to have a wonderful time' date=' I promise![/b']

They do now we are going June 12th and super excited for this trip - my heart about dropped out when you said no Guys had to go check the ship and guess they must have added it during the last dry dock - I love Guy's burgers

Jaime, my cruise buddy, just told me this past week that Legend has it now or getting it. I just found that she's in dry dock right now and supposed to go back in service later this next week! And, yes, she is getting both Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana Cantina during the dry dock updates! Breathe easy now! And have a fabulous time on your cruise. Wish I could be on there with you! Our next cruises, a first time back to back out of Mobile, isn't until Nov.-Dec. :loudcry::loudcry:

Wonderful pictures! And the Ketchikan pictures were perfect. They always have rain!! Great report.

Thank you!

Thank you for this review! We are leaving for this trip in a couple of weeks and I can't wait! Your review has helped pass the time...beautiful pictures!!!

You are very welcome! And I know how slowly those last few weeks take to pass. Wishing you a wonderful time in Alaska!

Edited by Tennessee Rose

Fantastic review! I love your pictures. Glad you had such a marvelous time. :)

Thank you----I love taking pictures and also love sharing them.

Thank you for this review. I agree, you have a great eye for detail and took excellent pictures. I have never done an Alaskan cruise but this looks like fun.

You are most welcome, and I appreciate the compliment! Especially, now that I've been there, I think everyone should do at least one Alaska cruise! We had actually talked about it for a year or more before we finally just said "let's do this!" And before you know it, we had actually booked.

Since these book up pretty soon after being made available, you might want to start looking for that 2019 or even 2020 cruise! :D

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and photos. All the pics were great. My fave is the seal in the rain!

We sail on Legend in 16 days, and you provided some very helpful info!

You're welcome! Did you notice that the little seal's nostrils form a heart? They were the cutest things and worked so very hard to try to catch those fish. But, we didn't see much "catching", just a lot of jumping at them. I'm sure they catch enough for them to keep working at it!

We are booked for September 16th so I am really excited about your review. It's wonderful to get some idea of what it will be like. We booked it in July last year so it's a long wait!

We leave for 2nd Alaskan cruise out of Seattle in Sept. I am so excited I can hardly sit still. Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures.

I know---I get anxious just looking at the calendar when my cruise date is so far out. When I start dreaming about the places I'm going, I have to just shut down cruise thoughts completely! As long as everything is booked and paid for, I try not to even look at anything until about 3-4 weeks out! I think this is called an addiction---but it's a great addiction to have!

Thank you so much! I have started taking more and better photos on recent trips but you have really inspired me to take even more. I love all the beautiful landscapes that really set the mood and make me remember how much I love Alaska. We will be on a HAL cruise for 2 weeks in July, going all the way to Kodiak and Anchorage.

Thoughts on this cruise:

I had been really excited about going to Alaska and about being on Legend. But this cruise far exceeded what I expected. Alaska, the southeastern ports we visited, is incredibly beautiful. I had read others’ reviews of Legend and how much everyone seemed to like this class of ship. I now fully agree, having experienced it myself. I love the size and the layout; it is very easy to get around and she’s a beautiful ship. Of course, I want to go back! And on Legend!

To those of you who have your first Alaskan cruise booked and are just counting down the days, you are going to be amazed and in awe. I promise. To those of you who have already been there, you know exactly what I'm talking about! Our Earth has so many beautiful and unique areas and this is definitely one of them. At least, to me. I'm sure there are similar areas that many of you "have" seen and visited, but I had never been to any place like this. It just makes me want to see more and more!

Thanks for visiting my report, and being patient with the amount of time it took me to finish. Happy Cruising, everyone!

Thank you so much for sharing, we are setting sail on August 28th 2018 for our bucket list Alaska cruise, we are doing Seattle to Seattle with Glacier bay, 8 day so it was exciting to see your post. Was it Freezing cold most days? Seems like it only rained bad in Ketchican? we are trying to organize ourselves and there are 17 of us! All adults. flying in from Houston.

Thank you so much! I have started taking more and better photos on recent trips but you have really inspired me to take even more. I love all the beautiful landscapes that really set the mood and make me remember how much I love Alaska. We will be on a HAL cruise for 2 weeks in July, going all the way to Kodiak and Anchorage.

I get teased about taking so many vacation pictures, but I really enjoy it. With digital cameras, it is so easy to take as many as you want. You can cull and save the best later. I would love to go farther up, and isn't Kodiak an area known for more bears? Some day.......I'll go again! Have fun!

Thank you so much for sharing, we are setting sail on August 28th 2018 for our bucket list Alaska cruise, we are doing Seattle to Seattle with Glacier bay, 8 day so it was exciting to see your post. Was it Freezing cold most days? Seems like it only rained bad in Ketchican? we are trying to organize ourselves and there are 17 of us! All adults. flying in from Houston.

We had some mist and rain almost every day, but yes Ketchikan was light to medium rainfall all day. By the time we were leaving, it was a pretty steady rain. We had peeks of sun in Juneau and Glacier Bay, but mostly cloudy. In Skagway, it was a bit cloudy when we docked, a little foggy going up our drive starting on the Klondike Hwy.--just a short time, then it cleared out for most of our day. Then, we had light rain from just before entering back into the U.S., some heavy fog for about 10 minutes coming back down the pass, then it was a very light mist back down in Skagway.

