Losing my points

tigger54

We havent cruised in a while and we are silver club members. I checked the website and the expiration is in this July. We are thinking to book Seaside for next year. I am wondering if we will still lose membership even if we book now?

We havent cruised in a while and we are silver club members. I checked the website and the expiration is in this July. We are thinking to book Seaside for next year. I am wondering if we will still lose membership even if we book now?

I'm afraid so. You would need to actually do a cruise before the expiration date to retain your points.

hmm.. food for thought. If you get Black from status matching and if it expires then can you resubmit a status matching to get back Black? Or is the Status matching one time thing? Based on this assumption, loyal MSC pax are the once getting short end of stick it they build their loyalty then have it disappear if not cruised within 3 years.

hmm.. food for thought. If you get Black from status matching and if it expires then can you resubmit a status matching to get back Black? Or is the Status matching one time thing? Based on this assumption, loyal MSC pax are the once getting short end of stick it they build their loyalty then have it disappear if not cruised within 3 years.

NO

Status match is a one off match

fyi

when the loyalty club was first established it had the three year rule then, so in actual fact it is only going back to what it was.

I've been a member of the club (first as MSC club then as Voyagers club) since it began in 2006 and worked my way up from Silver (my first level was silver as they counted my 2005 cruise in at the club inception) to Gold. Once there they introduced Black. I worked my way up to that and got there in 2013. Just before they introduced the Voyagers club and drastically reduced the benefits, followed very shortly after by the Status match.

I fully expect a new level to be introduced soon and then i'll trying to get to the new level.

Pete

Pete ... Would you still try to get to any new level/ levels if MSC decide to status match at that level ?

it depends where the points are pitched

at the moment I have 21800

Seaview will add 1000 + 200 to 400 spend +100 bonus for reviewing your information

Magnifica will add 1000 + spend (200 to 500)

Total in November will be at least 24300 with possibly some more spend points to add

(21800 + 1000 + 200 + 100) + (1000 + 200) = 24300

so if the new level is 25000 that is one more cruise

any less and i'll get it as a result of these 2 booked cruises (eg 20000 I'm already there)

any more eg 30000 it'll be not worth pursuing

Status matching won't affect the above thinking

Does MSC have any matching status from any other cruise lines like RCL & CELEBRITY??

george35

any other cruise line

plus a lot of hotel loyalty schemes and some travel company loyalty schemes but NO airline schemes

Pete ... If MSC put in a new level and status match people at that level beyond existing card holders who worked their way to Black would certainly make me reconsider booked cruises with them.

Does MSC have any matching status from any other cruise lines like RCL & CELEBRITY??

george35

Tell us your status in each cruise line and I can tell you what status match you will receive from MSC, in all cases.

Albeit I got black status through status match I do feel it is unfair on loyal MSC cruisers who have spent thousands on cruises and may have not yet attained black. Especially when Princess have stopped you adding P&O points to Princess status. Maybe the status match should only get you to max Gold, you would still get the 5% discount which is in my opinion the most lucrative part of the benefit.

Pete ... If MSC put in a new level and status match people at that level beyond existing card holders who worked their way to Black would certainly make me reconsider booked cruises with them.

I hadn't viewed it like that, and you're right, unless they have a cap at Black for Status Match then I would seriously consider going back on RCI where I am Diamond

There is no possible justification that MSC can use to status match beyond Black, there is certainly none where someone who has never sailed MSC have a higher level for a first cruise than a.Black card holder who has earned it with MSC. In fact the same applies to anyone who has earned Gold.

I have only sailed once on MSC. Would you please tell me how the points are used. Thank you.
The points are earned according to the stateroom and number of nights. The points are not used, but they accumulate as you cruise more and more with MSC.

When the accumulated points cross particular levels, you get certain perks for your upcoming cruises with MSC. See the MSC website for full information.

The points lapse after 3 years, but are automatically renewed (for another 3 years), if you cruise with MSC before they lapse. Its a good way of ensuring continued loyalty to MSC, while allowing you a break (from cruising with MSC) for up to 36 months.

The status match that MSC offers is unprecedented and amazing. No other cruise line has anything like it.

Edited by drsel

This is a very informative thread. How soon after your cruise do your accumulated points get added to your current Voyagers balance? We have just returned from sailing May 19th - 26th. Does it take days, weeks, or months before we see those earned points show up? Thanks.

Ours took around two weeks from the end of our cruise on May 5th.

Great! And does this sailing reset the 3-year countdown for us....so we would have until May 2021 to sail again before losing all our accumulated points, right?

Pete ... Would you still try to get to any new level/ levels if MSC decide to status match at that level ?

Dave ... I have 33,600 points at present, with 5 more cruises booked for the next 16 months, so I'm, for sure, not sailing with MSC in the hope of attaining any new level that may (or may not) be introduced. I've never sailed MSC just to get through the levels. However, it was exciting at the time to finally reach Black - and then the axe fell on MSC Club soon after and Voyagers Club came into being, followed closely by status-match. That really took the shine off it.

Should a new tier be introduced and included in status-match, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it, but if there are any more cuts to the Black Card benefits, that may be a straw too far for me; I was royally cheesed off on Splendida that the cruise consultant did nothing for Black Card holders about the 'one per cabin' speciality restaurant perk, despite receiving numerous complaints and the fact that it was a 28 night cruise.