We had no bright sunny days, except for the morning of our first sea day and the morning of our last sea day. Still, we had a great time.

Temps --- They ranged anywhere from upper 30s/low 40s in Glacier Bay to high 50s/low 60s on our Skagway day. You can see us in short sleeves on our drive day! We had light jackets with us, then wore long sleeves with fleece and light jackets the rest of the time. Some days I wore 2 pairs of socks and was fine.

You are going to love this trip---have tons of fun!

Absolutely stunning photos and wonderful commentary! Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us! You sound like you would be a great travel companion as you have a great attitude. So many people write trip reports and complain throughout, but you kept an upbeat, happy attitude and (therefore) had even more incredible trip. Thanks again! :):):)

NOTE about LEGEND-----I just read that apparently during Legend's drydock in the last couple of weeks the 4K interior French Door cabins had those doors that actually could be opened replaced with floor to ceiling windows. So, no more fresh air for those cabins. They have changed the description to "obstructed view interior". You still pay a premium price for those.

If you were looking at these simply because of the French doors, just be aware they no longer exist. I personally would still book these cabins. Especially near the rear elevators! Love that location.

Thank you so much for sharing such an amazing review. The narrative and photos made me feel a part of your trip.

Thank you for the compliment! That's exactly why I wanted to share it. Plus, it's easier to see things from photos than from me trying to describe them. And I love reading other people's reviews---that's what I've been doing all afternoon! ;p

Absolutely stunning photos and wonderful commentary! Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us! You sound like you would be a great travel companion as you have a great attitude. So many people write trip reports and complain throughout, but you kept an upbeat, happy attitude and (therefore) had even more incredible trip. Thanks again! :):):)

You are very welcome! And, well, I "think" I'm an easy traveller, except for not getting to go nearly as much as I would like! Complaining won't get you anything except a big ole headache. I choose to be happy and just go with the flow. If something doesn't work out the way I would like, I just see it as an unexpected opportunity!

And this was an incredible trip! Thanks for "traveling along".

Loved reading your Alaska post and seeing the beautiful pictures. We've done the Alaska cruise 2 times with NCL and are taking the kids & grandkids (18 total) this summer on the Carnival Legend. We can't wait!! I hope that I can share my adventures as eloquently and thoroughly as you did from the angle of traveling with a large family group of 5 to 65 year olds. I agree with you that everyone should go and see and experience Alaska. And when you do, you'll likely return bringing people that you love to experience the wonder of Alaska!

Loved reading your Alaska post and seeing the beautiful pictures. We've done the Alaska cruise 2 times with NCL and are taking the kids & grandkids (18 total) this summer on the Carnival Legend. We can't wait!! I hope that I can share my adventures as eloquently and thoroughly as you did from the angle of traveling with a large family group of 5 to 65 year olds. I agree with you that everyone should go and see and experience Alaska. And when you do, you'll likely return bringing people that you love to experience the wonder of Alaska!

Wow, that sounds like a fun time! Yes, I would love to take my sister to Alaska. She has never been. The only problem is that she is always freezing and can't stand the cold! I suppose she could find a window seat to camp at, but I would definitely be outside at every opportunity. I think you will like Legend---she is an easy ship to navigate. I hope to be reading a trip report from you later on, and I want to see pictures and more pictures! Have a great cruise!

First, I'm sorry this is so late! This is my very first trip report on CC, even though I've actually written some up in the past. I would always be so late with getting them written and downloading/organizing photos that I was embarrassed to even submit them. So, I didn't.

But, it seems like there just have never been a whole lot of photo reports for Alaska cruises during my searching the last few years, so I'm doing this anyway! By the way, our cruise was in September 2017. Some things may have changed, but most will be the same. I just hope that my crazy number of photos will show those who have never been to Alaska just why I name it my favorite trip so far. It is just gorgeous.

So, hop aboard and I hope you enjoy!

LaRose

Thank you for posting, regardless of timing. We have Alaska planned for this year and I LOVE every single picture and piece of information I can get my hands on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for you review and lovely photos, esp of Glacier Bay. The autumn colors you captured were a surprise to me — we’ve been in California for so long, I’ve forgotten what Fall looks like

We will be on our first ever Alaskan cruise the same September week as yours. I’ll be the one bundled up with the hand warmers.

My only big concern is the walking distance you described (I think it was Juneau) back to the ship. Like you, DH doesn’t walk well. How far did you end up having to walk?

Thank you for posting, regardless of timing. We have Alaska planned for this year and I LOVE every single picture and piece of information I can get my hands on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are very welcome. And I understand----I'm still looking at everything Alaska! Maybe that wasn't my "one and only" cruise there?? Probably not!

Btw, I just found another new Alaska trip report being done right now. I think her CC name is "parentsof5". You may want to check out her report; she's at about day 2 or 3 of their cruise. Her descriptions and photos are wonderful.

I wish you a fabulous cruise; it will be incredible!